The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Replacing 1176 bulbs-they seem stuck
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Replacing 1176 bulbs-they seem stuck

im attempting to replace my 1176 bulbs. this is my first time trying this. they seem to be a bit stuck. i moved the copper arms in the back of the meter away to expose the bulbs and am carefully trying to pry them out (with a knife) but it seems like they're pretty stuck. anyone have any advice on this? ii haven't applied a lot of force yet but that would be the next move it seems. am not a tech expert and want to make sure i don't mess up the unit. any advice is appreciated. thanks. josh
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hmmmm...try something thin like an Exakto knife blade under the outer flange of the bulb.

Bri
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

thanks brian. i had to apply more force than expected but that did the trick. wow, ive had this 1176 for 4 years without a lit bulb. it looks great with some light in it.
Old 11th September 2010
Lives for gear

Resurrecting a very old thread here, but I have a rev H 1176 and I'm in the same situation as the OP. These puppies don't seem to want to come out and I don't want to break anything using brute force. Can anybody tell me from these pics if there's anything I need to do to get to these bulbs to replace them?

Replacing 1176 bulbs-they seem stuck-dsc_0032t.jpg

Replacing 1176 bulbs-they seem stuck-dsc_0033t.jpg
Old 11th September 2010
Lives for gear

You just need to be able to get hold of the bulb or prise it out. They were often sticky, possibly due to the little solder bulge on the base. Try a couple of jewellers screwdrivers from each side. Or your fingernails, that's always worked for me!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search