The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need power supply advice on Beginner DIY Modular.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Need power supply advice on Beginner DIY Modular.

Hello,

I am very excited to have the opertunity at work to print my own 3x4" boards. I've cloned a few classic pedals and have just begun printing Yusynth boards with the intention of beginning my mostly DIY modular system. The system will be my first and unless allot of money flows in my only modular system.

I plan on building everything in the Euro size but have both +-12V and +-15V power supply's on tap to support the Yusynth and euro modules. I want to stay Euro because I plan on integrating some Pittsburgh and Itellijel units, mainly for stuff like midi integration and fancy oscillators.

I was hoping some one here might have advice on affordable modular power supplies or a good source for DIY. Any suggestions?

Also, I am a filter addict and if you have some DIY links for perhaps Roland and Korg filters I love to see them.

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 22nd October 2013
Deleted User
Power One makes nice modular supplies.
Old 22nd October 2013
As Frank mentioned, Power One is a supplier of high-quality, reliable linear supplies.

For high-reliability and bullet-proof construction, it's hard to beat Acopian, but they are not inexpensive and are probably "overkill" for your application.

When picking DC power supplies for DIY audio applications, especially for a modular system that may have a wide range of possible current demands, it's very important to know your expected maximum current load, and then choose a regulated, linear supply with a continuous current rating of at least 150% to 200% of your expected load. You should estimate the expected load of your full complement of modules and then start working from there.

For powering audio equipment, it's easiest to simply use a complete modular linear power supply. Although switching-mode supplies can be successfully used with audio gear, they often need additional filtering and can still create noise issues, so are best left to powering computers and non-audio gear.

The simplest solution is to buy a Power One or Acopian modular supply. They are reliable and work as expected. Most have remote sensing, which can be an advantage at higher, varying current loads.

There are also several Chinese-made complete modular supplies such as those sold by M.P. Jones that are 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of the "name brand" supplies and are of good quality. Check-out the linear supplies at the bottom of the list.

Finally, if you're comfortable with with safely wiring mains voltage circuits, you can always pick up Need power supply advice on Beginner DIY Modular.adjustable regulator PC board modules that include rectifiers, filter caps and series regulators and heat sinks. All you need to add is an appropriate-voltage transformer, a fuse and a switch to complete a power supply. There are a number of those offered on eBay and typically cost significantly less than the retail cost of all the components.

If you need more current than one of those PC board supplies can provide, it's always possible to use one higher-current transformer to drive several PC regulator boards, and to split your load via independent power busses.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks Frank and Lotus, I have allot to look into now.
Old 24th October 2013
jrp
Lives for gear

building your own psu for your modular isn´t that hard. I run mine with plain old 7812/7912 regulators.
It´s an easy build and it´s rather cheap compared to a comercial unit.
One set of regulators is enough to run a lot of modules, but you can always add more. One possible solution is to have regulators in every cabinet and supply them from a single transformer. Note that most 12v modules will run fine on 15v.
It is possible to run a 12v regulator alongside a 15v regulator from a 18v transformer, especially if you don´t need much current on the 12v line. Alternative is seperate transformers (2*18v ac for +-15v regulated and 2*15v ac for +-12v regulated)
You find schematics everywhere, propably there is a pcb on yousynth or music from outer space.
JUST BE SAVE WHEN CONNECTING THE TRANSFORMER(s) AND KEEP THEM IN A SEPERATE BOX feeding just the rectified secondaries to your cabinets and regulators.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search