The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
VP26 Question
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Maniac

VP26 Question

Hello folks, I just finished building a VP26 (actually a VP312, but for our purposes, let's say I built a VP26)

According to this build guide, here, I'm supposed to put insulation between the input transformer and the ground plane of the PCB. I accidentally didn't do this when I built my module. How big of a concern is this? In what situations would it cause an issue, and what would be the issue? Noise? Signal loss? House burning down?

Thanks to whomever can help me!
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

From the photos, I would say it is quite important to have the insulator in order to keep the metal bottom lid of the transformer from shorting out the pads on the top side of the circuit board.

Bri
Old 16th October 2013
PRH
Gear Addict

Maybe do a quick continuity check between each transformer pin and the transformer shield before attempting anything remedial.

Judging by the datasheet for the transformer, I would think that Pins 1-4, 5 and 8 should not have continuity with the shield.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRH View Post
Maybe do a quick continuity check between each transformer pin and the transformer shield before attempting anything remedial.

Judging by the datasheet for the transformer, I would think that Pins 1-4, 5 and 8 should not have continuity with the shield.
The whole transformer is flat on the PCB. There is no space between the PCB and the bottom of the transformer's shield. Sooo, I'm guessing that kind of answers your continuity question?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search