The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
howto de normal adc patchbay?
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

howto de normal adc patchbay?

i bought a couple of patchbays from mr patchbay. they are normalled adc punchdown bays and i am trying to figure out how to denormal channels on them. there are white and black jumper wires going from out to corresponding ins. i assume clipping the white will give me half normal and clipping both wires will de normal. anyone know the answer?

fyi one of the bays was clean and the other one which was supposed to be full normalled arrived with the jumpers removed or poorly soldered. if doing business with mr patchbay i would recommend stressing the importance of him giving you clean units.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

figured it out. denormal =cut both jumpers.
half normal= clip jumpers from top jacks and connect the to the corresponding tip and ring as opposed to the secondary tip and rings where the are by default.
hope this helps someone in the future. it is easy to see if you insert a cable and watch what happens to the connectors.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Agree with above except that if the normals are punched in at the block the advice changes slightly.

If they are full normals you should probably pull them out rather than clipping them. If you clip them wire stubs will be stuck in the jacks that would be hard to remove later, if you wanted to use certain normals after all.

If they are half normals, the black and white wires may be punched underneath or on top of the output cables. If they are on top you can probably pull them but if they're beneath, you'll need to cut them -- very carefully so that the output cables aren't disturbed and the remaining stub doesn't short out against anything.
Old 4th June 2011
Here for the gear

I'm a real rookie when it comes to electronics but I need to figure out something similar.
I got an ADC 96 tt with punchdown, half normal. I need to turn half the channels into normal and I wish i knew how to do it. This is the only thread I've found regarding this issue and my question is very simple:

There's a small cable in the normals connecting two of the pins. Would I denormal the channels by pulling out this little cable in the normals pannel or do I have to do something internally?

thanks in advance.
Old 4th June 2011
mfischman3
Ae you looking to fully normal these channels or de-normal (disconnect) them.
Old 4th June 2011
Here for the gear

Hi,

They are half normalled now. I want to De normal them.
Old 4th June 2011
mfischman3
If your only normalling jumpers are coming out to a punch block on the rear side "TN/RN" points, removing those little wires connecting those points should leave you with an isolated set of jacks...assuming this bay is otherwise unmolested.
Old 15th June 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for the advice! Should try this out as soon as I get the cable in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search