The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I need a tech that can "duplicate" a microphone power supply I already have.
Old 15th August 2013
Here for the gear
I need a tech that can "duplicate" a microphone power supply I already have.

Greetings, I'm looking for a (trust worthy) tech that can duplicate the at8560 power supply used for Audio Technicas AT4060 tube microphone, as Audio Technica does not sell them separately. I will furnish he or she with the one I currently have to copy. Basically I have 2 AT4060's but only one power supply. I'm in NYC, so someone close would be great but not a requirement as I can ship the unit to who ever.

Thanks in Advance.

JW

(Found one. Thanks!)
Old 20th November 2016
Here for the gear

I am in a similar situation, could you refer me?
Old 6th December 2016
Here for the gear

bump
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowrunner View Post
bump
If I was you, I would email or call Bock, Hamptone, see if either could or would do it.
Old 6th December 2016
Audio Technica won't sell you a seperate Power supply? Why? Do they think you stole the mic or something? I find this strange.
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear
I could build you one, but it will not be cheap. A one-off would at least cost as much as buying one from Audio Technica, probably more. You wouldn't need to send your power supply as I already have two.
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWILLIAMS View Post
Greetings, I'm looking for a (trust worthy) tech that can duplicate the at8560 power supply used for Audio Technicas AT4060 tube microphone, as Audio Technica does not sell them separately. I will furnish he or she with the one I currently have to copy. Basically I have 2 AT4060's but only one power supply. I'm in NYC, so someone close would be great but not a requirement as I can ship the unit to who ever.

Thanks in Advance.

JW

(Found one. Thanks!)
well I do have a power supply for a cad mic That ran a 12ax7.

I imagine it might be near the voltages you need. I would just need to verify your voltages you need. and where on the xlr connector so it can be wired.

I'll keep digging on the internet today as I have time to try to find schematic.

If it will work, I'll sell it to ya for $50 plus shipping.
Old 6th December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrebes View Post
I could build you one, but it will not be cheap. A one-off would at least cost as much as buying one from Audio Technica, probably more. You wouldn't need to send your power supply as I already have two.
mbrebes, could you PM me a quote? Audio Technica doesn't sell the power supply individually.
Old 6th December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtechno View Post
well I do have a power supply for a cad mic That ran a 12ax7.

I imagine it might be near the voltages you need. I would just need to verify your voltages you need. and where on the xlr connector so it can be wired.

I'll keep digging on the internet today as I have time to try to find schematic.

If it will work, I'll sell it to ya for $50 plus shipping.
If this would work, that would be awesome. I believe the at4060 requires 120V AC

Unfortunately, the power supply and mic use 6-pin XLRM-type connectors, so I don't know if the supply you are referring to would work...
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear

they both are tube and both run the same xrl, but I don't know the hi voltage DC or the heater voltage that is used. (need to look it up)
the connections for on the xlr is two pins for the high voltage dc, two pins for heater and two pins for signal.

I'll look to see if I can find the schematic to that A.T. power supply to compare with the CAD.
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear
It's using 120 VDC for tube/capsule circuit and 6.5VDC for the heater. The cheapest way for me to get you one would be to take an available power supply for a different mic (approximately $90), adjust voltages for the 4060 and wire in the correct XLR 6 pin in the correct configuration.
Old 7th December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrebes View Post
It's using 120 VDC for tube/capsule circuit and 6.5VDC for the heater. The cheapest way for me to get you one would be to take an available power supply for a different mic (approximately $90), adjust voltages for the 4060 and wire in the correct XLR 6 pin in the correct configuration.
And that would work? That would be awesome!
Old 9th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Fox audio
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
7 year later update.

To answer your questions 7 years later. No Audio Technica will not sell you a power supply no matter how much your willing to pay, but they will repair your old one. To have one built by a tech would cost around $400 usd. And being that you can snag one on ebay every so often for around $600 (if your willing to wait), I eventually bought another one for $460 and use the now extra mic for a different recording tube flavor after swapping the original out.. with NOS. Good luck to those still in this AT4060 dilemma. (Oh yea as mentioned above, they WILL sell you the mic cable and it's is $100 usd, just not the power supply). Hence why there's so many power supply-less 4060's floating around.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
More info:
To build a new mic cable cost just about as much as buying from AT. Just buy theirs. I was successful at modifying a generic tube mic power supply to work with the 4060. It did run $400-500 a few years back.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search