The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MXL 2001 Mod? Not Royer, but something... Condenser Microphones
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Maniac

MXL 2001 Mod? Not Royer, but something...

My partner at the studio has had this thing lying around forever, and it is essentially useless...

I know the "Royer mod" has long been discontinued, but there's gotta be someone who mods or some place to find info. on modding this mic. I don't even care to go tube, even just FET. I hate to see something with potential lying around "all hopeless and crappy."

Upon googling and trying to find some info., I read Scott Dorsey does some mods for this and the V67...but where's his site? Maybe he doesn't have one? I think I even remember asking Michael at Oktavamod.com if he could do anything with it, but he doesn't.

Anyone have any ideas? References?
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Scott Dorsey's site is http://www.kludgeaudio.com/

His mod for the MXL2001P (and other Chinese LDCs) was published in Recording Magazine; they'll sell you the back issue w/ that article, which includes a schematic, parts list, PCB layout, & sources for parts. And I think Scott still sells pre-etched PCBs for $20 each.

I have two MXL2001P's, one with the Royer/Mojave tube mod & one with Scott's FET mod. Both are major improvements over the stock unit (no surprise, duh!), but I get more use out of the Dorsey FET unit. It's more neutral and less sibilant.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks a lot B. Ross,
I went to that site, and it seemed really old and didn't have any info. on mic modding...I guess I was expecting a Jim Williams, Oktavamod.com, or Black Lion Audio type of thing...

So basically I can buy the back issue of Recording mag, then source all the parts, and try to email Scott Dorsey to see if he has any PCBs to sell? Is that email address, [email protected] still in use?

Is there anyway or anyone to send it to and just have them do it? It's not that i'm lazy, it's more of a time thing...I balance a lot of things...

Though if it's not that difficult, I may be into the idea of doing the Dorsey FET mod myself. Did you perform it yourself, was it difficult and time consuming? I guess the more I think about it, it would be really cool to do it myself, learn something about mics etc.

Is his FET mod transformerless, or does he upgrade transformer like Royer?
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

if you run around to http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/ theres a bunch of threads around about modding these (note: the V67 has identical electronics.. so all mods apply to both)..

On the cheap/easy side you can upgrade the capacitors that are in the signal path and relaminate the transformer (aparently you can order samples of transformer laminates)

I've been thinking of doing this to my pair of V67's. I don't wanna do a dorsey mod, cause honestly, even though the transformers are pretty crappy, they give it a certain thick sound that no cheap non transformered mics that I've tried have. Hopefully relamming them will get rid of the sort of bluriness of the sound
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by username
if you run around to http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/ theres a bunch of threads around about modding these (note: the V67 has identical electronics.. so all mods apply to both)..

On the cheap/easy side you can upgrade the capacitors that are in the signal path and relaminate the transformer (aparently you can order samples of transformer laminates)

I've been thinking of doing this to my pair of V67's. I don't wanna do a dorsey mod, cause honestly, even though the transformers are pretty crappy, they give it a certain thick sound that no cheap non transformered mics that I've tried have. Hopefully relamming them will get rid of the sort of bluriness of the sound
So the Dorsey Mods are transformerless, right? I thought I read that...What about upgrading to a better transformer and other components?
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Addict

Scott Dorsey LDC mic mod

For reference, an edited version of the article can be viewed here;

http://www.pfarrell.com/music/shanghaimic.html
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by commaKaze
So basically I can buy the back issue of Recording mag, then source all the parts, and try to email Scott Dorsey to see if he has any PCBs to sell?

Yes, exactly.

Quote:
Is that email address, [email protected] still in use?
Last I communicated w/ Scott that was his address, but it's been a while. Try it. Or ask the folks at Recording Magazine & they'll forward your request. (I think you can still send email to [email protected] & it'll get through.)

Quote:
Is there anyway or anyone to send it to and just have them do it? It's not that i'm lazy, it's more of a time thing...I balance a lot of things...

Though if it's not that difficult, I may be into the idea of doing the Dorsey FET mod myslelf. Did you perform it yourself, was it difficult and time consuming?
I performed the modification myself, if you have any experience with a soldering iron & stuffing a PCB it's really simple & straightforward.

Quote:
Is his FET mod transformerless, or does he upgrade transformer like Royer?
Yes, Scott's mod is transformerless. (And Scott admits that at least half of the improvement from his mod is atributible to just getting rid of the stock transformer! The stock POS has no low frequency response to speak of; the Kludge'd version opens up at least an octave and a half of bass extension.)
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Head

Would it do any good just to replace the transformer with a better one? I have a pair of Audix CX-111s, which are practically the same mics. I've thought about just swapping out the transformers for a Lundahl or something, and maybe even putting in a Peluso capsule.
Would this offer a significant improvement, or would I be better off looking into one of the common mods?

Sorry to hijack the thread.

John
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.b.horns
Would it do any good just to replace the transformer with a better one? I have a pair of Audix CX-111s, which are practically the same mics. I've thought about just swapping out the transformers for a Lundahl or something, and maybe even putting in a Peluso capsule.
Would this offer a significant improvement, or would I be better off looking into one of the common mods?

Sorry to hijack the thread.

John
No John,
Absolutely not a thread hijack...this is the kind of stuff I'm talking about, and I want to keep all ideas, experiences, and practices open for discussion and keeping this thread alive and kicking.

Funny, I was thinking about doing the same thing...just buying a Lundahl or cinemag for swapping, and maybe a cap or something.

I have no DIY experience...I'm used to having things sent out for mods. I want to do something beginnerish as well, or "work in progress" like swap the tranny and then try it, do more later, so on..

Also, if anyone wants to do a mod for my MXL 2001, give me an idea, and a price quote and I'll gladly send it off.
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Also, if anyone wants to do a mod for my MXL 2001, give me an idea, and a price quote and I'll gladly send it off.

Me to. I have 2 of these things sitting around collecting dust. I bet they would sound much better with the mod.

KC
Old 31st May 2006
Here for the gear

royer mod

the royer mod is not available as a kit but the schematic, parts list, parts layout and pcb image are still available on line. what you need to do is assemble the parts and make or have apcb for the project made. i plan on doing one after my current project(a chandler tube driver guitar pedal ) is complete. here are the web sites. any ?? i'll try to help but im no expert
http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/r...yerproject.htm
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Maniac

I don't know about anyone else, but making a PCB looks pretty out of my reach...I researched it, and there's some cool DIY "how-to's" for making PCBs, but it seems a little over the top.

Anyone else gone so far as to make you own PCBs?
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Head

I emailed Scott Dorsey about his mod, and he says he still has PCBs. I haven't heard back from him since I told him I'd like some though. That was almost a week ago, and I'm all set to try it. I might have the issue of Recording at my studio, but I'm told I can get a back issue or reprint for around $6. I'd be happy to share any info I can about the mod as I go forth with it.

John
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.b.horns
I emailed Scott Dorsey about his mod, and he says he still has PCBs. I haven't heard back from him since I told him I'd like some though. That was almost a week ago, and I'm all set to try it. I might have the issue of Recording at my studio, but I'm told I can get a back issue or reprint for around $6. I'd be happy to share any info I can about the mod as I go forth with it.

John
Hey John,
What email address did you use to contact Scott Dorsey? Also, did he give you a price for the PCBs...I think I've heard around $20 or so for each one.(?)
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Head

I used [email protected]. I sent him another email, and he got back to me. The PCBs are $20.00, and according to the article in Recording, that includes the FET (I didn't ask him this in my email). He also has optional standoffs for some of the components for an extra $5.00. I'm not exactly when and wjere to use them, but I ordered some just in case. I ordered two PCBs and standoffs for a total of $50.00.

I was able to dig up the Recording Magazine with the article PCB layout and schematic. I've looked it over a few times and it looks pretty easy.

John
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Maniac

John,
That's pretty sweet, you're making some progress, eh? Keep us all informed. My 2001 is sitting here right next to me just waiting for a mic makeover...to be usuable one day...
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Addict

hey guys

if you mod that 2001....or 67 ?

what you gain....
i mean... will they sound like 500 mics or 1000 ?

ROlo.
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Guys!

You don' need no steeeeenking PCB's!!!!!dfegad

Just put the circuit together point to point on a piece of perf board cut the correct size.

I've made a boatload of these doing that and they all sound fine. Makes you think about circuit layout, too, so it's a good mental exercise.thumbsup

....and remember kidz, solder vapors make you stupid!

Mike
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo95
hey guys

if you mod that 2001...

what you gain....
i mean... will they sound like 500 mics or 1000 ?

ROlo.

yeah definitely
Old 20th June 2006
Here for the gear

Hey Guys,

I have a tube mod for these. It includes Main PCB, PSU PCB, NOS 5840 tube, Panasonic caps, and a Cinemag output Transformer. Interested parties can reach me at [email protected].

cheers,

James Lee
Big Ugly Van Audio
Old 23rd June 2006
Gear Head

Scott sent out the pcb's really quick. It does come with 1 FET in each kit. I haven't got around to collecting the other parts yet, but it looks like it should be pretty straight forward.

Just thought you'd like to know.

John
Old 13th February 2009
Gear Head
To bring an old subject back to life...

So I just got this mic as a free gift, like I see many others have, and wanted to try the Scott Kludge mod. What happened to be the total cost for parts on this mod?
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.b.horns View Post
The transformer is fine. It is 1:2 ratio and is wound interleaved. The re-lamming with High Ni core will further improve its sonics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Scott Dorsey's site is Kludge Audio

His mod for the MXL2001P (and other Chinese LDCs) was published in Recording Magazine; they'll sell you the back issue w/ that article, which includes a schematic, parts list, PCB layout, & sources for parts. And I think Scott still sells pre-etched PCBs for $20 each.

I have two MXL2001P's, one with the Royer/Mojave tube mod & one with Scott's FET mod. Both are major improvements over the stock unit (no surprise, duh!), but I get more use out of the Dorsey FET unit. It's more neutral and less sibilant.
I don't really see a good reason to use Dorsey mod on those, when it is basically a stripped down version of the Schoeps circuit, without its essential features. In any case, The Schoeps is used in MANY commercial Chinese mics, so if you are after that kind of sound, just get the whole mic for peanuts.

The main problem with the MXL2001 is screwed up operational points for both, input and follower stages. Its re-biasing alone already makes a major improvement. If you use good quality parts, the mic can be actually very usable.

Best, M
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

love your 2001

Or....just use the 2001 as is. It's just another color in your crayonbox. It is not going to stand up to Neumanns but does have it's uses. What I like it on (un-modded)-

close-proximity vocals, drum room, and guitar cabs.

Or... make it a talkback mic. Mine is a permanent room mic for my band's practices.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search