The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Source for API-style and Neve/Marconi knobs?
Old 9th September 2013
Source for API-style and Neve/Marconi knobs?

I want to replace all the stock knobs on my SCA preamp with ones that fit the "original" design of the pres I have... I'm aware of the ones that Classic API is selling, and they seem to be very high quality... Only problem is that to replace 12 knobs on my A12b modules and 4 knobs on the 2 N72s I'll be picking up soon comes to the ridiculous price of $120.06, not including shipping.

I know Cathedral Pipes used to make a Marconi-style knob before that seemed to be pretty cheap, but now they only sell the Neve trimmer knobs for some reason.

Even if they're not 100% and I have to go for plastic, rather than aluminum, that's fine. I just can't seem to find any other alternatives out there that even look somewhat similar.

Seems pretty ridiculous to spend $5-10 a piece on knobs, when you could buy a set of 100 plastic console-style knobs on eBay for about the same price. I realize the CAPI ones are precision-crafted aluminum, but I could really care less... I just want it to look cool, no one will care if they're plastic or metal!
Old 11th September 2013
No one? :(

Gotta be something cheaper out there that's not $120...
Old 11th September 2013
Old 12th September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw View Post
No one? :(

Gotta be something cheaper out there that's not $120...
Marconi's arn't cheap my friend they are no long in production and all the companies are custom making them now for their own products. Elma's offering looks great but my issue with it is that they are painted metal and with paint it always scratches off while the plastic ones Neve uses will scratch but you won't have missing color chunks. This is just my opinion tho....
Old 12th September 2013
Lives for gear

There is this recent thread/group buy discussion re. Marconi clones:

Neve Style knobs

Bri
Old 12th September 2013
Lives for gear

Hi
I think we should bring back 'vintage diseases' like black death, rickitts and scurvey.
None of this new fashioned 'tickley throat' or 'can't get out of bed-itis'.
I just gort a Marconi knob or two for £15, but it did include a whole multimeter too.
Matt S
Old 12th September 2013
Gear Addict

Come on man, you've spent all that time and money to build great preamps and you wont drop $120 on some vanity to make it all look the balls. Just get the alli ones and have some proper front panels crafted as well. GS!
Old 13th September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgaudio View Post
Come on man, you've spent all that time and money to build great preamps and you wont drop $120 on some vanity to make it all look the balls. Just get the alli ones and have some proper front panels crafted as well. GS!
LOL agree~!
Old 13th September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryrocks View Post
If you read the original post, I said I know about these, but they're crazy expensive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDE View Post
Marconi's arn't cheap my friend they are no long in production and all the companies are custom making them now for their own products. Elma's offering looks great but my issue with it is that they are painted metal and with paint it always scratches off while the plastic ones Neve uses will scratch but you won't have missing color chunks. This is just my opinion tho....
I'd actually prefer the aluminum knobs, just cause I know that they're much less destructible than the plastic ones, and I can always have them recoated if the paint chips... but not at $10 a piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianroth View Post
There is this recent thread/group buy discussion re. Marconi clones:

Neve Style knobs

Bri
Yeah, I saw that one. Looks like the group buys are over, though. You can only order in quantities of 100 though, plus you have to drill them out to make them fit on a 1/4" pot with the insert screw. Really... I only need 2 red ones and 2 blue ones. Even though the cost of 100 of each would be about the cost of 16 knobs from CAPI, I have no idea what i'd do with the 196 knobs I don't need

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgaudio View Post
Actually, I have the A12b modules, and I'll be buying the 2 N72s used, so I didn't spend any time to build them at all

Even so... $120 + shipping is half the cost of another A12b. I want them to look cool, but no way I'm dropping that kinda cash on 16 knobs, that's crazy!
Old 8th September 2015
Here for the gear
don-audio.com make most original looking marconi knobs
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Well, CAPI as a source of the Vemaline type knobs API uses/used appears to be gone, so you guys are back to buying them from API at what, $25/ea, or someone gets to man up and become the new Vemaline dealer for everyone.

Widest selection of industrial handles | Handles Unlimited - knobs
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear

Yeah another bummer. I just finished repairing two 550s and now I'm sool. Anyone got six of the silver single wing?
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

diy-tubes has very inexpensive neve looking knobs
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

I can vouch for diy-tubes. You gotta drill them out and stick the screw invthem but well worth it. Their black fake Elmas ain't bad either. The gray beige ones aren't that nice.
Anyone know anywhere to get the concentric silver and blue one wing vemilion?
I won't go to API.
Not right now anyways.
Old 17th September 2015
Gear Head

BLMS have these aluminium anodised knobs that look similar to Trident knobs.

I have not bought any yet, but I really lurve the look.....

3PDT, DPDT, SPST, Momentary and Latched Footswitches

Peter
Old 17th September 2015
Lives for gear

I just bought some Macaroni knobs from Don Audio for around 8 euros with screws. However I had to send them back become the screws were placed to high in the shaft hole and would not lock. It might work for you though.
Old 23rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Well, Classic Audio Products of Ill. as a source of the Vemaline type knobs API uses/used appears to be gone, so you guys are back to buying them from API at what, $25/ea, or someone gets to man up and become the new Vemaline dealer for everyone.

Nice, just received a "P/M friendly suggestion" from API that I not suggest this.

I invite them to repeat publicly what they said to me privately, if they are so sure of their position.

Let's see if I get an infraction, or banned for mentioning this.

Last edited by emrr; 23rd September 2015 at 04:36 PM..
Old 23rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Vemaline knobs.
Attached Thumbnails
Source for API-style and Neve/Marconi knobs?-knobs.jpg  
Old 23rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Oh huh huh. Now im gonna beg Jeff to sell me his newly designed knobs.
Throw them on my 550s.
Anyone down to check out a group buy of vemaline knobs?
Ive got a m312 and a3124x that could use them too.
Old 23rd September 2015
Lives for gear

I hadn't seen that one! Note API did not ever provide a price and availability list for their knobs, though they've invited folks to contact service when in need. Which is where this whole thing started, way back when. They could easily correct my pricing speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathode View Post
Vemaline knobs.

Last edited by emrr; 23rd September 2015 at 05:14 PM..
Old 23rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Just buy them from Vermaline granted minimum will be 50-100 ! You can always share with friends !
Old 23rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Yeah that is about 44-94 more knobs than I need right now. They definitely have nice stuff though.
Old 24th September 2015
Lives for gear

Vemaline type knobs

CS288-KPN1309A
Old 25th September 2015
Lives for gear

Dude! How is it you always have an answer for me?
Thank you.
Seriously.
While I'm at it I can get some more of those kilo intl. look alikes.
Old 30th November 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathode View Post
Just received a mail from them and this is exclusive, you can't buy these...
Old 30th November 2015
Lives for gear

You can but you gotta buy them in the 100s. Allied might carry them. Worth a shot anyway.
Old 25th April 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Well, CAPI as a source of the Vemaline type knobs API uses/used appears to be gone, so you guys are back to buying them from API at what, $25/ea, or someone gets to man up and become the new Vemaline dealer for everyone.

I would suggest the same thing,
I think it will be soon enough.

I remember 4 years ago there was no source for the Marconi style knobs besides AMS "Neave" , nowadays there's quite a lot of different options, Metal, Plastic, durable or cheap Chinese.

So yeah a dealer for Vemaline Knobs is needed.
Old 27th May 2016
MYN
Gear Addict

Found these red Marconi knobs on Ebay. Got a pair for my SCA N72. Took 2 weeks in transit. Pretty decent quality, too. They also had them in blue.

Source for API-style and Neve/Marconi knobs?1pc 26 18mm Bakelite Vintage Marconi Neve Pointer Knob for Guitar Amp Cabinet | eBay
Old 13th April 2018
Don audio has api-style knobs as well as the Marconi knobs. Classic British Console Knob KN-AP-14,7S, 7,62 €

As others have said, there are some sources around for the Marconi but I don't know of anywhere but Don audio for the api knobs.

I ordered the api-style knobs previously but they sent them as signature required and I waited too long and they were sent back. They have not responded to any inquiries of mine about that, so as of now I'm out that money. Hopefully someday they will refund me. The shipping is around $20 to the US which basically doubles the price of my orders.

I also have some Marconi knobs from them and they are great. I'm expecting the api-style to be good quality too. I'll report back after I install them.
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

anyone up for a group-buy order at don-audio for API style knobs?
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear