The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Info on Weisberg Sound Inc. Console Needed!
Old 28th July 2012
Gear Addict

Exclamation Info on Weisberg Sound Inc. Console Needed!

I just picked up this console from a customer of mine in Woodstock NY. I sent some pictures to my old school studio tech friend & he said this is a seriously special console. It was built by Weisberg Audio in the early 70's. Custom built, hand wired, bad ass console. Needs a bit of TLC but it will Live and Rock again!

I am trying to find out any info on this console or Jack Weisberg. I'd like to contact Jack about the desk. Anybody know how to contact Mr. Weisberg?

Thank you.
Magnet
Attached Thumbnails
Info on Weisberg Sound Inc. Console Needed!-img_5699.jpg   Info on Weisberg Sound Inc. Console Needed!-img_5698.jpg   Info on Weisberg Sound Inc. Console Needed!-img_5702.jpg   Info on Weisberg Sound Inc. Console Needed!-img_5709.jpg  
Old 31st July 2012
Gear Addict

Anybody?
Old 23rd August 2012
Gear Addict

I am still looking for the builder of my Weisberg Audio console.

Magnet
Old 23rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Any relation to the audio equipment dealership Scharff-Weisberg? If so they are in business.
Old 25th August 2012
Gear Addict

That is what I thought but I spoke with Josh Weisberg and he told me it was a guy named Jack Weisberg who built the desk. I used to work with Scharff/Weisberg and I was sure Josh Weisberg had something to do with this desk but he assures me it is not his.

Still looking for Jack Weisberg. Some old timer on here must know him.

Magnet
Old 18th May 2013
Here for the gear

Weisberg info

Don't know when this thread is from, but are you still looking for Jack Weisberg?
Old 18th May 2013
Lives for gear

Hi
Certainly an interesting way of assembling modules and almost 'ultimately customisable' in concept.
Surely it wouldn't take too much to 'disect' each of the subcards to glean it's schematic?
How about some better photographs of this beast?
Matt S
Old 1st August 2013
Here for the gear

Hear ya, go,

Jack shop on Walker street built two of those consoles, I was the first guy to take on on the road and it was a disaster. Took Jacks newer Loaded Horn system to Kennedy Center for a show with Stevie Goodman and Ian and Sylvia, I'm gonna guess and say winter of 73-4.

Things started out fine.... suddenly this sharp crack/Pop comes over the system just before show time.. it continued sporadically throughout the show.. agter the show I met with Jack Boyle, the promoter and Steve and Ian, I explained it was a brand new board and had no excuses, Jack and Steve new my work and were cool, Ian took there word that nothing like this had ever happened with a Weisberg system.... back in the hall after the show, we kept hearing that Pop... we tracked down to when ever a relay in an elevator kicked in... we heard the Pop. Back in the shop theTechs left the board powered up to listen for hours, as they did not believe my theory. they were about to terminate the "Listen" when someone in the rear of the shop used a drill and the meter's pegged and the speaker screamed, You'll note that board is Aluminum.. it was not shielded properly. Those Boards went on the road with The Bee Gee's, Stevie Wonder, The Jackson Five, Billy Paul, The Temps, John McLouglin, Steve Miller The Winters and dozens of other acts back in the day.

I believe jack still operates HOME

New York best multi-speaker-surround-sound performance space - ENGINE 27 - Best Of New York - Village Voice
Old 20th August 2013
Here for the gear

I am very certain that I know who John Ven is and to the fellow looking for info on the 16X6 WSI Monitor console you just hit pay dirt. I work for Jack and we are still in very close touch. Please contact me via email to my personal email <[email protected]> I will be glad to help you with your quest. I mixed for 15 years on that great little (by today's standards little) monitor console. My name is Larry Basinski, I ran Weisberg Sound and Weisberg Audio for Jack from 1980 until we closed in 1992. A great many top soundmen have know and worked for Jack. I am certain that John Venable is one of them. hahaha!.
Adios Larry
Old 24th August 2013
Gear Addict

Thanks for the replies Jon and Larry.

I look forward to speaking with both of you about the desk.

Maybe at AES?

Best.
Magnet
Old 4th April 2014
Here for the gear

I used that board back in the 70's & early 80's

I used to work for Jack. The facility was at 99 Wooster Street down in old SoHo, NYC. If you're having trouble figuring out the construction, Jack bought an old radio transmitter station out on Long Island, and built all the original boards out of the scrap. He closed the sound business around '82 to go back into sound sculpture. You can find stories about him in old Rolling Stones mag. By the way his best friend is Angus who is a manager for Mick & Keith. He opened a sound installation space over in Chelsea later on, Firehouse 17 or some number. I think it was taken over by Home | DEEP LISTENING INSTITUTE. If he is still alive they may be able to help you get in touch with him. His sound equipment is what was originally donated to Strawberry Fields across from The Dakota. One of the guys I worked with was Mark, the first VJ for MTV. Also look for a guy with a speaker company named Stuart Walsh or an amplifier guy who had the cover of High Fidelity many times named Kevin Coleman. I bet it's still one of the best boards you can find. Awesome. Jack was close with Sid Bernstein and his cousin who was trying to get MiniWoodstock going at a motel up near Monticello. That's likely how the board wound up in you neck of the woods.
Old 4th April 2014
Here for the gear

Hey Larry, is that you? This is me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalala View Post
I am very certain that I know who John Ven is and to the fellow looking for info on the 16X6 WSI Monitor console you just hit pay dirt. I work for Jack and we are still in very close touch. Please contact me via email to my personal email <[email protected]> I will be glad to help you with your quest. I mixed for 15 years on that great little (by today's standards little) monitor console. My name is Larry Basinski, I ran Weisberg Sound and Weisberg Audio for Jack from 1980 until we closed in 1992. A great many top soundmen have know and worked for Jack. I am certain that John Venable is one of them. hahaha!.
Adios Larry
Hey Larry, fancy meeting you here of all places. Keith Shhhh-midt from Hoboken. Is Pierre still flitting about? How about Stuart. Who the heck is John Venable? B.J. still around? What's new? What'd ya have for lunch? Bring me back a black coffee would you??

Keith
Old 24th August 2014
Here for the gear

May be a little late but I worked for Phoenix Audio which what became of Jack's Partner Don Smith and Mike Zazuli. I was one of the very few that actually used these boards. The electronics these guys designed was way before thier time. If I can help in any way feel free to contact....
'
Just out of curiousity, how much did you pay?
Old 26th August 2014
Getting kinda sick of you people finding these sex machine consoles putting mine to shame.
Old 11th October 2016
Lives for gear

Late to the party by 2 years but I mixed many a show on that console. Indeed, that was the A-rig monitor desk. I wonder what happened to the FOH console that was it's mate?

Jack's system sounded really hi-fi, it was a 4-way run on Phase Linear 700s. I'm not sure who built those boards but maybe Robert Agnello. He certainly maintained them in the 70's when I worked for Jack. Awesome guy. Went to Record Plant in NYC and then to network TV. He's writing children's books now.

Joe Ravich, the lead engineer still works for Clair Brothers where he and I went to look to be smaller fish in a great big pond. He is the lead PA tech for U2 last I heard. Anyone know of the whereabouts of Keith Harewood, otherwise known as Oma Walli (sp?)? Joe, Keith and I were the sound crew for two tours for Daryl Hall and John Oates in the 70's. Great sounding rig; huge 15' 4x 15" bass horns,
(maybe Perkins bins for low mids, Altec air raid drivers on little double horns and JBL bullets. Crystal clear, great punch and lows for the day, a first rate sound system. Stage hands hated us!

FW all this IW.

D.
Old 10th December 2016
Here for the gear

I worked with Jack when he was at 99 Wooster and I had a woodworking shop over in Tribeca on Desbrosses street. We met through his gal in the office, Liz. This was in 1978-9. He would contract with me to build some traveling cases and speaker boxes from time to time. I remember when he was installing a system in a Park Ave apartment renovation, he was a tentative about HI-FI speakers for a living room so he brought the boxes he designed up to my apartment on w71St to do a listening test against my 15"Tannoy GM. I was driving with a pair of D-150's an IC-150 and a Furman 3 band active crossover. His boxes were large, maybe 7 cu ft using Electrovoice drivers with a custom crossover. He brought a signal gen and we did some testing first then some listening. Everything about his boxes tested better; flatter, deeper bass, better HF response except, we both agreed, the Tannoy's were superior and there was no question which we perfered. It opened his eyes a bit to the other less tangible qualities that defined great speakers. Does anybody know how to reach him, I would love to see him again. It has been a really long time.
Old 1st September 2017
Here for the gear

I worker for Phoenix Audio and mixed for 12 years on that consoles big brother a 24 x 4 front of house console. I have never found a console that I liked better that that design. tons of headroom and great EQ.
Old 14th November 2017
Here for the gear

Hello Doug. My name is Larry Basinski. I noticed your post from a while back. If you are interested in getting in touch with Jack Weisberg please contact me via email <[email protected]> Jack is living downtown NYC in Tribeca in an old Firehouse the is the exact same one as the one we had the company in on Wooster St.
All the best, Larry.
Old 14th November 2017
Here for the gear

DID YOU EVER HAVE ANY LUCK WITH THE OLD WEISBERG 16x6 MONITOR CONSOLE? Yours truly Larry Basinski
Old 15th December 2017
Gear Maniac

I just spoke with Jack about this. He said it is very simple and any good tech should be able to service it. I would try Ken Mckim, Trouble Report. He is very good,

[email protected]
Old 19th December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Late to the party by 2 years but I mixed many a show on that console. Indeed, that was the A-rig monitor desk. I wonder what happened to the FOH console that was it's mate?

Jack's system sounded really hi-fi, it was a 4-way run on Phase Linear 700s. I'm not sure who built those boards but maybe Robert Agnello. He certainly maintained them in the 70's when I worked for Jack. Awesome guy. Went to Record Plant in NYC and then to network TV. He's writing children's books now.

Joe Ravich, the lead engineer still works for Clair Brothers where he and I went to look to be smaller fish in a great big pond. He is the lead PA tech for U2 last I heard. Anyone know of the whereabouts of Keith Harewood, otherwise known as Oma Walli (sp?)? Joe, Keith and I were the sound crew for two tours for Daryl Hall and John Oates in the 70's. Great sounding rig; huge 15' 4x 15" bass horns,
(maybe Perkins bins for low mids, Altec air raid drivers on little double horns and JBL bullets. Crystal clear, great punch and lows for the day, a first rate sound system. Stage hands hated us!

FW all this IW.

D.
I did a bunch of gigs for Jack back in 1977-78. Phil Gitomer and Joe Ravitch were there at the time. I ran into Phil about 10 years ago and he told me at that time, Keith Harewood, was working IA at Lincoln Center. As you probably know, Phil has been working with Dave Hewitt for decades now. John Venable and I wound up working for ABC TV, I was there from 1980-2008. A lot of people passed through Weisberg Sound in the 70s'. In '77, they did Hall and Oates, and also supplied (with Phoenix) the 12 delay towers for the Grateful Dead Englishtown shows. (that was quite an interesting gig !).
Old 17th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCol View Post
I did a bunch of gigs for Jack back in 1977-78. Phil Gitomer and Joe Ravitch were there at the time. I ran into Phil about 10 years ago and he told me at that time, Keith Harewood, was working IA at Lincoln Center. As you probably know, Phil has been working with Dave Hewitt for decades now. John Venable and I wound up working for ABC TV, I was there from 1980-2008. A lot of people passed through Weisberg Sound in the 70s'. In '77, they did Hall and Oates, and also supplied (with Phoenix) the 12 delay towers for the Grateful Dead Englishtown shows. (that was quite an interesting gig !).
I thought this community should know that Jack Weisberg managed the sound mix for the Led Zeppelin concert at Carnegie Hall on October 17, 1969 which was produced by Howard Stein (see link to the program below from the 10/17/69 show):

CARNEGIE HALL, NY 10-17-69 - Never Before Seen Fan Photos! First use of Black Beauty Les Paul - Page 8 - Photos - Led Zeppelin Official Forum
Old 16th August 2019
Here for the gear

Hey Larry!
Forty years ago I may have interacted/worked with you at Jacks company, at the fire engine house.
I was actually an audio tech at a performing arts place, down the street called, THE KITCHEN.
We often rented gear from Jack and did not know how to use it, really. That's where YOU came in and often helped me out, with a grunt, thank god.
Learned so much from Jack and you.
If you remember a guy in his mid 20ies, with BIG HAIR and an Austrian accent, then you may be remembering me!
If there is any way to find an email address for Jack, please point me there.
I must thank him for being a father figure and a teacher, back when I needed it.
Thanks
(PS:If you are on Facebook please find me there (Herr Lugus) and use Messenger to reach me. I will then send you my email address for further exchange.
Have many memories that you where part of. )
Old 7th December 2019
Here for the gear

I was looking to track down Jack Weisberg.
Perhaps I can give you some history about the earlier consoles.
In 1971 Jack and Mike Zasuly hired me after a stint at Electric Lady to be their main mixer for (at that time) almost
every show that came to the N.Y. area. We also needed to come up with a console which did not exist at that time
so we put together what talents and experiences we all had and Jack started to design a prototype that he built of four
channels to test the concept he had in mind for the circuitry. A crude affair but it worked so the next task was a very
portable 12 in, monitor and echo out with all the best components mounted on a single panel. A successful board but
limited in scope so it was decided to build an elaborate modular 24 in stereo out although I always mixed mono only
because I believed everyone in the house should hear the same thing and let the spacial effect come off the stage.
It had several send busses with pre and post functions which had the end result being something in the neighborhood of
200# in its travel case. The next console used the same modules as the 24 but was slimmed to 18 in which required
a lighter framework to hold the modules. The hardware and function layout and appearance for speed of use was my
design. The eq and preamp decisions were jointly made by Jack, Mike Zasuly, and myself. I personally used that one
for the next several years both in N.Y.C. and on tours with Blue Oyster Cult, Mahavishnu Orch.,NRPS, Commander Cody,
and I think this also toured with Edgar Winter and others during this time.
The 24 in board was too wieldy to travel easily so Jack sold it to Madison Square Garden and the last heard about it was
that it was supposedly stolen from there.
I probably won't be back to this website so if anyone wants further comments->[email protected]
Bill Culhane
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search