The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommend good wire strippers?
Old 20th June 2013
Gear maniac

Recommend good wire strippers?

Can someone recommend be a nice stripper ?

I mean a buy once, buy right, great tool for general electronics ?

with thanks

Old 20th June 2013
Lives for gear

Any good pair of wire side/diagonal cutters is all you need to strip wire.

There is a very simple technique you can master which means you can snip the wire to length then strip the outer plastic of far quicker than it would take to put the cutters down and pick up a cable stripper.

Ive been stripping and cutting wires for 25 years and have never needed a dedicated wire stripping tool.

This is how you do it. You need a GOOD pair of sharp cutters though and not the large jaw kind either a small jawed proper pair of quality cutters will last you a lifetime.

Ok so cut wire as you would normally with the cutters. Then simply turn the cutters over in your hand and hold them flipped normally this means that the beveled edge of the cutters is now facing down and away from you.

Now put the jaws of the cutters back to the wire at the point where you want to strip the cable. Close the jaws GENTLY around the plastic and apply a gentle force TOWARDS you with the cutters. You will find that the cutter blades dig into the cable and the outer sleeve should as you pull just be pulled of. If your finding either the cutters slip up as you pull without digging in then simply apply a bit more pressure. If you find the cutters dig in to much and cut the wire then apply less pressure. It is a simple case of practice makes perfect. Like the first time you solder something you will most probably get it wrong but practice on some cheap cable until you get the technique down.

Stranded cable you often need to strip back a little bit more length to give you enough bare wire to twist the strands neatly before tinning. Be careful with stranded wire to not cut away any strands the first few times you do it you may your stripping half the strands away WITH the outer plastic. Less pressure and go again.

You can use this technique on nearly any gauge of cable that will physically fit through the jaws of the cutters.

Large multicore cable I cut by snipping small areas around the cable to create weak spots before then using a large pair of side cutters in the same manner to achieve the same results.

O look I found a picture ....

http://www.instructables.com/files/d...WADC.LARGE.jpg

The rolling of cable around finger first is optional.

Good Luck and happy errr Stripping!

G
Old 20th June 2013
Lives for gear

I will have to agree with GGreen, my cutters ARE my strippers. Specifically I use Xuron Micro-Shear 170II if you want a product recommendation. They are under $20 and made in the USA. They will last several years of daily use, more if you are careful.
Old 20th June 2013
Lives for gear

I am another who has not touched a "wire stripper" in many decades. However, newbies should be cautioned to get several scrap lengths of solid and stranded wire of various kinds to practice with. Nicking the wire is much more likely when using wire cutters than when using "wire strippers". However, improper use of wire strippers is not immune from nicking, either.

My favorite wire-cutters (and strippers) are these:

Old 20th June 2013
Lives for gear

I like having the right tool for the job

I use that from 22awg to 32awg

you can pride yourself all you want in using 1 tool. I prefer knowing I can get repeat results and I happen to work with fine awg wire.

for the smaller stuff 26-32 I use a thermal wire stripper I built myself cause at that point all the little strands count.

I also use a solder pot to dip the wires in for tinning.
Old 21st June 2013
Gear nut

Old 21st June 2013
Gear interested

Klein, Ideal and Greenlee have quality products to name a few brands. You may need two to cover the range of wire sizes you will be working with. Nicking the wire = a possible service call...

OJ
Old 21st June 2013
Gear maniac

Thanks for all the replies and the advice.

I really want a tool I can trust (not myself yet) for doing transformer wires etc.. Like the look of the Klein.

I appreciate all the help.
Old 21st June 2013
Lives for gear

I have several of these ones, each one adjusted at a different size I commonly need. They are very cheap and do a great job IMHO.
Doing it with bare cutters for me is like walking on a wire with no net

TEKTON 3794 Adjustable Wire Stripper - Amazon.com
Old 21st June 2013
Lives for gear

Old 21st June 2013
Lives for gear

Hi
No self respecting WIREMAN (or woman) would dream of using 'cutters' but dedicated wire stripping tools.
Having said that I have been using all manner of tools for over 45 years but I do not claim to be a wireman.
Matt S
Old 21st June 2013
Gear nut

I used the cutters as strippers method for many many years, first in the Navy and then as a field service rep. I do not use it for stripping very small wires such as those used in audio transformers. I build ID boxes and wire them by hand. I find I get better results and need a lot less force using a inexpensive stripper that can be set to the right size and locked. It cuts from 4 sides, not two like the cutter so the pull force is lower. It is easier to control and more repeatable on these tiny wires. Another trick. Strip the insulation back a bit but don't pull it all the way off the wire. Then use the insulation to twist the strands, then cut the end off. It sounds like more work. It is actually less. Another trick, To twist a pair of those small wires clamp both ends in a clothes pin, It makes a good handle.

I do like and recommend getting good quality cutters such as Swanstorm
Old 21st June 2013
Lives for gear

most of my wire work involves making patchbay and cable connections. I standardized on a particular type of wire for my home studio and bought 2 different strippers - one I preset for pulling the outer cover and one preset for the inner wires.

Then I just sit down and work in assembly line fashion - strip all the outer covers off first, then strip all the inner insulation, then tin, then solder. It ends up being quick and virtually error free. Having 2 different preset strippers means never having to readjust and I get exactly the depth of cut I need.

In the past and when I'm working with different wiring or not at home, I've used everything from cutters to an Exacto knife to a pair of scissors, but when I have control, I like to have my preset strippers on hand.
Old 21st June 2013
Gear Addict

My favorite plain strippers are the Ideal T-Strippers. I keep 2 size ranges, the 45-120 and 45-121, which I've had for decades. Inexpensive.
Ideal Industries page

I just don't like taking the time to fuss with one-size-fits-all devices, and I find that mechanical devices like the Stripax usually are too large for fine work and leave marks on the insulation. They are great when you have room to use them and zillions of identical wires to do at once, but tend to be expensive.

External blade-type devices are excellent for outer jackets when adjusted to not quite cut through them. This is meant for coax, but works fine for audio cable jackets:
Coaxial Stripper, 3-Step

Belden's 1797B tool is for data cable, but the jacket blade might work on many audio cable jackets - I think I'll try that today!
http://www.belden.com/docs/upload/NP177.pdf

However, I have just used sharp wire cutters for very small wire stripping.
Old 21st June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
No self respecting WIREMAN (or woman) would dream of using 'cutters' but dedicated wire stripping tools.
Having said that I have been using all manner of tools for over 45 years but I do not claim to be a wireman.
Matt S
Actually, I learned the trick of using cutters from an old-school telephone installer with decades of experience. I think I was 10-12 years old at the time.
Old 21st June 2013
Lives for gear

Hi
Both 'nail scissors' (the ones you use for cutting finger nails) and your teeth are BAD !!!
Matt S
Old 21st June 2013
Lives for gear

only on GS could how you strip wire be a subject of contention
Old 21st June 2013
Lives for gear

They don't let us talk about regular strippers ...
Old 21st June 2013
Klein 1003 With YELLOW handles.

Once you learn the feel of the blade going through insulation, they are the best. They can strip anything from 00 Ga power lines through RG-8 coax to 30 Ga. Teflon covered stranded micro-wire. Small, compact, fit in any pocket and no need to figure out which notch to put your wire into. Been around for 50 years and still going strong. No need to look further.

However they are not idiot proof. These take someone with at least (3) connected neurons to operate correctly.
Squeeze, rotate 90 degrees, pull.
Attached Thumbnails
Recommend good wire strippers?-best-strippers.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hi there.
Have someone used IRWIN VISE-GRIP Multi-Tool wire stripper?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 View Post
Klein 1003 With YELLOW handles.
I like those, but you have to make the effort to adjust them with a screwdriver. I tried the version with the wheel sizer so I can quickly change sizes, but I've found it changes size on its own:

I tend to keep one of the following in my toolbox cause it allows me to do household wiring and cut wire as well, and cutting the length of small diameter screws:
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search