The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Decent first soldering station?
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Decent first soldering station?

Any recommendations for a first soldering station of decent quality? I want something that will allow me some flexibility as I acquire more skills but doesn't cut too deep into my mic-lust fund. Any info/experience is helpful and appreciated. Thanks all-

Chafe
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Just get a Weller and be done with it. It'll last for years and you won't
out-grow it.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

What about the Haiko 936?
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Nut

Cheap soldering irons just can't tow the line. The handles get a little too warm; they break down, and you can't find replacement parts...I'd shoot to make your first soldering station potentially your last.

I've got an old Weller WCC 100 that keeps on ticking...I think it's 10 years old now.

A friend just got a Hakko, quite possibly the 936. I've used it, and it's also a good iron, but the tip it came with is a little blunt for my taste. We'll have to wait 10 years to see if it's as reliable as the Weller.

Byron Jacquot
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by the scum
Cheap soldering irons just can't tow the line. The handles get a little too warm; they break down, and you can't find replacement parts...I'd shoot to make your first soldering station potentially your last.
This is definately my thought Byron. I've used the cheapie plug in pen type things with the chisel nub tip and they are downright unfriendly to use. Thanks for the good recommendations all, especially for the model #'s. Cheers-
Chafe
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'd go with a Weller, a weller, orrrrrr a weller. Your choice, but those are my top 3 if I had to buy another one, but the 3 I have have been around for 6years, 10 years and the bench unit is from school days and all are going strong.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon
What about the Haiko 936?
I solder all-day everyday. This is the station to buy...don't **** around with a Weller or anything else...
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Nut

I have only had my Haiko 936 for about a year but so far it has been great. It's comfortable to use--fits me well I guess.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Old habits are hard to break...

I've used a Weller W60 pencil for 30+ years now. Temperature controlled, various tip sizes available.

Bri
Old 14th May 2006

Well I am sick of Wellars, every one I have owned recently has blown up just out of warranty. The older ones were OK (circa 1985), but the newer ones I have not had much luck with, so our workshop only has Hakko's, which seem to truck on reliably, and the replacement tips are cheaper too.

Cheers
Tim.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Weller!

/Cojo
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Count another Hakko 936 here!
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Love my weller.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Another vote for the Weller. They have a nice little digital model for ~$100 and you can new tips just about anywhere.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Farrant
Well I am sick of Wellars, every one I have owned recently has blown up just out of warranty. The older ones were OK (circa 1985), but the newer ones I have not had much luck with, so our workshop only has Hakko's, which seem to truck on reliably, and the replacement tips are cheaper too.

Cheers
Tim.
I was going to get a Hakko. Tim, you sealed the deal. I'm sure your royalty check will arrive shortly.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I've been gone for a couple of weeks so I haven't replied, but thanks for the ideas you guys. Looks like I can easily get into something for less than $100, which is good for me and the Gefell UMT-70S I'm trying to save for. thumbsup Appreciate your time-

Chafe
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I love the 936, I also just got an 808 sucker that is possibly the coolest tech tool I have ever bought. It speeds things up incredibly.

Steve
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Head

I have used Hakko 926's and 936's for years and, by far, find that these Irons are the superb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by primalsteve
I love the 936, I also just got an 808 sucker that is possibly the coolest tech tool I have ever bought. It speeds things up incredibly.

Steve
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Hakko 936. all size tips and they are real cheap.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Pace

I picked up some used Pace equipment and love it. It included a vacum solder extractor system. Makes work a pleasure.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Seems that either the Hakko's or Weller's are just to taste really, and either will work in a shop with reasonable needs very well.

Hell of a lot better than the Radioshack iron that i can't wait to throw away!
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

fwiw

ive got an old tennma.... its junk but it works well.... imo... the thing to look for is really availability of replacement tips/styles and temp controll comes it reall handy when your going from making 10 gauge speaker to lifting a surface mount opamp
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Addict

and one more vote for the Hakko 936

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search