The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Manley Varimu trouble?
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

Manley Varimu trouble?

I am having problems with my Varimu. It is serial MSLC 5282. I bought it second hand in May 2003 from a Audio guy in Toronto who said he bought it from an advertising company in the US. Anyway it was working when I got it. And I never used it until now.

Here's what's happening: I made some insert cables to use between my Soundcraft Ghost and the Varimu. The cables work with an Avalon 747. That is when I strap the 747 across the main mix insert I see the meter working and I hear the processing working.

But when I plug the insert cables into the Varimu the same way - I can see the meters working but I can't hear any difference when I adjust the controls. Even when I turn the input and output controls from all the way off to all the way on I do not hear any difference.I've tried sep/link and comp/limit and nothing. But as I said the meters change when I am trying all these different settings but no audible changes.

Is there anything I might not be doing?

Thanks,

Woods

PS: The only time I heard any subtle tonal/level change was when I switched the bypass in and out. By the way when is the Varimu being bypassed? With the switch up to the IN position or down to the BYPASS position?

Thanks,

Woods

Last edited by woods; 9th May 2006 at 03:10 PM..
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

hopefully help

hi
i just dug out my vari mu manwell and found the page on wiring your own cables
it says
stereo jack to male and female xlr for inserts
tip goes to pin 2 of male
ring goes to pin 2 of female
sleeve goes to pins 1 and 3 of both xlrs( go to one pin and tag onto the other)

hope this helps

ps the bypass switches down are bypass , up position should be labelled in?
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

When I first got it I remember trying it out. And it worked. But at that time I did not have it inserted I just came straight out of a signal source and straight thru the Varimu with balanced XLR cables.

The insert cables I made are unbalanced so maybe this is the problem. But would having an unbalanced signal cause the problems I mentioned above, ie. "not hearing any changes"?

Woods
Old 9th May 2006
Moderator emeritus

in your position I'd call or e-mail Manley if you can't figure it out from the manual (which, I believe, is available on their site).
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

I just got this email response from the Manley Service Department:

"On the insert cables, remember the Variable Mu is BALANCED TRANSFORMER COUPLED in and out. If you are running UNbalanced inserts then make sure to ground pin 3 and do not float it at the Variable Mu or one leg of the transformer will be flying around. Treat Pin 2 as HOT and 1&3 as GROUND in an unbalanced situation.

And make sure the BYPASS switches are not set to BYPASS.... UP = IN; DOWN= BYPASS

The owners manuals are online if you need to read them."

IF, if this unbalanced insert cable / grounding situation --- is this a situation that can cause the problems I mentioned above?
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

I got a link from Manley to a manual of theirs that has some diagrams for insert cables - on page 20.

http://www.manleylabs.com/PDF/HIFI_M...manual2006.pdf

I made the cables like the diagram (basically connecting pins 1 and 3 on the XLR male and female) and now the Varimu works great over the insert. But now I am getting a bloody hum. The old inserts don't humbut they don't work at all.

Any thots?

Thanks,

Woods
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

I just discovered something else.

The hum only occurs when:

1. I plug the the insert cables in the right half of the Ghosts main patch
plugs in the back. In other words the (mix insert, aux 5 to 8, the 2 trk A
and B inputs etc. In other words the first 4 rows of jacks in the main area
on the back are "no hum and the next 4 rows are hum). There's no hum when I
have them plugged in to the group inserts and the first four aux returns.

2. Only when the AFL buttons down on the group fader area or a solo button
down on an individual ch.

3. Even when the cables are not plugged in to the Manley gear.

Any thoughts?

Woods

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search