The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Electrical Engineering
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Addict

Electrical Engineering

I'd like to know what people here think about a BSEE these days. From the looks of it this may be my major but I am unsure of the outlook. I know http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm but I think some here in the Gearslutz world may be EE's or know some. It'll be my sophomore this year.

What do you think about a BSEE degree? If you have any ideas at all chime in please!
Old 22nd May 2006

A BSEE is a good foundation for a lot of things. Having the degree gets you through a lot of doors.

My diploma says "BS:ET/EL" which was a "practical" EE with a little less advanced math and more lab and exposure to other disciplines. This may be a way to go if it's offered where you are.

-tINY

Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Addict

I'll see if they have that.

Calculus I to III + differential equations + calc physics I and II + I'm going to try to take organic chem I/II is quite a heavy load. I guess I'll have to get out of the studio and crawl in a study hole for a few years

What kind of doors have you seen the EE degree has opened? There's so many things out in the world a EE can do.
Old 23rd May 2006

Semiconductors, telecommunications, electronics design, audio design, control systems engineer....

-tINY

Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

The IT market is getting better but it's still pretty rough .. if you're looking to make bouquet money to afford lots of cool gear .. you might look into petroleum engineering. Nothing worse than spending 4 years in hell to get a tough degree and then have no good job offers. I'm not saying that you shouldn't go EE (after all you can't spell geek without EE ).. just make sure you have good job opportunities waiting for you when you're done.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Addict

I'm still open to new ideas. It's just that so far this is the only thing I can see me making a living at it. Business jobs seems to focus way to much on just making money. All of these english / arts degrees seem like a waste. I'm also trying to take all the classes that will meet the pre-med reqs because I may also go that way someday.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

biotech is going great guns right now
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Over my career to date:

I have held jobs in the following:
(Besides project studios, and studio work).

Electronics technician.
Test Engineer
Production Engineer
Design Engineer (hardware design first)
Software Engineer (software skill came second)
Project Engineer
New Product Design

(I’ve been working for 40 years now).
And have been successful.

My opinion?

Find something you “love” doing, you will do it
better than most of your competition

There are always opportunities that will not “move”
to other countries for those that.

Can do BOTH hardware and software design.

Can mix multiple disciplines and be very strong in
at least two areas, to develop new products

I also agree with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush
biotech is going great guns right now
Finish school, be patient, get all the experience you can while someone
else pays your salar then start your own business.

It’s hard to write a couple of lines and give advice about
years of experience.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search