The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Event asp8 - wow
Old 17th September 2010
  #61
I just bought a used pair of ASP8's for $225 so it's not worth buying just the amp new. There is a way of replacing some of the chips on the circuit board but it doesnt seem like an easy task for a beginner.
Old 14th October 2010
  #62
Gear interested
 

schematic

Hi all,

I attached the schematic. Hope it helps some people. I took this apart with my dad (we're both amateur electronics people) and we think that the U1 LM3886 is the culprit. You can buy this on the internet. Make sure that you get it with the right package option. You can find it on the board and describe it to digikey or some other company on the phone to make sure that you get the right one. I didn't get a chance to replace it yet.

Hope this helps,
Shaun
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ASP8_6_schematic.pdf (910.4 KB, 520 views)
Old 14th October 2010
  #63
Gear Maniac
 
Dizzi45Z's Avatar
 

I too will add that I love my ASP8's. I've had mine for over 3 years now. I've been lucky to have a control room where there is lots of space behind me. It is kind of funny that lots of people mention that there are lots of highs and lows for them. In my situation, and my room, the mids are great, the highs are good and the lows are just a bit weak in the 120ish area. But I double check them with a set of headphones and then they seem to translate very well. I hope they last through a few more years.
Old 14th October 2010
  #64
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I too will add that I love my ASP8's. I've had mine for over 3 years now. I've been lucky to have a control room where there is lots of space behind me. It is kind of funny that lots of people mention that there are lots of highs and lows for them. In my situation, and my room, the mids are great, the highs are good and the lows are just a bit weak in the 120ish area.
Lows below 100hz are good (or at least 'there', but not tight).

100-250hz (or 300) are low-mids to me and I've always felt the ASP8's were the weakest in this area. It concerns me 'cos it's the 'mud' area.
Old 14th October 2010
  #65
Lives for gear
 
Rokus666's Avatar
Event Electronics is the worst company. Event ASP8 turned to be totally unreliable and short lasting. Customer service is is really bad, slow, distracted and unhelpful. Two times I have ordered parts from them and both two times I had to wait extra long, and the items didn't arrive on the promised date.
Old 22nd October 2010
  #66
Lives for gear
 

it depends what the part is.. the tweeter on my SP8s died on a Thursday...called them and I had a new replacement in my hands by Monday for 70 bucks... but I have a friend still on their waiting list for a tweeter for the old PS8s.....
Old 22nd October 2010
  #67
Gear addict
 

Old 27th October 2010
  #68
Lives for gear
 
Rokus666's Avatar
And durability of a radio shack product!!! bad experience with Event ASP8 and PS5 overall!
Old 18th November 2010
  #69
Gear interested
 

Unhappy

well. I have a pair of ASP8's and I just love them!

But something had happened to one of them (I suspect it's the static discharge that punctured some amp components - in the winter the air is so dry I emit lightnings all around.. stike) - the trim controls for highs and lows and sensitivity control just won't affect the sound in any way. I had to turn the sensitivity knob on the other, unaffected montor, all the way up to MAX to match to the broken one.
Also, turning the HF trim away from 0db neither boosts nor cuts highs, but introduces some kind of a slight distortion to the sound.

Other than that, it still sounds great, but lack of the ability to fine-tune it needles me pretty much.

I live in a place where finding a decent specialist on audio gear is almost impossible.. The warranty is over ages ago. Contacting event tech support doesn't seem viable - they once answered me it's the tweeter that is in fault, and that I should buy a new one - hah. It was a few years ago, and now that they pretend as if they never made any other model but Opal.. I don't want even trying again.

Maybe someone could give an advise? I can do basic soldering The problem is how do I locate failed components? By comparing them one by one with a tester to the ones on the healthy amp?

Thanks for any reply!
Old 20th February 2011
  #70
Gear interested
 

I have 5 Event ASP8's soffit mounted in my studio and 3 of them have failing power amps. I would just replace them with some thing else but my soffit bezels are cut to fit them and would be a pain to replace. I'm wondering if there is anyone out the willing to build me new power amps or walk me through building them. Failing that I may just put in a passive crossover, seal the backs up and power them externally. Any one have a schematic of the crossover in the passive version of these?

Thanks for any help.
Old 20th February 2011
  #71
Gear Head
 

Also a fan of my ASP8s! The one thing i'll say is that I probably coulda done with the ASP6 since I hardly ever need that much volume. And they are on the brighter side if you keep them flat but i lowered the highs slightly on the back and they translate really well.
Old 15th August 2011
  #72
Gear interested
 

Event SP 8s passive/crossover

Hi Everybody
Did anyone every come up with info about a crossover for these speakers? I have four of them and 2 have blown out... either the tweeters or the amps. I'm pretty disgusted with the quality of these speakers. I'm considering making these passive if it is indeed the amps..
Thanks so much
Old 9th September 2011
  #73
Lives for gear
 
Rokus666's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtweaker View Post
I did some reverse engineering and installed a pair or Silenx 120mm fans on my ASP8's. The holes lined up perfectly and there's a thermal sensor that turns the fans on when the backplate reaches a certain temp. The fans are dead silent also so it doesnt disturb my mixing. Seems like they keep the backplate quite cool which in turn helps lower the inside speaker temps.

How do you power the fans ?
Old 5th October 2013
  #74
Gear Head
 
median's Avatar
 

Old 5th October 2013
  #75
Lives for gear
 
Rokus666's Avatar
Wrong thread to post in
Old 5th October 2013
  #76
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokus666 View Post
Wrong thread to post in
Nah....posting here will notify the 'subscribed' base of this thread, who might not be looking at this very moment for his GS classified ad.
Old 5th October 2013
  #77
Gear Head
 
median's Avatar
 

Hey thanks Fleaman . My Event SP8s are in great shape. They need a good home!
Old 26th November 2013
  #78
Gear interested
 

What is best sub to couple with ASP8's?

Hey guys,

I am new to this site here and i am appreciative of everyone's feedback.

I just got my hands on a great condition pair of used Event ASP8's. They sound great but the the bass seems a little underwhelming. I heard they last longer if you have the low pass filter depressed.

My question is, what is a good sub to couple with these monitors?

Thanks!
B
Old 26th November 2013
  #79
Lives for gear
 
Rokus666's Avatar
muddy speakers, bad amp design!
Old 6th November 2016
  #80
Here for the gear
 
godface9's Avatar
 

Event asp8 mods

Well I just modded these beast speaker which by the way I love, They were making the thumping noise for about a year now just off and on so I lived with it. But finally took them on after research. Im posting some pics here, Let me start by saying they were tuff for me to work with Ive been soldering and modding pedals and basic opamps and gear for the last year so just be careful not to break or fry things if your a nooby at soldering otherwise you should be fine. OK~ The bass farting noises Ive read from a bad bass roll off push button/switch on the back, you know the one -the 80hz roll off yes that needs to be replaced, its cheap and at digikey here PS-2206-L NS C&K Components | Switches | DigiKey it was recommended to also replace the big power supply capacitors in there ,its a good idea all the years of abuse and heat in there has probably taken its toll. You can find those at digikey as well there cheap 10000uF 50volt caps.Ok 3rd thing now is to go to frys or somewhere that sells thermal paste, the stuff you put on your computers cpu to keep it cool, I got a 3 pack of the cheap antec and it was plenty enough, Ok so your going to want to remove the aluminum block off the pcb board and clean with paper towel and alcohol, whatever old thermal crust thats on there. Theres 4 connection points that attach to the pcb board and then the block attaches to the backplate of the speaker all contact points should have new thermal grease applied after cleaning, btw if you take an old toothbrush and dip in alcohol you can clean any crude off the pcb board by brushing it, its fine and wont hurt anything. Ok so far youve replaced the switches and the power caps, 2 switches one for each and 4 psu caps ,2 for each.. Before I applied new thermal paste I took out the crappy wool like material in the speakers and cut up some of the foam I had hanging on my wall I just sized it the the wool pieces that were in there, this made a huge difference in the sound of these in a good way so do it if your repairing these!! in order to put foam in the bottom compartment of the inner speaker I had to remove the Big A## Power transformer that was attached with an allen bolt and nut, Just stick one hand in and hold the bolt and transformer with one hand and allen bolt with the other should come off pretty easy. I did it in this order, Solder caps and switch, remove trans Refoam, then Thermal grease. They sound awesome now, And I loved them before! One more thing on the back panel just take a small flat head screw driver to pop off the plastic covers over all the screws < I didnt bother keeping any of those now all the allen bolts and scews are easily accessible if I need to get in there in the future. Also I layed a piece of soft material down on a workbench and layed the speaker flat on its surround and tweeter while doing all the work, They are recessed just enough so laying it on its tweeter and sub wont touch them at all. Well good luck Slutz it was very fun to do, Time consuming for sure but worth it , be care getting those caps out /I had to use alot of solder rope and alot gentle back and forth tugging to get them loose~~ You got this! peace guys
Attached Thumbnails
Event asp8 - wow-dsc04386.jpg   Event asp8 - wow-dsc04388.jpg   Event asp8 - wow-dsc04390.jpg   Event asp8 - wow-dsc04391.jpg   Event asp8 - wow-dsc04392.jpg  

Event asp8 - wow-dsc04393.jpg   Event asp8 - wow-dsc04395.jpg   Event asp8 - wow-dsc04399.jpg  
Old 7th November 2016
  #81
Lives for gear
 
Rokus666's Avatar
Hello there godface9,
Thank you for the reply. I was just thinking yesterday about what to do with these speakers, as they are sitting in the storage.
They have a low frequency thump. I am sure this comes from the power amp design flaw, as I had few power amps break in the past. Can you please point me to the modding resource, and the parts list? I would surely like to do this myself, as I can not sell them, or keep using them with the low frequency thump. It is just annoying.
Old 8th November 2016
  #82
Here for the gear
 
godface9's Avatar
 

event mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokus666 View Post
Hello there godface9,
Thank you for the reply. I was just thinking yesterday about what to do with these speakers, as they are sitting in the storage.
They have a low frequency thump. I am sure this comes from the power amp design flaw, as I had few power amps break in the past. Can you please point me to the modding resource, and the parts list? I would surely like to do this myself, as I can not sell them, or keep using them with the low frequency thump. It is just annoying.
Ok cool Rokus Im glad to be of service here, really. Anywho the low Freq thump is a bad switch, if you push it in and out it will make the same noise ,after time they fry and go bad"because of the heat" . The little push button on the back for 80hz roll off very cheap a couple bucks found here PS-2206-L NS C&K Components | Switches | DigiKey OK now while i was in there i replaced the 2 power supply caps, the big black ones they are 10000uF 50volt caps I think mine were 3 or 4 bucks a piece at digikey here we go
SLPX103M050E7P3 Cornell Dubilier Electronics (CDE) | Capacitors | DigiKey
NOW, if your good at soldering you can pull this off no sweat, speakers will be like new NO THUMPING. But to try and insure this doesnt happen again you need to remove the big aluminum heatsink "cant miss it " its held on by 8 allen screws but i used a star bit to get them out without stripping, take that off remove any old thermal residue and apply new thermal paste, like in my pics to the back plate of the speaker where the heatsink attaches and also to the 4 pins connecting it to the pcb board . "I bought my thermal paste at Frys electronics but any place that sells computer parts and whatnot will know what it is and or have it" , If you can do all that you will have brand new speakers! You probably dont even have to replace the big caps but might as well. So the foam idea is up to you in the end there is alot of mixed opinions online about putting high density foam in speakers but I like what it did to the bass response on mine , much tighter but I must admit they were good before as well.Point is if you have extra lightweight foam to spare do it if not dont worry about it. These are great monitors and should last a good long time after this. I hope it all works out, take your time do it right ,then sit back put on some tunes and enjoy the fruits of your labor my friend. peace - anymore questions feel free to ask
Old 9th November 2016
  #83
Lives for gear
 
Rokus666's Avatar
Wow!!!
thanks for the great info, I am totally capable of doing this light soldering work myself.
I had power amps break on me before, and it costed 250$ a piece to replace them.
Is it just the matter of re-applying the thermal paste behind the heat sink in order to resolve the heat issue??? Little skeptical about this, but I will follow your advice. Yes, as they heat up too much, I have put 120mm fan on the back of the power amp, and that helped circulating the air flow, but the thump still happens, and hopefully the switch will completely resolve this issue. I am really hoping this will work. I like these speakers, but I completely trashed this thread because of their bad power-amp design.
I have occasionally seen people charging 600$ plus to mod these speakers...


Also, in the past, I had a high frequency noise on the tweeter, before it blew up...and that worries me as well....
Is there anything else to do to this power amp in order to ensure this kind of problems do not occur again???

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godface9 View Post
Ok cool Rokus Im glad to be of service here, really. Anywho the low Freq thump is a bad switch, if you push it in and out it will make the same noise ,after time they fry and go bad"because of the heat" . The little push button on the back for 80hz roll off very cheap a couple bucks found here PS-2206-L NS C&K Components | Switches | DigiKey OK now while i was in there i replaced the 2 power supply caps, the big black ones they are 10000uF 50volt caps I think mine were 3 or 4 bucks a piece at digikey here we go
SLPX103M050E7P3 Cornell Dubilier Electronics (CDE) | Capacitors | DigiKey
NOW, if your good at soldering you can pull this off no sweat, speakers will be like new NO THUMPING. But to try and insure this doesnt happen again you need to remove the big aluminum heatsink "cant miss it " its held on by 8 allen screws but i used a star bit to get them out without stripping, take that off remove any old thermal residue and apply new thermal paste, like in my pics to the back plate of the speaker where the heatsink attaches and also to the 4 pins connecting it to the pcb board . "I bought my thermal paste at Frys electronics but any place that sells computer parts and whatnot will know what it is and or have it" , If you can do all that you will have brand new speakers! You probably dont even have to replace the big caps but might as well. So the foam idea is up to you in the end there is alot of mixed opinions online about putting high density foam in speakers but I like what it did to the bass response on mine , much tighter but I must admit they were good before as well.Point is if you have extra lightweight foam to spare do it if not dont worry about it. These are great monitors and should last a good long time after this. I hope it all works out, take your time do it right ,then sit back put on some tunes and enjoy the fruits of your labor my friend. peace - anymore questions feel free to ask
Old 9th November 2016
  #84
Here for the gear
 
godface9's Avatar
 

Okay , Mine didnt have any thermal paste on the part of the heatsink that attaches to the back plate, only on the 4 attachments to the pcb board. And even then the paste was basically powder after years and years and probably not doing much to Dissipate heat, With computer Cpu's is suggested to add new thermal paste once a year or two, So cleaning and reapplying new paste I believe should really and truly keep this thing cool for the next 5 years in my eyes/ I got the idea from a DIY forum where a guy was working on these. As for the thump its the push button 80hz switch for sure , Ive heard the heat melts them but when I looked at mine after busting them apart I could see corrosion in the metal sliders for the push button, The corrosion Im sure was caused by heat and humidity. Okay now the high pitch sound out of the tweeter I personally have now experience with but my guess is the power caps blew up. that can cause that kind of sound. Otherwise I would have to take a multimeter and probe around to find the problem , it could be several things including needing a whole new rebuild but i doubt it. Soldering out the switch is kinda tough its a very tight squeeze to get the solder gun in there without burning up stuff so be careful, the switches were also tough to get out after I removed the solder so I just grabbed some pliers a back and forth them out coincidentally pulling the switch apart hence me seeing the corrosion inside of them . I definitely recommend changing the Power caps while your in there if your not sure how old there ect. Mine have been running flawlessly and I truly expect them to be maintenance free for the next altleast 5 years but im thinking 10 to be honest. You could also add some big heatsinks to the outside of the backplates just by aligning the 4 screws up drilling some holes in the after market heatsink and using the same screws the attache it to the backplate, Im sure that would help pull the heat further away from the pcb and speaker. That will be my next move if these switches fry but Im not anticipating that to be honest. Keep us posted Rokus on how it goes man , peace brutha.
Old 11th November 2016
  #85
Lives for gear
 
Rokus666's Avatar
Thank you Godface9,

I am definitely going to put the aluminum heat sinks on the back of the speakers outside the speaker enclosure. It makes logical sense.
Is there any particular dimension of the heat sink I should get?
Would I mount it just by drilling screw holes through it, and applying thermal paste in between? I never mounted the heat sink anywhere, except on CPU, which was pretty easy to do.

Also, I have seen people replacing insulation foam with auralex, supposedly tightens up the bass response... Kind of interesting, because I was never fond of the bass on these speakers.

This will be a nice rainy-day-sit-at-home project.
Old 16th November 2016
  #86
Gear Nut
 

So great to see there's still love for these monitors.

Love the photos, thermal repasting is an excellent idea as heat is this speakers biggest enemy.

I love them too, shame they're built like crap...

Anyway, bought mine new in 2008 everything was fine until in wasn't.

Tweeter hissed when turned on then stopped after a few minutes so i ignored it until one day poof! smoke came out and it was toast, literally, this was about 4 years ago.

I was initially looking for a new pair of tweeters then but after research found out that the amp was the culprit but i also needed a new pair of tweeters so long story short i shipped amps and tweeters from Greece to Texas (yup Texas) as the guys i found on ebay apparently only work on these speakers and could repair the lot.

This also happened during the time when the dollar shot up against the euro and my amps where already in Texas so i couldn't do anything about it except pay more.

Amps got back whenever hooked them up everything was good until earlier this year there was a power cut and one of the amps wouldn't turn on luckily none of the drivers where hurt and i got it repaired here in Greece and also made sure the amps where matched etc.

Allz good for now apart from the excessive rattling in one cabinet which i resolved by using a big clamp i noticed it sounded really tight so i've done it on both speakers, i was thinking about taking it apart and regluing the front panel but i don't know how hard or doable it would be.

Clamps work fine for now.Ugly fine...
Attached Thumbnails
Event asp8 - wow-img_0440.jpg  
Old 16th November 2016
  #87
Lives for gear
 
Rokus666's Avatar
The rattling could also be a loose wire inside the cabinet vibrating against the bass tubing...just make sure to check this just in case...




Quote:
Originally Posted by benevis66 View Post
So great to see there's still love for these monitors.

Love the photos, thermal repasting is an excellent idea as heat is this speakers biggest enemy.

I love them too, shame they're built like crap...

Anyway, bought mine new in 2008 everything was fine until in wasn't.

Tweeter hissed when turned on then stopped after a few minutes so i ignored it until one day poof! smoke came out and it was toast, literally, this was about 4 years ago.

I was initially looking for a new pair of tweeters then but after research found out that the amp was the culprit but i also needed a new pair of tweeters so long story short i shipped amps and tweeters from Greece to Texas (yup Texas) as the guys i found on ebay apparently only work on these speakers and could repair the lot.

This also happened during the time when the dollar shot up against the euro and my amps where already in Texas so i couldn't do anything about it except pay more.

Amps got back whenever hooked them up everything was good until earlier this year there was a power cut and one of the amps wouldn't turn on luckily none of the drivers where hurt and i got it repaired here in Greece and also made sure the amps where matched etc.

Allz good for now apart from the excessive rattling in one cabinet which i resolved by using a big clamp i noticed it sounded really tight so i've done it on both speakers, i was thinking about taking it apart and regluing the front panel but i don't know how hard or doable it would be.

Clamps work fine for now.Ugly fine...
Old 16th November 2016
  #88
Gear Nut
 

Thanks Rokkus, unfortunately the rattling is from the cabinet itself at low frequencies.

The ASP8s always had low freq rumble, clamping really makes them sound tighter.
Old 17th February 2017
  #89
Here for the gear
 

I just used a service I found through eBay to repair the amps on my ASP8s. They had everything wrong possible! I just got them back, repair was 150$ plus shipping to TX only. They sound better than ever. It was so easy. And like a 2-3 week turnaround pretty good I thought. You can search it on eBay or go through his web site at https://www.occpb.com
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
affinitysound / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
40
skiroy / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
4
ericcsong / So much gear, so little time!
0
youngmain / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
chumusic / So much gear, so little time!
2

Forum Jump