Holiday shop via this link to support the forum!
Alesis Ai3 malfunction (no sound, flashing LEDS)
Old 17th March 2012
Gear Head

Alesis Ai3 malfunction (no sound, flashing LEDS)

While mixing the other day I looked at my rack and realized my Ai3 was producing a wonderful light show and now it has no output. Across the front panel every single LED blinks at about a 128bpm tempo (I could tap the tempo out for interested parties). Optical vs. analog toggle is still responsive, as well as the -10db vs. +4db. Been scouring google to see if anyone else had this problem, but all I found was a thread here that talked about an Alesis active monitor doing the same thing (flashing LED and no output). The poster stated it was a common problem (a design flaw that Alesis recognized), that C8 in the power supply dries up, and that it just requires a quick capacitor swap. Lastly, I want to disclose that this unit just got a premium modification from Black Lion Audio a little less than 6 months ago. It involves decoupling the analog and digital rails with higher quality electrolytics, and some kind of decoupling in the power supply section. I contacted them Thursday and I'm just waiting on a response.
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear Head

Even though no one replied, I wanted to let everyone know that BLA seems to have great customer service. Brian, who answers the phone, is always eager to appease a past or potential customer. This is what he/she said in the reply email.

"Hey Andrew, That is definitely really odd. I would definitely try unplugging it and turning it on and off. If it will not act properly then it probably needs to come back here ASAP. I am attaching a RMA form to this email. Please make sure that it is filled out and included in the box. Cheers.

I called back and they let me know that there is a dedicated RMA rack, and that one of the techs goes through units that come back that have a problem (that are covered within the 2 year warranty). Said it should take 2-4 weeks. It's cool that they stand behind their work.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search