The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
repairing SPX 900 - replacing battery / condition of power transformer
Old 16th January 2014
Gear Addict

repairing SPX 900 - replacing battery / condition of power transformer

Hello. Appreciate the help.
How would I go about attaching a new battery to the board if the +/- contact flaps have broken off? Do I replace the flaps and If so, do I solder them or cold solder them to the battery?

Also judging by the pics, is this transformer leaking? Does it look done in?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
repairing SPX 900 - replacing battery / condition of power transformer-20140113_203159.jpg   repairing SPX 900 - replacing battery / condition of power transformer-20140113_203041.jpg   repairing SPX 900 - replacing battery / condition of power transformer-20140113_203015.jpg  
Old 16th January 2014
Lives for gear

1) If you know what kind of battery it takes, you can buy a matching new battery clip and solder it in place. Do not attempt to solder to any battery.

2) Transformers don't "leak". What you are looking at is the result of the "potting" process that makes the coil windings and insulation more "solid".
After assembly, they dunk the whole thing in a liquid resembling lacquer and allow it to dry. Some runs off before it is dry and that is what you see.
This is perfectly normal and not an indication of anything wrong with the transformer. Do you suspect that the transformer has some kind of problem?
Old 7th August 2020
Here for the gear

if anybody knows which battery the spx 900 requires as a replacement, pleas tell me.
Old 8th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by aciiid View Post
if anybody knows which battery the spx 900 requires as a replacement, pleas tell me.
Here you go https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-for...-/281798180997
Old 8th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
THX for the tip!

Now i have got another problem :face palm:

How to solder the new battery properly on the board?
I have already bought the new battery and a battery holder, but it seems impoosibe to solder the holder onto the board.

if got the same situaiont as in the first picture of the thread starter.

maybe any tips?
Old 9th August 2020
Unplug/unsolder the holes where the original battery was. Then put in the new battery and solder it in place.
Is the holder you bought compatible with the existing holes? You can unplug the holes with a vacuum solder extractor and a wooden toothpick. Best of luck!
Old 9th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Unplug/unsolder the holes where the original battery was. Then put in the new battery and solder it in place.
Is the holder you bought compatible with the existing holes? You can unplug the holes with a vacuum solder extractor and a wooden toothpick. Best of luck!
hey thx for the tip!

i already managed the to change the battery, the problem is that there is at least only one pin hole and another plated part.
unfortunately i was not able to extract the solder, even my desolder-gun did not work.
so i used 2 small wires to connect the pins on the board to the batteryholder.

the spx 900 still works but it still indicates Warning Low Battery
i also tried to go thew the reset procedure but nothing helped.

its not a big deal because the unit works but im a bit confused why it still indicates this message although i have changed the battery...
Old 10th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by aciiid View Post
hey thx for the tip!

i already managed the to change the battery, the problem is that there is at least only one pin hole and another plated part.
unfortunately i was not able to extract the solder, even my desolder-gun did not work.
so i used 2 small wires to connect the pins on the board to the batteryholder.

the spx 900 still works but it still indicates Warning Low Battery
i also tried to go thew the reset procedure but nothing helped.

its not a big deal because the unit works but im a bit confused why it still indicates this message although i have changed the battery...
Have you checked the battery's voltage? You could have a bad battery. Sorry you are having so many problems. Did the old battery leak? It could have done some damage to the circuit traces. Best of luck!
Old 10th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Have you checked the battery's voltage? You could have a bad battery. Sorry you are having so many problems. Did the old battery leak? It could have done some damage to the circuit traces. Best of luck!
BIG THX for your help, without people like you there were literally no informations about topics like this!!

It dosnt seems that the old batter leaked, it was party glued partly solder in a very strange way. the whole construction seemed really fragile, that i was able to pop off the - pole by just pulling of the sticky tape wich held everything together.

i mean its not such a big deal for me because the machine works, but im a bit confused what causes the problem.

could it be that i solderd the battery not good (hot) enough to the main board that there is no connection?

would the spx 900 show the same warning without any battery inside?

all the best!
Old 10th August 2020
If you overheated the battery by trying to solder to it, the battery could have been damaged. It does not take much. If it were me, I would check the voltage coming out of the battery with a digital voltmeter with the battery installed on the circuit card. Most CMOS batteries should read 3 volts +/- 10%. It could also be that some printed circuit card traces got damaged when you pulled the old battery off the circuit card. If you cannot fix this yourself maybe you have a buddy who is good in electronics who could take a look at this. To check the traces you will need a good magnifying glass and a flashlight. Best of luck!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear