Holiday shop via this link to support the forum!
Adding Jensen Transformers to ULN-2
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Head

Adding Jensen Transformers to ULN-2

Has anyone added Jensen transformers to a ULN2? It seems like it would be pretty straight forward if you know electronics.

They charge 800 for the upgrade. Am I missing something? Anyone know what Jensen transformers are best for the ULN-s? I have seen certain ones sell for $40 on ebay...
Old 4th October 2013
Gear Addict

same question here. Anyone?
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

the $800 is for the changes of the analog board- adding two transformers by gluing them down with sillicone.

yea it has to be the sillicone.

but it still has crappy surface-mount components in the line stage so its a 40% improvement at the most.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding Jensen Transformers to ULN-2-mhuln_2.jpg  
Old 4th October 2013
Lives for gear

and yes its pretty strait forward too Just a 1:1 at the input impedance rating should get you in the correct direction.

and be sure to use some nice clear non water-based, stinky RTV sillicone. coat the exposed pads after soldering, let dry for a day or two, and glob some more to glue the transformer in place. let set for four days before moving or using it.
Old 5th October 2013
Gear Addict

how would you describe the difference in sound? is it worth the upgrade?
Old 7th October 2013
Lives for gear

putting transformers on the adc helps if the connection going to it is not a perfect balanced circuit. dc offset is eliminated. and there is a little bit of square wave modification that is simular to what happens to the square wave when it hits a tape head. also the harmonics can be much more pleasing. but I mod adc's with carnhills because of there harmonic character is more pleasing to me in a/b them (vs jenson offerings)

It is finding good sounding surface mount passive componates is the hard part.

Manufacturers went too cheap because it cost less to have a board stuffed with surface mount compared to pin and hole. Unfortunately, the end product suffers because of this.
Old 22nd November 2013
Gear Nut

Does anybody got any AB examples with Jensen vs none?

I'm still being tempted to add the Jensens, but not sure it's worth such a huge dosh...
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search