The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
help with female voice :HIGH SPL`s
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict
help with female voice :HIGH SPL`s

..any help on a studio mic that handles LOTS of spl for a female voice (pop-rock).We`re tracking a CD ...she insists on singing close to the capsule and there`s tube saturation or capsule saturation ( distortion?) on some notes [groove tubes /alesis AM 62?tube mic into Amek 9098 into pro tools].....2 questions .....What`s the "minimum correct" distance from the mic when singing at loud spl`s ?????? and 2 .... Any well known sturdy mics for this usage . I`ve read that the Lawson for instance (or any 47 capsule?) will not handle the spl as well as some others .We`re on a budget and the studios neumann 103 crumpled to the force ! At this point I`m looking at another studio but would like to select one according to their mic selection thanks ,. Paul
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

It also depends on the room you are recording. If the room is not a problem then I use the Pop-screen to keep the singer at a distance. Sometimes I put a mic for the singer to stay close but record the good one placed back.

Also make sure it´s the mic and not the pre. You can try the pad if the mic´s got one. If it´s the capsule then try what I said first or use anothe mic.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict
thank you espasonico....the room is quite nice ...she leans into the popscreen which seems to be about 2-3 inches away from the capsule . She also has good technique in backing off the mic on loud passages ...BUT even with no red leds anywhere ,there`s a thicker quality to some notes that feels like saturation ...or saliva ? or a hoarse rock tone? ...so I`m confused ...could you please tell me how far away you place your second mic behind the "dummy" mic .Pardon my inexperience on this and thanks for the concern ....Paul
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

10" should be a good compromise.

Have you heard her without the mic ? Try staying next to hear and make her sing for you to listen what is coming out. Maybe it´s her voice what sounds distorted.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by espasonico
10" should be a good compromise.

Have you heard hear without the mic ? Try staying next to hear and make her sing for you to listen what is coming out. Maybe it´s her voice what sounds distorted.
Yeah, if there's no red, and she's a decent distance from the mic, it might just be her voice that's sounding like clipping. Heard it from a few different vocalists. Getting in the tracking room and sticking your ear down her throat should clear things up...
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict
Yeah ...that`s the problem ...her voice has that quality .To me that masks the possibility that the capsule is distorting without clipping the leds ...Much like a tube amp saturation ...Oh .I have a -10db running ..thanks guys .Paul I`ll try to enforce the 10 inch distance .Wish me luck
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Addict
"Powerful singer is good, eh?"

Oh YEAH !!!!! Makes the drummers dig in ! Everyone should be able to spit a little too!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search