The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
6S6B tube vs. AC701
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear

6S6B tube vs. AC701

Hello all

I'm looking at a handmade large diaphragm condenser tube microphone with a European made K67 capsule that boasts a "6S6B tube, which is the modern equivalent of the famous AC701." I haven't been able to find much info on how these tubes measure up to AC701's and how they differ. Does anyone have any experience with the 6S6B tube?
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Now that AC701 tubes are no longer made many use these Russian tubes and adjust the circuit to match
-A general observation

Matti
Attached Files
File Type: txt 701 russian version.txt (1.7 KB, 597 views)
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

If you get a filament voltage up to the rated value (the AC701 used a 4V heater) there are quite a number of tubes that will work and sound good in a condenser microphone if you use the proper circuitry around them. I use a 6AH6 mini which isn't really designed for microphone use but they have a sound that I like. If I need a subminiature tube then I have several in my stash but I usually use a 5840 as it is quite common and works well. The Russian tube looks like that's what they were using in Lomo mics so it probably is just fine. By 'modern equivalent' that might be a bit of a stretch but the tube still probably sounds good. Using one's ears is especially true of a U67-based circuit since the U67 never used the AC701 - it doesn't much matter if the 6S6B is a lot like an AC701 unless you are servicing a KM54 or M49 or something like that. If you have to replace the AC701 then it matters. In a mic circuit you do need to worry about grid leakage but a lot of tubes work just fine if the envelope is cleaned up enough.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Hi Dale!

Matti
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
Hi Dale!

Matti
Hi! Yes, I still exist.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search