The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ART Dual Tube EQ
Old 4th March 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Old Goat's Avatar
 

ART Dual Tube EQ

I'm not able to find a schematic for this. Does anyone know if this is a starved plate design?

I had my VLA modded to full plate voltage and it made a nice, big difference in the sound.

Thanks.
Old 4th March 2012
  #2
Gear Nut
 
TDT Music Group's Avatar
 

dual tube eq

Im curious as well but I don't believe it is. I finally figured out how to disassemble it.

To change out the tubes: remove the rack ears, nuts for the input and output connectors and the two outside screws on the back plate. The unit will then slide apart in halves. I replaced the Jan Phillips 12AT7's with some RCA Blackplates.

My transformer was humming so before reattaching the rack ears I plugged the unit in and like a fool, I went to move a wire that was a little misrouted by the transformer and ZZZZZAP! it didn't hurt too bad so my guess will be that its not a high voltage unit!

Who did the voltage mod on the VLA and will they do it on the EQ?
Old 4th March 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Old Goat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDT Music Group View Post
Im curious as well but I don't believe it is. I finally figured out how to disassemble it.

To change out the tubes: remove the rack ears, nuts for the input and output connectors and the two outside screws on the back plate. The unit will then slide apart in halves. I replaced the Jan Phillips 12AT7's with some RCA Blackplates.

My transformer was humming so before reattaching the rack ears I plugged the unit in and like a fool, I went to move a wire that was a little misrouted by the transformer and ZZZZZAP! it didn't hurt too bad so my guess will be that its not a high voltage unit!

Who did the voltage mod on the VLA and will they do it on the EQ?
JJ Audio, and I haven't asked yet. Just doing some research.
Old 4th March 2012
  #4
Gear Addict
 
Minion's Avatar
 

It is a starved plate piece of Kit ...... I know this from a couple reviews I read on the unit ......
Old 7th March 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Old Goat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minion View Post
It is a starved plate piece of Kit ...... I know this from a couple reviews I read on the unit ......
Thank you. Any idea where I could get a schemo?
Old 7th March 2012
  #6
Gear Addict
 
Minion's Avatar
 

Nope , sorry .... I looked on the net but had no luck ......
Old 7th March 2012
  #7
Gear Addict
Try asking ART
I asked them for the schematics for the pro channel and they sent me.
I can send you the schematics for the prochannel that has the same eq
Old 8th March 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Old Goat's Avatar
 

Cool! Thanks, man. Didn't know the ProChannel had the same EQ.
Old 16th January 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Haz-Mat-Strat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
Cool! Thanks, man. Didn't know the ProChannel had the same EQ.

Hi Ed,

I have just finished the mod on your Tube EQ.

The unit comes with Rubicon 85* electrolytic capacitors throughout. The EQ section has AVX film capacitors. The pots in this unit are securely mounted and braced to the circuit and are not prone to bending like some other ART products. The unit has a nice pair of Phillips 12AT7 tubes. For some reason the power switch was not connected. (Repaired)

I rebuilt the power supply with new low ESR capacitors and bypass caps, Replaced the capacitors in the B+ voltage rail for the tube. Bumped up the B+ voltage to almost 60v (the voltage was 43v). Changed the plate load resistor from 220k to 100k to clean up the tube sound.

Changed the NE5532 to a LM4562 with bypass caps on the rails. This cleans up the output of the unit.

The overall mod increases clarity in the tube and output sections.








.
Old 24th January 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Old Goat's Avatar
 

Got it yesterday. Won't have time to hook it up until the weekend unless we get ice Thursday night. Then I'll be in the Goat Cave Friday! Thanks, Jim!
Old 13th October 2019
  #11
Here for the gear
 

Haz Mat Strat,
I would love to get this same or similar mod on my Tube EQ (and possibly Tubepac) if you're still available to do it. Couldn't find a way to PM you. I love what the impedance and color of the Tube EQ does to my K&K equipped acoustic, but it is definitely too dark. It sounds like a blanket on the speaker even with the treble pegged. This particular acoustic is a little dark to begin with.
Old 13th October 2019
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Subscribing
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump