The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tube Tech CL 1B...any guru's here
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Tube Tech CL 1B...any guru's here

I have a CL 1B made in August 05. Tubes replaced with NOS Mullards. Setting up for a session tonight, I did a mic/level check and upon playback noticed a rattling/static sound behind the vocal.

Switched tubes out, somewhat less rattling sound, but still present. Patched mic pre direct, no rattling....tried other comps.....no rattling.

Any CL 1B owners ever notice something like this?

Also, what is the function of the internal gain pot on the circuit board? Input gain?
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Head

I have two of them, one older, one a few months old, and never heard any rattling, and no engineer ever complained about it.

Peter
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Guru

its funny, i have a CL1B and i swear i hear a little bit of distortion, very slight. So i changed out the tubes (mullards), and i'm pretty sure its gone. But my mind plays tricks with me. Its happened with several mics at two different studios, so it seems the CL1B is the weak link. As long as the gurus are going to be answering CL1B questions, i figured i would ask. What might cause this?
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

I don't it's microphonics as I've now tried 3 sets of tubes.

I think I'll post 2 audio clips later and see if it's audible to anyone else. Thanks for the posts
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

here are a couple of clips.

they're basic "test 1....2...." things.

the first one was through the CL1B. If you listen behind the voice you can hear the rattling/static issue.

the second clip is through the mic pre only...much cleaner.

anyone else hear this?
Attached Files

CL1B RATTLE.mp3 (49.0 KB, 207 views)

TEST NO COMP.mp3 (53.9 KB, 163 views)

Old 22nd June 2007
Lives for gear

There are no Tube Tech gurus here. Try this link:http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/

Jasper

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search