The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neutrik Connector Differences?
Old 6th July 2014
Gear Nut

Neutrik Connector Differences?

HI, I'm searching around and can't seem to find the difference between these two. About to order a bunch of cables from Redco so I'd like to get it right!

Can anyone tell me the difference between NC3FXX/NC3MXX vs NC3FX and NC3MX?

Thanks!
Old 6th July 2014
Gear Addict

This information is on Neutrik's website. The series descriptions, datasheets, and product guide will tell you everything you need to know.
Old 6th July 2014
The NC3F/MXX uses the newer style "streamlined" low, lock-release tab which allows it to fit under the Neutrik outdoor rubber sealing jackets. The much more common NC3F/MX uses the standard "serrated" narrow lock-release tab, which won't work with the outdoor rubber sealing jacket.

Functionally they are the same, unless you expect to need to weather-proof your cables.
Although the "XX" tabs look modern & cool, the "old-school" NC3F/MX style release-tab is actually easier to use.
Old 7th July 2014
Gear Maniac

I haven't had any trouble using the XX thumb release, but maybe that's not the case for everybody.

One difference I've noticed is that the XX male connector shells are less likely to be dented in the area of the latch, and therefore not latch properly. The latch receptacle is an indentation inside the shell, rather than a hole in it (X-series), and so far seems to survive abuse better.

There is also more room inside the connectors between the solder cups and strain relief. This doesn't matter all that much, but if you tend to cut the jacket back farther than needed, the XX will stand a better chance of grabbing the jacket rather than the wires themselves.

On the newer XX connectors the boot screws inside the shell, rather than outside. This should make it more resistant to crushing and breaking if stepped on or rolled over, although I can't say I've had many of the old ones fail this way. If you want to colour code your connectors after they've been soldered to the wires, you can install the XXR rings without unsoldering anything. The BSX coloured boots for the X-series required the wires to be unsoldered.

GEoff
Old 10th July 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks guys. I didn't think it was much of a difference, but good to know. I actually couldn't find the specification on the Neutrik site, oddly. They had other variations of the XX series but not the basic one, oddly. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.
Old 10th July 2014
Gear Addict

Yeah, there isn't much of a difference, which does make it hard to find the differences on the sheets! Have used 'em both, dig 'em both.

Best wishes,

Chris
Old 7th July 2017
Here for the gear

Just a couple times recently we have had some problems with the XX series not mating properly with other connectors. Connector not fully seating/clicking in causing phantom power popping on and off (...can be very problematic over a PA).

We've noticed that the X series we have say "Made In Liechtenstein" and the XX say either "Patent Pending" or something vague like "Designed and Manufactured for the US Market". I didn't see the master carton so I don't know if it said the same thing or Made in Liechtenstein like the others, but there are knock off Chinese Neutriks out there and it's worth looking at when you order them if you're worried about the quality.

Most of the time it won't matter unless you're working with broadcasters or pro A/V people who are used to a certain connector style and reliability.
Oh well. There's my two cents
Old 4th August 2017
Gear Nut

Thanks Mate!
Old 2nd December 2019
Here for the gear

I had the same question and found this video helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8uFiiQvW-Y
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search