The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EDAC crimping tool?
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

EDAC crimping tool?

Im looking to make some EDAC cables soon, and need the crimping tool. Where would be the cheapest place to pick one up?

Or... On the off chance, anyone have one used that you would be willing to sell?
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Hi
You could just get the solder pins not crimp if you are only making a few cables up.
You also can then bypass the 'extractor' tool which gets important if you go for wiring changes (or mess up!).
You can remove individual pins with small screwdrivers etc, but not realistic for whole connectors full of pins.
Matt S
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

The crimper I bought years ago was manufactured by Paladin and was a lot less expensive than the "official" EDAC tool. Plus, I like the way it operates better. IIRC, I bought it from Redco but it might be available elsewhere for less money.

Paladin 1670 | Redco Audio

Bri
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Amazon is selling them.

Denny
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Check craigslist ebay etc too. I know a local person is selling a crimping tool (I can't vouch for them, I just noticed the ad a few days ago: Studio wiring tools, for Edac/elco connectors | pro audio, recording equip | City of Halifax | Kijiji).
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks everyone!
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

I have used generic Radio Shack crimpers with success.
Of course, you must use the correct size, and know what a good crimp looks like.
And buy some extra pins and practice to achieve proper crimping.
The "pull test" is one of a first-order quality-control measures recommended.
For high-reliability, soldering after crimping is a good practice, IME.
Old 1st February 2019
Gear Maniac

Old thread, but figured this is a relevant question:

Is this (Edac Crimp Tool | Redco Audio) the tool that should be used for EDAC "3 pin" type connector?

If I'm doing a few cables is there another method short of buying a crimper that I could use? I'm repurposing a few snakes I have to marry them to an Audio Accessories EDAC patch bay. Any new cables I usually just have Redco whip them up.

I'm not an ace, but I can wield a soldering iron with some competency.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

EDAC pins are all the same, from the 3 pin connectors up to the jumbo multipins.

Bri
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianroth View Post
EDAC pins are all the same, from the 3 pin connectors up to the jumbo multipins.

Bri
Thanks Brian. I thought so, but I thought it was worth checking.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search