The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Caig fader lube? Is it effective? Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Caig fader lube? Is it effective?

Hi chaps,

Ive replaced a snapped fader in an old Soundtracs mixer, the replacement was a perfect match but unfortunately was a used part that i got from someone else.

Ive soldered it in and the fader works but i had a lot of crackle and also some uneven /deadish spots at a couple of positions of the faders travel, mostly at about 2/3rd's of the travel it looks to drop about 3db on the left side, but when i nudge it up a bit it will pickup again and both channels will be matched (im using a mono input on channel 1 panned in the center and looking at the L/R output led meters..)

After soldering the part in and putting it back together i have to say i zero intention of desoldering it and trying to open it to clean, what i did do though was take it apart and managed to get a small cotton bud dipped in some Isopropyl alcohol and clean the slider tracks from the top of the slider, this seemed somewhat successful as a fair amount of dirt and grime seemed to be removed.

Once powering the mixer back up the crackling seems a bit better but i still have this uneven/ deadish spot that i talked about earlier...... so i was thinking of buying some Caig Fader Lube from ebay, this one:
Caig fader lube? Is it effective?Caig Deoxit Fader Lube Potentiometer Oil and Cleaner 14g. | eBay

Now before i go wasting £15 on this, im wondering how effective this product will be and if i can expect it to fix my problem?
This Caig stuff is supposed to be some sort of conductive oil solution?

I thought i could squirt a couple of drops into the slider opening at either end and work the fader back and forth a bit....

The faders are 60mm, 10K i think they are originally panasonic although the ones in the mixer have no markings on them but they look exactly like this:

Any thoughts on this would be most helpful. Thanks
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
If you have a 'deadish' spot as you describe it could actually be a damaged track which will not 'repair' even if you clean it.
Rather than expensive cleaner you may be better getting some new faders. They have the symbol M on the one in your picture which I believe is Matsu****a (Panasonic).
Farnell may have these faders in stock.
Matt S
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Farnell dont stock them, predictably the part has been discontinued:

EWAQ12C15B14 - PANASONIC - POTENTIOMETER, SLIDE, 10K | Farnell UK

:(

I dont see how the track could be worn away, i mean i guess it could but....
Is that Caig stuff any good the fader lube?
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Addict

I use Caig faderlube and it's generally fine - but it won't heal really worn pots. Use enough to flush dirt and worn carbon dust away, but you do have to deal with excess drippings. If the pot is too worn, noises will come back, even if it seems like a miracle at first.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search