The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help With (Apparently) Rare Meter Bulb
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Lightbulb Help With (Apparently) Rare Meter Bulb

The analog VU meters in my console are dead and I'm having a hard time finding replacements. They're "festoon" type, 12V 1.2w. I've tried auto parts stores and sites but the lowest wattage they carry is 3. Google has so far produced nothing.

I'd greatly appreciate help finding either these bulbs or something that would work instead.

Thanks!!!!
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

anyone? please? my VU world is dim and fading...
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconerHK
The analog VU meters in my console are dead and I'm having a hard time finding replacements. They're "festoon" type, 12V 1.2w. I've tried auto parts stores and sites but the lowest wattage they carry is 3. Google has so far produced nothing.

I'd greatly appreciate help finding either these bulbs or something that would work instead.

Thanks!!!!
The VU meters are dead... or the lamps are dead? Big difference.

What brand meter? I think the automotive lamps are larger/longer than the lamps typically used in VU meters.

You can try this company http://www.meterdistributor.com/
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

and what country are you in ?
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince @ speck
The VU meters are dead... or the lamps are dead? Big difference.

What brand meter? I think the automotive lamps are larger/longer than the lamps typically used in VU meters.

You can try this company http://www.meterdistributor.com/
The meters are in a Soundtracs DPC-II. Meters are fine - blubs are dead.

I'm in the US.

The bulb is approx. 1 inch (2.5cm) long.
Old 12th May 2006
Led
Lives for gear

Try this link, I think they are the same globe, if yours are solder in ones.

http://www.libermansound.com/catalog...products_id=41
Or try a search on Tascam spare parts in your country. Most of their meters use 12 volt festoons, but are usually solder in ones.

Good luck
Old 12th May 2006
Led
Lives for gear

I replaced mine with leds, but you need to know if your lamps run in series or parallel to work out the voltage drop needed. See the bottom of this thread.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...highlight=m700
Old 12th May 2006

I had the same problems with the meter lights in my Otari 54 board (also on earlier Soundcraft boards too) and have taken to replacing the hard to find "festoon" and similar bulbs with easier to find substitutes. When I do find a way to modify the lighting I purchase a lifetime supply of bulbs and never look back.
I really wonder who in the world comes up with these impossible to find bulbs? And the kicker is when you do get lucky enough to find a supplier often they want some crazy price like $6 a piece and my boards have 28 meters to feed.
I usually end up at some place like All Electronics and buy an assortment of T1 bulbs and test them for current and brightness and when I find a substitute that I can retrofit to my meters I buy 100 of them for something like $25. You have to be willing to do some research on your board's existing lighting and a little work to figure a modification for the new bulbs but I feel that it is really worth the effort. I also commonly use a Variac on the bulbs supply (my Otari uses a seperate AC transformer for the bulbs) or a new variable DC supply, if that is necessary, to bring the voltage to the bulbs down about 20% under their rating which extends their life greatly.
Best of luck, Rick

Last edited by Rick Sutton; 12th May 2006 at 05:53 AM..
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

Try Newark-In-One. I think this is the name of the place. They have a ton of bulbs, I'm not home now so I cannot give you the url. You can call them if you don't see it on the site as not everything is listed.
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear
I recommend two options:
1. www.topbulb.com - they have just about everything!
2. From the Soundtracs website, there should be a link for the US support person. Contact him for replacement parts or where to get them.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll see if I can find a suitable replacement.

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

For those of you that have replaced your filament lamps with LEDs, do you get even lighting across the face of the meter? I'd think LEDs would be more focused, resulting less light coverage.

BTW the lamps clip in (like an old-style automotive fuse).

I was trying to avoid going direct to Soundtracs. They're probably $20 a piece thru them.
Old 13th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconerHK

BTW the lamps clip in (like an old-style automotive fuse).
That's the best thing about festoons. At least you don't have to match a weird screw or bayonet mount. With the metal contacts out in the open it's easy to solder one or two cheap T1 bulbs across the gap where the festoon would have been suspended. That's what I do on my board and it works very well.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

I had trouble finding replacements for an old Soundcraft and finally found them in a marine supply store of all places. Turns out one of the flush mount compasses they carried uses the same bulb.
Old 16th May 2006

If you are a bit techy why not try a LED replacement
These PCB layouts were originally published in Australia and are drop in replacements for festoon bulbs/wedges in Cars
31mm and 41mm PCB layouts are available for home etch

http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/pcbs/0506/568-569.zip

May 2006 edition of EPE Magazine

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search