The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who's making DB25 cables?
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Who's making DB25 cables?

Pulling out all the cable making stuff here.

I’ve done an occasional DB25 for computer stuff.
(But never for the studio).
(Did all my own cables in the past).

1. What brand of DB25’s do you use?
2. Are they solder or crimp type?
3. Any clamps, vices you like to hold DB25?

This will be used for Radar V which follows
Tascam DA-88 wiring standard.

Thanks,
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm all for making my own cables, but DB25's are insane. Call Redco, save your sanity and eyesite.
'
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

AMP shells and inserts with solder cups. Plain old Panavise for holding while I solder.
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

When you need two snakes each with DB25s on one end and something else on the other end (XLR or TRS, for example), here's a good solution:

Buy a single snake cable from the likes of Have, Inc. that is twice as long as you need, and has DB25s on both ends. Cut it in half, and terminate the new ends with whatever you need. Thusly you've saved yourself a bag of money by doing the individual channel connectors yourself, while avoiding the hair-pulling hassle of dealing with the DB25s yourself. It's a compromise between labor and capital, and I think it works out pretty well.
Old 9th May 2006
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses
When you need two snakes each with DB25s on one end and something else on the other end (XLR or TRS, for example), here's a good solution:

Buy a single snake cable from the likes of Have, Inc. that is twice as long as you need, and has DB25s on both ends. Cut it in half, and terminate the new ends with whatever you need. Thusly you've saved yourself a bag of money by doing the individual channel connectors yourself, while avoiding the hair-pulling hassle of dealing with the DB25s yourself. It's a compromise between labor and capital, and I think it works out pretty well.
Very clever idea! Wish I'd thought of it long ago, before I made my own snakes for a Tascam MX2424. Making the DB-25 ends was highly time consuming and tedious to the point of madness.

If you're fast and clean with a soldering iron and a fast cable-prep, go for it. Otherwise:
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

I make my own. I use AMP shells and connectors, and crimp style is the only way to. It goes fairly quick if you can prepare the ends neatly.
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks for info:

Ulysses: It’s interesting that I’ve done the “cut cables in half” trick before,
but when it came to DB25s and snakes it never came to mind. (Good reminder).

I’ve been soldering since age 7. It’s a basket weaving kind of thing.
(Well, DB25s don’t exactly fall in that category).

I will probably intermix buying pre-made and building cables. When something
happens that wasn’t planned on, or some new gear comes in, sometimes the wait for off the shelf cable(s) messes things up.

AMP DB25s will be kept in stock here. (Haven’t made final choice on solder,
or crimp). But I may keep a cable in stock just for cutting in half. heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search