The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
any urei la22 experts?
Old 9th July 2014
Lives for gear

any urei la22 experts?

hey
i just received a la22 with only one side working properly. the second channel only works in "narrow" mode. it passes signal in "wide" mode as well but no compression is shown or heared. any idea where to start the search?
Old 9th July 2014
Lives for gear

here is a block diagram. would it be right to assume that the first vca (below the filter) is gone bad?

what does the + with the circle around it symbolize (lightly to the right) ?

cheers
Attached Files
File Type: pdf la22.pdf (125.4 KB, 182 views)
Old 10th July 2014
Lives for gear

nevermind this thread.
i bought this thing as broke since ch1 was supposedly stuck and ch2 not doing anything (which was my problem as well). it went for 70 quid on ebay as non working.

turns out ch1 was stuck since the link mode was selected, and ch2 was not compressing since terminal 5&6 were not connected on the terminal blocks. therefore nothing fed into the detector. poor seller - lucky me i guess. does feel akward though. kind of like the soccer match last night. dont know if i should flip out or feel sorry for someone else.
anyways.... please delete this thread. or keep it in order to prevent more people from selling working la22s as broken.
Old 10th July 2014
Deleted User
Those are good compressors. I also like the Urei LA12. Have a few here.
Old 10th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
Those are good compressors. I also like the LA12. Have a few here.
yes, im just playing around with it. an la2a it isnt it is VERY transparent. impossible to distort almost. i like it a lot. reminds me of the older audio design vca stuff. i was missing something this clean and the filter section makes it really easy to tackle difficult frequency peaks. i guess ill have to learn it some more - but i do not complain considering what i paid for it
Old 10th July 2014
Deleted User
It definitely has a VCA sound to it. I prefer them to the more common DBX compressors that are also based around VCAs. Recap it and it will sound even better. If I remember, it has a bunch of TL072's in it which can be left alone or upgraded.
Old 11th July 2014
Lives for gear

i was just about to order some new caps. but im a bit confused since the two big caps near the heatsinks are labeled 1000uf on my board while they are supposedly 2200uf according to the manual. what should i go for?
Old 11th July 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
i was just about to order some new caps. but im a bit confused since the two big caps near the heatsinks are labeled 1000uf on my board while they are supposedly 2200uf according to the manual. what should i go for?
2200uf would be my choice. I think that's what I approximately used, maybe larger. Check the measurements beforehand to make sure they fit. Going too tall would be a problem.

Also, the LA12 and LA22 have known heat dissipation problems. Many people, including myself, have drilled holes in the top of the enclosure to keep the voltage regulators from frying. It's a know problem and has been talked about on GS, so use the search key if you are concerned and want more info.
Old 11th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
2200uf would be my choice. I think that's what I approximately used, maybe larger. Check the measurements beforehand to make sure they fit. Going too tall would be a problem.

Also, the LA12 and LA22 have known heat dissipation problems. Many people, including myself, have drilled holes in the top of the enclosure to keep the voltage regulators from frying. It's a know problem and has been talked about on GS, so use the search key if you are concerned and want more info.
hey Frank

thanks again. ill go for 2200 then. i checked the heat but honestly its not so bad on my unit. i tried it only with the lid off - but the heatsinks seem to do their job. its warm in that area but not everly hot like some people said. when mounting the lid it looks as if the heatsinks will touch the top and therefore get "expanded" by it.
Old 12th July 2014
Lives for gear

...one more thing... does anyone know what exact neutrik connectors are used? both inputs have dodgy contacs.
Old 27th March 2016
Here for the gear

LA-22...

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
hey Frank

thanks again. ill go for 2200 then. i checked the heat but honestly its not so bad on my unit. i tried it only with the lid off - but the heatsinks seem to do their job. its warm in that area but not everly hot like some people said. when mounting the lid it looks as if the heatsinks will touch the top and therefore get "expanded" by it.

The Power Supply section was good enough but ran hot, which prevented stacking the units on top of each other. The consequent heat build-up of multiple units when used in already warm ambient temperature rooms could sometimes make the sandwiched units max temperature exceed the internal Polyfuse transition temperature and the things would shutoff.

The LA-22 was manufactured by Harman Electronics for JBL Professional, shortly after the acquisition of the UREI brand. The LA-22, LA-12, and LA-10 use completely different level control technology compared to the older optically based designs. I was the Product Manager responsible for the specification, development, manufacturing and marketing for electronic products, made by the JBL Professional division of Harman International Industries from the late 80's thru mid 90's. The LA-22 was in the portfolio.

The LA-22 was originally aimed, feature-wise, at live concert use whereby the parametric filter bank side-chain that could be patched in for controlled-bandwidth gain reduction or expansion provided vocalstressing function or de-essing etc and was also very helpful to control feedback in problematic spaces. Equally useful for permanently installed systems also. I understand a lot were sold to radio stations.
Interestingly, it took off well in the recording and studio side of the industry for it was I think the only one with such a features at that time, certainly expansion specific. The machine's features were originally specified from the perspective of high SPL / live concert sound performance and control, which was my prior background.
I did quite a few products during my time there. I have a pair of LA-22's that I still use every other week.

Noisy Neutrik connectors? - try just resoldering their PCB pads and give the pins a clean also.

-Steve
Old 29th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegatee View Post
The Power Supply section was good enough but ran hot, which prevented stacking the units on top of each other. The consequent heat build-up of multiple units when used in already warm ambient temperature rooms could sometimes make the sandwiched units max temperature exceed the internal Polyfuse transition temperature and the things would shutoff.

The LA-22 was manufactured by Harman Electronics for JBL Professional, shortly after the acquisition of the UREI brand. The LA-22, LA-12, and LA-10 use completely different level control technology compared to the older optically based designs. I was the Product Manager responsible for the specification, development, manufacturing and marketing for electronic products, made by the JBL Professional division of Harman International Industries from the late 80's thru mid 90's. The LA-22 was in the portfolio.

The LA-22 was originally aimed, feature-wise, at live concert use whereby the parametric filter bank side-chain that could be patched in for controlled-bandwidth gain reduction or expansion provided vocalstressing function or de-essing etc and was also very helpful to control feedback in problematic spaces. Equally useful for permanently installed systems also. I understand a lot were sold to radio stations.
Interestingly, it took off well in the recording and studio side of the industry for it was I think the only one with such a features at that time, certainly expansion specific. The machine's features were originally specified from the perspective of high SPL / live concert sound performance and control, which was my prior background.
I did quite a few products during my time there. I have a pair of LA-22's that I still use every other week.

Noisy Neutrik connectors? - try just resoldering their PCB pads and give the pins a clean also.

-Steve
Yes, all well and good, but do you qualify as an expert?...
Old 29th March 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPower View Post
Yes, all well and good, but do you qualify as an expert?...
You want my qualifications? how about multiple degrees in theoretical physics and electronic engineering to Masters level combined with 30+ years in professional audio product development and entertainment engineering / touring with some of the the biggest, baddest and best artists.
Old 29th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
You want my qualifications? how about multiple degrees in theoretical physics and electronic engineering to Masters level combined with 30+ years in professional audio product development and entertainment engineering / touring with some of the the biggest, baddest and best artists.
It was meant ironically.
Old 29th March 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPower View Post
It was meant ironically.
ok
Old 11th April 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Best GS post of all time.
Old 11th April 2016
Quote:
That amount of accomplishment deserves a name. Maybe we have met back in my "Forrest Gump" audio past?
Old 11th April 2016
Lives for gear

dont know who digged this up. but the la22 is running for quiet some time
pretty boring comp ... i like the sidechain for certain things though.
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear

Fair enough, but boring isn't the word I'd use for it. Just uncoloured and clean, even though there is a transformer in the audio path.

One of the best PA system compressors I've used over the years, and probably better than a Dbx 160A' as a FOH system compressor.

Last edited by ray_subsonic; 7th June 2019 at 02:49 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search