The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Brauner change capsule across whole range Condenser Microphones
Old 21st April 2013
Gear interested

Brauner change capsule across whole range

First post here! I don't think this has been discussed, but if it has then I apologise in advance.
Dirk Brauner has changed the capsule used in all of his mics for a new screwless design. I recently sent an email asking about this and this was the reply I received from the man himself;

"We are now utilising a capsule sealing and protection ring instead of the one we had with the screws. This helps for an even longer resistance against moisture as people today use their microphones very intensively also in situations of close proximity. I would still not recommend to overdo such things and nuse it like a dynamic so to say as we always recommend using a good windscreen like our P120VT in example, but however the new capsule is now even more robust. The most important thing however is the sound and you should not feel any compromises in regards to this."

I would be interested to hear opinions on the design change. The pic is the new capsule.
Best regards,
Darren.
Attached Thumbnails
Brauner change capsule across whole range-brauner1.jpg  
Old 21st April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDARREN View Post
The most important thing however is the sound and you should not feel any compromises in regards to this."
I find this sentence somewhat cryptic or at least not very precise. Does it mean that the new capsule sounds better or no worse than the previous ones?
Old 21st April 2013
Gear nut

I posted about this as I have just had mine changed. I was asking for other people's experiences. Unfortunately a moderator saw fit to move this post to Geekslutz, which was completely inappropriate as I was looking for feedback on the sonics from high end users. Anyone know how I can get it moved back?

Anyway, I just had my capsule changed by Brauner, from the old to the new type. I was talking to Benedikt there and said that I was hoping to get a little more bottom end out the mic, and for it to be a little smoother in the highs. He advised that changing to the new capsule would move the sound in this direction. I have had it back a few days but I am in the middle of a lot of mixing so I have only tried it briefly. First impressions were good - that the mic was subtly 'warmer', and two vocalists who sang into it for me said the same (the have both used it previously). I am doing vocals with a great female singer on Wednesday so I might have more to say then.
Old 21st April 2013
Gear interested

Hi 8875, interesting stuff, would definitely be interested in your opinions after your Wednesday session. Also your opinion as regards how articulate you are finding the mic with the new cap. Which model mic are you using?
Old 21st April 2013
Gear nut

Should have said ours is a VM-1. Have always loved the mic, but having spent a year or so with it, I decided I found it too piercing in the highs, and a bit recessed at the bottom. It's incredibly quick for a LDC and the hi frequencies would sometime just shoot through a mix (for example on acoustic guitar) in a way whilst being incredible, I started to feel was too much. When I described this to Benedikt at Brauner, he said they could either change one of the electronic components to to tilt the frequency response gently in favour of the low end, or I could try the new capsule which he described as being less 'sharp' in the highs and a little more pronounced in the lows and low mids. The capsule sounded more like what I was after, so I asked them to change it. I'll let the board know what I find out in the coming days...
Old 21st April 2013
Gear maniac

his response sounds reasonable. He's great guy and has lots of passion for what he is doing. I'm sure that your mic will sound as good as any other brauner.
Old 21st April 2013
Lives for gear

Someone, I think it was Eyecatcher, stated that the new capsule was somewhat more directional, i.e. towards a supercardioid. Well, that was likely about the single pattern Valvet X (officially a cardioid) of which he is as big a fan as I am. Anyway, that alone would increase proximity effect (all other things being equal) and thus add more lows and low mids.

8875, I've PM-ed you.

Henk
Old 21st April 2013
Gear nut

The VM-1 being multi-pattern I'm not sure how the capsule change will affect this, I guess not much. But I'll listen out for it when I test it. Have PM'd back Henk (possibly twice..).
Old 21st April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Someone, I think it was Earcatcher, stated that the new capsule was somewhat more directional, i.e. towards a supercardioid. Well, that was likely about the single pattern Valvet X (officially a cardioid) of which he is as big a fan as I am.
Yes, I commented somewhat here: New Brauner Microphone

And here: New Brauner Microphone

And here: Brauner: The art of microphone..take a look

The pictures below show the front and back of the old and the new Valvet X.
Attached Thumbnails
Brauner change capsule across whole range-valvet-x-front.jpg   Brauner change capsule across whole range-valvet-x-back.jpg  
Old 22nd April 2013
Lives for gear

Hey, thanks for those pics!

Interestingly, the capsule also sits lower in the basket now.

Henk
Old 22nd April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Interestingly, the capsule also sits lower in the basket now.
It sits lower, but is bigger, so it has to sit lower in order not to end up too high. The actual pickup surface is bigger than with the old design. In my current Brauner mics I have the old capsules mounted on the new foot. The new foot has the curved top part sitting on rubber inside the short pole beneath it, in order to decouple it from direct vibration.
Old 23rd April 2013
Gear interested

I have been using five Phanthera Cardiod as spot mics for strings and noticed the new capsule through the headbasket when I ordered an extra new mic. All my other Phantheras have been old capsule. After having had a few days to compare the mics, these are my opinions;
The new capsule is considerably more flat in the Phanthera circuit. The sound is very rich full and thick but detailed. A much fuller low end and low mid, the upper mid is considerably less assertive than it was. It still has air though, and this is more obvious due to the recessed upper mids. It's darker overall (my old Phantheras are all quite bright) but still with lovely air.
Nice mic, but impossible to make even the most approximate pair with any of the old capsule mics which all sound quite similar. Seems strange to change the tone to this degree really, it might as well be a different mic, even so.. I'm going to keep it.
Old 23rd April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
the upper mid is considerably less assertive than it was
Interesting remark. The only con I could think of with the Valvet X (although it's actually not the microphone's fault) is that edgy singers can be a little piercing. This is a high mid thing. On the other hand, this range also accounts for "brilliance", so I'm not sure if I would want to miss it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search