The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oberheim Battery Replacement
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

Oberheim Battery Replacement

Can anyone tell me how to replace this type of battery? It's an Oberheim Prommer.

Do I desolder the leads at the pcb, or do I desolder where the holder touches the battery?

The service manual says I don't have to remove the circuit board to replace the battery, but it doesn't say any more. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Desolder the leads from the p.c board !!
You cannot desolder the leads on the battery: These are welded and heating with a soldering iron may cause the battery to explode.
And there are real nasty chemicals inside….

Desolder the battery and find a battery clip (coin cell holder) that can hold a standard coin battery of the same type, in this case probably a BR2032/CR2032.
These battery clips can be obtained at Mouser, Farnell, DigiKey or other suppliers.
Always disconnect the unit from the AC before starting your soldering job.
And note the polarity of the battery: The + is clearly marked on the p.c. board and so make sure the + of the battery clip is connected there.
Changing the battery the next time will be much easier to do !
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for your advice and helping me not blow anything up! I am looking on Digikey and there are many different holders for 2032 batteries. How do I determine which one to get?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

The important thing is the right size.
Measure the distance, on the pc board, between the two soldering pins of the battery and look for a battery holder that has the same size.
Check the Digikey part number 103K-ND, maybe that one fits…..
But double check this for yourself !
When found and before fitting:Check the polarity and make sure the + is on the right side.
And make sure the AC to the Prommer is not connected while you work.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Ok thanks again, I've ordered one and hopefully it will work.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old thread i know.....but I'm jumping in for battery replacement for my M1000. Quick question....do I need to remove and flip the PCB to desolder and resolder the battery? Or can I get at it from the top? If its a removal...I assume that I remove all of the screws holding down the PCB....AND remove the entire heat sink that the PCB is attached to? Or am I over thinking it?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search