The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vintage Ampeg Bass head- Fuse problem?
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Vintage Ampeg Bass head- Fuse problem?

So, I buy this b25b bass amp from this guy and it sounded good until I got it home.. Plugged it in and played around with it. I heard a pop and lost all power..
Ok, so I check the fuse and it has some burn marks on it, but if look at the fuse the connection inside is not broken.

Wondering if the fuse is spent anyway?

The back of the unit states it needs a 120volt, 3 amp fuse..

The fuse that was in there was a 250 volt buss MDL 3..

Question is, should I replace it with the same type of fuse.. or , where can i get my hands on a 120v, 3 amp fuse..?
Thanks..
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

It shouldn't be doing that. First I'd check the fuse with a meter to see if it's still good. Don't depend on your eyes. It almost sounds like the fuse is not seated correctly in the holder. and is making intermittant contact. That's the second thing I'd check. Beyond that, it's off to the shop. Don't play around with a vintage piece.

This is a pretty hip forum that has good solutions. I'd post the question there also. You'll probably get the same reply, tho.

http://usedampegs.proboards81.com/in...?board=general

Best, Paul
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Most fuses you find around are rated for 250V, and they'll be fine. What you wouldn't want is one rated for, say, 32V. Anything over 125V will be fine (assuming you're in a country where the mains voltage is less than that). Go down to Home De Pot or even Radio Shack if you have to, buy another 3 Amp fuse (or a pack of 'em) and try again. If it blows again, your amp needs servicing.
It's actually fairly common for fuses to look "used but not blown" but actually be blown.

Insert crude innuendo here.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks guys..

BTW.. ulysses your products rock..

Jim

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search