The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DIY summing mixer with volume pots and LCR switches?
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Maniac

DIY summing mixer with volume pots and LCR switches?

I'm looking to build an 8 channel summing mixer. I have found some ideas for a summing mixer without panning, but I'm looking for something with LCR switches like a (very) old school console.

The purpose would be sending stems to mix on its way to my 1/4" tape machine.

Just wondering if there are any options out there, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

For an LCR mixer all you need is three mono mix busses and then switches on each channel to select which bus you want to send to. That's not hard to do.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

I've said this many times on this board and I hope one day it will sink in; that anything and everything you can think of can be done. You want to build a board that can do back flips - no problem - it CAN be done. Whatever you dream of can be done, it's just a question of who's going to design the circuitry and who's going to build it. As far as circuitry is concerned, you can find that all over the web, but the big question is; DO YOU HAVE THE CHOPS TO BUILD IT! Once you have the plan in front of you, can you lay out the PCB's, do you have the soldering skills. can you get the parts together, can you cut the enclosure to where it looks good, can you paint the enclosure, and on and on?

There's no harm in dreaming, guys, but believe me when I say that it's not easy to build stuff. Many come here with their heads in the clouds and they want to build this and they want that, but it's hard work and there is a lot of studying involved. It's a lot of fun to build stuff, but it's also hard work. So dream on, but be prepared to roll up your sleeves and get busy. Start with little stuff. Make your mistakes with the little stuff. Learn electronics first. My opinion is that if you don't care enough to learn electronics first, then you aren't serious enough to build anything.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalis View Post
I've said this many times on this board and I hope one day it will sink in; that anything and everything you can think of can be done. You want to build a board that can do back flips - no problem - it CAN be done. Whatever you dream of can be done, it's just a question of who's going to design the circuitry and who's going to build it. As far as circuitry is concerned, you can find that all over the web, but the big question is; DO YOU HAVE THE CHOPS TO BUILD IT! Once you have the plan in front of you, can you lay out the PCB's, do you have the soldering skills. can you get the parts together, can you cut the enclosure to where it looks good, can you paint the enclosure, and on and on?

There's no harm in dreaming, guys, but believe me when I say that it's not easy to build stuff. Many come here with their heads in the clouds and they want to build this and they want that, but it's hard work and there is a lot of studying involved. It's a lot of fun to build stuff, but it's also hard work. So dream on, but be prepared to roll up your sleeves and get busy. Start with little stuff. Make your mistakes with the little stuff. Learn electronics first. My opinion is that if you don't care enough to learn electronics first, then you aren't serious enough to build anything.
I've built tons of stuff. Guitar pedals, preamps, etc. I don't design stuff but following a schematic and putting it all together has never been a problem.

Thanks for whatever you were trying to say though.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

The reason I didn't mention your name is because my comments, as always, are general comments to apply to whom they may concern.

"...whatever you were trying to say". You've built many projects but you were still offended by what I said? Really? Ok man.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Anyway, I think that you didn't receive many replies because I don't think it was clear exactly what you are needing. You asked about options, but there are unlimited options that one could add to a mixer, as you well know. So, if you could give more details about what you need, I'm sure somebody here can help you. Good luck.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

For some friendly and helpful answers. head over to groupdiy.com and check out this thread:

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=...9756#msg379756

Cheers

Ian
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Hi
The various 'principles' behind such a project have been covered on GS many times before. I have wasted hours (on GS) typing stuff explaining WHY various plans of attack are either good or bad. You have not explained much about your 'need' so please do some proper searching and then if you can't find the info come back.
Hint: ALL passive is NOT a good idea if you want panning AND performance.
Matt S
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffrecords View Post
For some friendly and helpful answers
Wow thanks! A decent forum with helpful people. Hard to find these days.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Go ahead and research and you'll find what you'd like to build.
Here is the simplest , a summing box. How to Build a DIY Analog Passive Summing Box - YouTube
Group DIY for more advanced designs and components.

1/4 inch tape is fine for routing some stuff to for a "reel" saturated tape sound.

Another way, is to get an old Tascam, Fostex Mixer or even an old 244 or the like.
You'll get EQ aux sends pan fader FX return, a master and duplicate monitor stereo outs

It might help.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search