The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AMS RMX 16 .... strange... help Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 22nd August 2012
Lives for gear

AMS RMX 16 .... strange... help

I bought few months back RMX 16 and it needed work...
last few days i had time to fully replace tantalums with new one, capacitors also, replaced bad switches on front panel, broken power switch and cleaned it....o yeah I replaced battery with new one

and ......... it powers up ... works perfect on programs from 1-10....
but .. after programs 11, 12, 13.... it is acting crazy ..like crazy signs on display etc... so i need to power it of and back on to use programs from 1-1o

is that normal ?? ... version is 3.0

I got files for latest version ... v3.2 ill burn em in a day or 2 and install... maybe that fix bugs???

also is there any initialization of rmx .. maybe i erased all programs when i was replacing battery ???

there is also bug .. I cant save programs ... Hmm

Ill check it again tomorrow morning..

Anybody knows why it can have bugs like that!>>>>??

D
Old 22nd August 2012
Lives for gear

I will tell you all the answers but it will cost you......the SMS modular !

WT
Old 22nd August 2012
Lives for gear

get sirius man ... i have problem

what SMS .. modular message
Old 22nd August 2012
Lives for gear

Just messin with ya....

Hope you get it up and running tomorrow.

WT
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear

I have no clue about that machine but read somewhere that the ribbonwires are troublemaker #1. Good luck
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear

In have new ribbon cables and idc dill connectors in there!

D
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear

The areas 11,12,13 are in Ram, and after you replaced the battery they should have been flagged as empty.
Anyway, you can get new software from David Kulka at studioelectronics.biz which gives you 17 programs and does away with this glitch.
From memory, you can do an initialise by holding the 'D' button and switching the power on.
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Thanx a lot Radar Doug

I have that 4 eprom files ... will try in a day

D
Old 24th August 2012
Same thing happens on my RMX.
But I just stay below 10
Old 24th August 2012

Ah.... those were the days...the studio I worked in bought a RMX16 when they first came out, it cost NZ$16,000!
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

I upgraded my AMS RMX 16 with 4 eproms .. v3.2

NOW ... I have 17 programs... and last is freeze!!! upgrade is good but does not fix the glich

BUT 2 things dont look normal ////

1. Here is attached picture of display when switching on...
- anybody know what is that ... any error log or note or what ???? dJr

what yours ams rmx 16 V3.2 show when you switch on device !

2. still after program 17 .. RMX goes crazy .. display runs numbers and i have to switch it off and on to use it again...

any idea what is problem?????

here is a video of my rmx16 and what happend after program 17.

Attached Thumbnails
AMS RMX 16 .... strange... help-imag0411.jpg  
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

hi roginator

I'd take a chance saying that there are still some bad connections somewhere. When all logical soultions have been explored, all that remains is intermittent/flaky connections. Maybe it's just the eadgecard connectors need to be cleaned/retensionned. that solved the problem in one of the devices we have at work.

by the way that's an awesome looking piece of equipment. Is it stereo?
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

The djr is my logo, I did the re-engineering of these eproms.
When you try to go above 17 the unit will reboot and reload the Ambience program.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radardoug View Post
The djr is my logo, I did the re-engineering of these eproms.
When you try to go above 17 the unit will reboot and reload the Ambience program.

WOW ... OK ... i thought its an error !!!

After 17 it does not reboot just run display like crazy
:D
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2N1305 View Post
hi roginator

I'd take a chance saying that there are still some bad connections somewhere. When all logical soultions have been explored, all that remains is intermittent/flaky connections. Maybe it's just the eadgecard connectors need to be cleaned/retensionned. that solved the problem in one of the devices we have at work.

by the way that's an awesome looking piece of equipment. Is it stereo?

its not true stereo ... mono in .. stereo out!
ill check connectors tomorrow .. but i think its not that! .. BUT .. ill try .. THANX
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

David had mine twice, spent $$$ but it still does not work right

Mine is going crazy also...
And I sent it to David Kulka at studioelectronics, twice to repair, first was to replace a board that went bad due to a bad fan.

The last time he did a complete upgrade, new battery, new switches, and added the full 17 programs.
He actually told me I would be the first one with this mod.
And now it has this glitch?

Not sure what the answer is, but after all the money I spent, it still is pretty much useless.
If and when I can get it to work, it usually crashes during a mix, thus rendering the mix useless....

I bought this thing brand new when it first came out, and I'd like to keep it...
But I can't keep throwing money out the window.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

Im not sure 100% but somehow i think this happend when I replaced battery ...
maybe its ram , maybe some ic that is in connection with ram... ill do some more work on it!

ill try to get working one here and check what card make that problem!!..then it will be easier!
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

Just went thru whole user manual v3.

and this is in section before *Trouble shooting* SECTION

BATTERY REPLACEMENT

It is recommended that the 3.6V mempac battery (AMS Neve Part No. 330-164) on the microprocessor card (SUN820-053) is replaced every two years. After replacing the battery reset the unit by holding down the '1' key on the numeric keypad while switching the unit on.

AND YEAH ... Its working ... shows program 18...... Empty!!!!
NOT rebooting to prg1 , NOT drivin display like crazy ...... just showing PROGRAM 18 EMPTY .....

my RMX 16 is back in biz !!!!
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

Perfect !!!

WT
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

One of the biggest problems with the AMS is that battery. The battery gases in operation, and leaks acid out onto the board. This eats away tracks, and sometimes components. In severe cases it will wreck the board. That coupled with a very dodgy reset circuit, and you have problems.
I am glad you have got it going, and hope you enjoy the 17 programs!
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

Replace it with a lithium battery and a diode.

WT
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Bringing back a old dead thread ! lol Sidetrack now - but does anyone know if the RMX-16 is able to be modified to have stereo inputs ? Mine seems to have the knockout for it on the back. Unless they just shared the same chassis as the S-DMX's.

I'd definitely like to get mine to be able to use with stereo audio sources if possible.
Attached Thumbnails
AMS RMX 16 .... strange... help-rear.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

No, although it shares some hardware with the DMX which is stereo in, there is no software enabling you to use a second input.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
No, although it shares some hardware with the DMX which is stereo in, there is no software enabling you to use a second input.
Thanks for the clarification RD. That sucks. Currently, when I want to do a stereo sound and need that AMS effect, I either just sum the stereo source to mono for a sec to record the effect, or only effect one side of the stereo source, or use the UAD plugin ! lol

Hey btw, I also got the Remote from Kulka (along with a s-dmx) and I noticed the DjR thing on the remote too. Wondered what it all meant until I came across this thread. Small world !

So I guess you helped develop the Remote and the 17 program upgrade chips or something ?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infa View Post
Thanks for the clarification RD. That sucks. Currently, when I want to do a stereo sound and need that AMS effect, I either just sum the stereo source to mono for a sec to record the effect, or only effect one side of the stereo source, or use the UAD plugin ! lol
There's always the possibility of buying a second RMX-16!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
There's always the possibility of buying a second RMX-16!
Very true Zep, I definitely thought of that, but I predict possible issues if I try that. Main one would be the fact that no old equipment is built exactly the same to each other and this therefore would cause the L&R channels to not line up exactly in phase every time. (possibly?)
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infa View Post
Very true Zep, I definitely thought of that, but I predict possible issues if I try that. Main one would be the fact that no old equipment is built exactly the same to each other and this therefore would cause the L&R channels to not line up exactly in phase every time. (possibly?)
This was obviously intended as a joke, this being Gearslutz and all.

However I wouldn't worry too much about any differences between units as long as they're both in good shape. Any small differences would just contribute to the nice spaciousness of the RMX-16 :-) I am assuming you're running the AMS from a send 100% wet, and not as an insert?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post
This was obviously intended as a joke, this being Gearslutz and all.

However I wouldn't worry too much about any differences between units as long as they're both in good shape. Any small differences would just contribute to the nice spaciousness of the RMX-16 :-) I am assuming you're running the AMS from a send 100% wet, and not as an insert?
Haha, yea I caught it was a sort of joke and all, but dude, being gearslutz and all, I actually have thought of getting another for that reason.. so it was one of them jokes that has truths !

Yes, I use PT and run a pass of the original source through my outboard units (whatever song calls for at time) one at a time and then record the 100% wet on a separate track and then blend the tracks later.

You know, your right, since this is effect and not the original source audio anyway, a little phase drift might not even be noticeable.

Thing is, is I'd end up with a stereo pair of returns for each side ! lol 4 channels. Might enhance it, might be too much. I also could just ditch one side per output and keep one stereo pair between the two units.

Ohhh, this type of talk is so fun to me (until I talk myself into spending yet more money ! LOL) -
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I note you seem very obsessed with the idea of a stereo input. Can you tell me why you think a stereo input will make such a difference, bearing in mind what a reverb does. The primary localisation will come from the panning of the dry signal.
In years of old, when EMT only made the mono plate, people would use two to get a stereo signal. The stereo signal is of itself an artifact. So using tricks to make things sound bigger is what clever engineers do.
As to converting the RMX to stereo, that would take a great deal of design time. All of the algorythms would have to be changed. Do you want to pay for it? Probably at least a year of design time. Couple that with the difficulty of working on this old hardware, and I dont think its going to happen!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I note you seem very obsessed with the idea of a stereo input. Can you tell me why you think a stereo input will make such a difference, bearing in mind what a reverb does. The primary localisation will come from the panning of the dry signal.
In years of old, when EMT only made the mono plate, people would use two to get a stereo signal. The stereo signal is of itself an artifact. So using tricks to make things sound bigger is what clever engineers do.
As to converting the RMX to stereo, that would take a great deal of design time. All of the algorythms would have to be changed. Do you want to pay for it? Probably at least a year of design time. Couple that with the difficulty of working on this old hardware, and I dont think its going to happen!
Well I'd say more of a questioning interest than a obsession. But yea, wow, I did not even think it would remotely take so much work. I agree, no one would want to do that. Its actually relatively insane. haha. So yea, my bad. Disregard me asking.

To answer your other question, I would be interested in it because for stereo sounds (where say one side is doing something obviously different than the other at times, yet the two being harmonious as one at same time) then the reverb should follow suit. Basically, as the plugin works. LOL It had spoiled me. Loving the plugin is what caused me to get a real RMX in the first place (I am not a old school original user). So I imagine what your hearing from me is because I wanted to pick up as I was with the plug in, but with the real deal box.

I love it as it is man, don't get me wrong. Its just between the plug in spoiling me with allowing it to be inserted on Stereo sounds and the SDMX having stereo in/out, then seeing the chassis on the RMX have a knock out for another channel, and the fact a Lexicon 224 is older and has I/O stereo, it just rose my suspicions that there may have been a stereo option.

For now, I can just use stereo summed to mono for it, or do one channel at a time, then line them back up in PT later (that actually works nicely if you do it right !), but it just takes twice as long. The stereo summed to mono method is ok, but I can tell a bit of the true stereo separation is different in the effect itself. Not a big deal of course, since it turns it into stereo, it kinda adds its own different oddity of stereo'ness, which is cool for the most part.

Not a big deal, really was just shooting the RMX breeze is all. All in all though, for Mono sounds, its definitely one awesome beast well worth the investment IMO.

But maybe a User savable Preset expansion on the remote is more possible ?? Its just adding, not redo'ing.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search