The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Split a Balanced Signal to feed Bal & Unbal Inputs
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Head

Split a Balanced Signal to feed Bal & Unbal Inputs

Hey i'm just rebuilding my studio and i have a question regarding monitors.
I'd like to feed both my 1030 genelec & subwoofer with the same volume controlled signal.
As you guessed the 1030 input is balanced (XLR) and the sub is unbalanced (RCA).
I've been looking around for a signal splitter as i believe that simply having a Y-cable would result in loosing the balance on the 1030.
I didn't find anything. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

A couple things. Does the sub have a built-in crossover? Active or passive. As long as it's limiting/passing frequencies below about 100 cycles, this is the way I look at it.

Below 100 H, imaging isn't a problem for the extreme lows. Everything above.. yes. Having said that, it really doesn't matter which side you steal a little signal from, as it's pretty much the same on both sides. I don't remember ever panning a (normal) bass or kick in a mix. Usually dead center. With that having been said, here's what I'd do as an experiment.

* Tap a single conductor, shielded wire from preamp OUT pin 2 of either XLR (or Tip if TRS), and terminate with a TS 1/4" plug. Connect the wire's shield to pin 1.

* Get a small, steel utility box.. large enough to mount the listed components.

* Follow the attached schemo.

The 1/4" plug inserts to the 1/4" input jack. The 1/4" output jack feeds a second wire to the input of the amp driving the sub. Connector type is your choice.

It's a simple do, and not expensive.. if you don't like the outcome. I also assumed you're taking feed from L/R preamp outs, NOT a power amp's speaker jacks.

Paul

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search