The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Paid $80 for a Roland RE-201, is it worth fixing?
Old 16th October 2013

Hey guys,

So at a local musican flea market this weekend i scored an $80 Roland Space Echo RE-201. When I got it home though and did some research i noticed I am missing A LOT of parts.Now im trying to dig through the service manual and ebay to figure out if this thing is worth fixing but i need some opinions. Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you guys think!

Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

From a quick glance (without comparing it to a complete unit) it looks like you are missing the tape loop, plastic cover for the tape, knobs, and a power cord. All easily available.
Old 16th October 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandglass View Post
It's obviously missing knobs, which can easily be replaced. Does the tape transport motor work? That could be hard to find. And the tape cartridge is missing. Maybe you could make your own.

My take is that if you can get it to work with minimal effort then it would be worth refurbishing with a recapping and so on. But if it is completely dead on arrival then who knows what madness lurks within the unit and the time required to fix it may take more than it's worth.
Old 17th October 2013
Led
Lives for gear

Even if the motor is dead, if it still passes audio you could just use it as a reverb, the spring in there is pretty cool. You may be able to jerry rig a tape loop in there without the cassette to see if the delay works.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head

Here in Germany they sell for about 700$ so you still have money to spend on this unit before it would be considered too much.
Old 17th October 2013
0e0
Gear Maniac
the motor is really difficult to replace..but DC motors are repairable..so if you have an industrial district in your town a pro tip would be to find a place that does DC motor repair..and they might be able to help you (if that becomes an issue after you find the compatible tape mechanical stuff)

the RE-201 has a really nice (i believe discrete) preamp..so that's useful..and the reverb is also good.

j

0=0
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search