The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Value of an old keyboard I found in my basement
Old 25th May 2013
Here for the gear

Value of an old keyboard I found in my basement

Hi there, I couldn't find a fitting section for this so I just decided to post it here.

So, I found this keyboard from the 80s in my basement. It has been down there in protection for about 5 years. Its condition is pretty much flawless. The model is "ELKA MK88 Master Controller Keyboard". I'm a total newbie at this stuff, so I was directed here from /mu/.
Now, I'm wondering what this item is worth. I tried searching the web for someone selling a similar item but I couldn't really find anything, that's why I'm here.
If you know anything about this item I would appreciate to know, but what I'm after is the value.

Thanks!
Old 26th May 2013
Lives for gear
If you searched google and found nothing it probably doesnt have much value. Aside from that with no info in the keyboard I might offer you $50 if this were craigslist in my city and the pictures looked good.

sent from my m-3500 using the gearslutz app
Old 26th May 2013
I reckon you could do a bit better then $50, maybe more than double that. People are always looking for good condition 88 master keyboards, the only problem is that elka seems to be a very unknown italian manufacturer.
Old 26th May 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL_4224 View Post
I reckon you could do a bit better then $50, maybe more than double that. People are always looking for good condition 88 master keyboards, the only problem is that elka seems to be a very unknown italian manufacturer.
Yeah definitely. I could try setting up an auction and see what happens.
Old 26th May 2013
Lives for gear

The MK88 is one of very few boards with polyphonic aftertouch and one of 2 with 88 weighted ones (the other one being the Roland A 80). I'm thinking you can get quite a lot more than 50-100$. They're quite desirable actually. I don't think 400$ is unreasonable for one but that depends on the country. A tad high maybe idk.
Old 26th May 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter8 View Post
The MK88 is one of very few boards with polyphonic aftertouch and one of 2 with 88 weighted ones (the other one being the Roland A 80). I'm thinking you can get quite a lot more than 50-100$. They're quite desirable actually. I don't think 400$ is unreasonable for one but that depends on the country. A tad high maybe idk.
Oh brilliant! I'm from Denmark, no idea how the pricing here is.
Old 26th May 2013
Lives for gear
What are the sounds like? Some of the old Italian analog keyboards sound pretty great with a bit of EQ. It would be worth more than $50 if it has good internal sounds, midi in and out, and weighted keys. You might consider making a YouTube demo video to give potential buyers a better idea of the quality (ESP internal sounds), it would definitely make the difference between a $50 offer and a $200 offer.
Old 27th May 2013
Gear Maniac

Umm... It doesn't make any sounds itself ... It's a master keyboard to control sound modules, synths, or for plugging your computer. (Well, I guess a "thunk" sound every time you hit a key, perhaps a "click" when you press a button...).

As jupiter8 says this is one of the very few 88 note master keyboards with polyphonic after touch. I have the slightly small MK-76 and they are very nice keyboards indeed. They are one of the few ways to get that Vangelis sound, unless you have a Yamaha CS-80 which also had polyphonic after touch.

Definitely punt it on eBay with a decent write up. You can find the manual for it on my website.

Neil
Old 31st July 2016
Here for the gear
Elka MK88

I would like to have a couple of those in my studio.. the Elka MK88 & MK88||
Old 12th November 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJmyzick View Post
I would like to have a couple of those in my studio.. the Elka MK88 & MK88||
Have had the MK-88 keyboard for about 5 months now
Old 13th November 2018
Gear Head

It's probably a Fatar keybed. I have a GEM keyboard, wich I think is sort of the same company, and that definitely has a Fatar
Old 12th January 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Have had the MK-88 keyboard for about 5 months now

day-before-yesterday I also got the Elka MK-88 mk ii too
Old 21st February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
day-before-yesterday I also got the Elka MK-88 mk ii too
Congratz! Killer controller (and MIDI implementation, especially for it's time!).. got one myself :-P
FYI, original M.S.R.P. was U.S.$2,995 .. most likely THE very last product that ELKA put out, before they joined Crumar (and can't remember who else), into what became General Music (if I remember correctly).
.. just out of curiosity ==> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Elka-MK88-M...1&isGTR=1#shId
.. although it's not the "II" model.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Hello guys sorry for hijacking this thread!

I also got a fabulous MK88, I’ve tried to replace it with every master/synth controller on the planet but no one got a keybed like the Elka.. only an M-Audio Code61 got near but it has some flaws and it isn’t reliable.

I also really like that it is 88 keys but without hammer action, can't find anything like that.

I’ve tried to replace it because mine unit is smelling really strange, like acid/sharp smell and it fills my home studio even when it is powered off, I already spent 60€ to refresh its keys mechanisms, but the technician said nothing about this issue.

Is yours the same? I’ve read about bad old capacitors and this fumes could be really toxic, I would like to just save and use its keybed !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search