The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EV PL9 capsule -- where to find? (or repair)
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

EV PL9 capsule -- where to find? (or repair)

Anyone have any idea where I can get a new capsule for an EV PL9?

(Or if it's possible to solder the tiny wires I can barely see with my reading glasses on? (I think I can see that one side is broken.))

I've contacted EV twice now -- by web form and email -- and no response and my google-fu is failing me.

Thanks,
_Rich_
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

Did I post this in the wrong location? (I searched for similar requests and some were in here and some were in geekslutz.)
Old 2nd February 2013
Here for the gear

Anyone?
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Maniac

This is the omni dynamic mic in the PL-series?

If so, it's been out of production for a long time (probably 20 years) and they may not have any parts left. I know that certain parts for their neodymium "shotguns" are no longer available.

I'm not sure if it was my local dealer or E-V, but I spent almost a year waiting for foam parts for some RE-20s, which wasn't too impressive. Not sure if that is a symptom of something else or not. E-V has gone through some major ownership changes over the last few years, and service may be hurting as a result.

The E-V DO54 was the same mic in a different coloured case, if there's chance you can find an element for it. In a quick search, I see some people think the DO54/PL9 and the RE55 are the same mic. I don't think so. The response limits are different, and the RE55 cost about twice as much as the PL9 back in 1981.

Somebody has a pair of them (PL9s) on eBay for $495 (No thank-you), while on another auction site, a PL9 went for $18 back in November.

Good luck in the search,

Geoff
Old 3rd February 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply, Geoff.

Yes, an omni dynamic. Electro-Voice PL9

From other threads I'd seen on here, it sounded like EV had helpful service but it, obviously, hasn't worked out that well for me yet.

Thanks for the DO54 tip. I'll check into that.

I've seen that pair on eBay. They've been there for a while at that price. $.$ Would you mind PMing me the other auction site?

Sounds like I might have to look harder for info on the repair angle. (I've done a fair amount of electronic work but nothing with wire that tiny.)

Thanks,
_Rich_
Old 20th February 2020
Here for the gear
Did you have any luck with that repair?
Old 22nd February 2020
Here for the gear

I did not.

I don't recall the details any longer, but, knowing me, I likely got distracted by something else and lost track of it.

Thanks for the reminder! I have some recording coming up soon and it would be nice to have the PL9 working again.
(It was my only mic that I was confident was fairly flat, which was a nice reference. Of course, I've picked up more mics since but I don't know them well enough.)

_R_
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search