The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DIY pre's
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Hey guys, Im Matt and I work at JLM Audio (just declaring myself first up).

Thanks for the praise about the Baby Animal pre

I just wanted to answer the question about what the cheapest config is like. A lot of people get the impression that because its the cheapest its the least good (which is generally true in audio but not in this case). The OPA2604 is a great sounding IC and coupled with the 1:4 input transformer makes a very simple and very versatile pre that will equal or better most other mic pres you can buy. Personally I love the sound of them on drums, they give the close mics a solid thwack in the low end but dont smear the top end so theres still plenty of definition. Its also one of my first choices for vocals.
So dont think that the cheapest parts mean youre making a substandard pre - I happily use them along side many other classic designs.

Hope this clears that point up some. Again, I work for JLM but thats my real opinion based on using the gear in my studio on commercial recordings.

M

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search