The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
monitor cables - XLR or 1/4"?
Old 16th May 2006
Here for the gear

monitor cables - XLR or 1/4"?

I was wondering what provides a stronger signal to a studio monitor, XLR or 1/4" cable? The two sets of monitors i use have both inputs, so which should i use. I do have a studio sub which i orginally hooked up with a 1/4" to 1/4" cable and had a very low volume. I almost returned the product, but i tried an xlr to 1/4" and recieved volume 3 times higher. Usually I see XLR to 1/4" cables labed as a mic cable on the package so I am a bit confused. I am sure this has to do with high and low impedence cables, which I have no idea about. Can someone please give me the run down on all this. Thanks in advance.

Thechiefgood.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

xlr and trs are the same thing: balanced connections.

trs and unbalanced 1/4" are different.

make sure you are using 1/4" with a tip, ring, and sleeve.

to sum up.... there should be no difference (just use the right kind of 1/4" if you are going to use 1/4")
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

sounds like you were going balance to unbalance which give you a 6db drop. technically the difference between trs and xlr is the type of physical connection. it seems to me that the xlr connection is more stable, plus xlr click locks into place. other than that i believe there should be no difference between trs and xlr.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search