The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Transfomer recommendations for my ribbon mics
Old 6th May 2006
Gear Addict

Transfomer recommendations for my ribbon mics

I have a pair of Nady RSM-2 ribbons which I like pretty well. I have removed the inner cages and nylon socks from them which opend up the highs a bit. Now I would like a little more clarity without losing their fabulous huge sound. I have decided to try different Xformers. Anyone have any thoughts on which ones I might try?

M
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Addict

Well, just for the record I did some looking and asking around and decided to order Lundahl LL2911 Xformers.

Surprised more people aren't playing with these mics.

M
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear
Shiny Box sells basically the same ribbon mics, and you can order them with either the Lundahl or Cinemag transformers. They have downloadable sample files so you can hear the difference between stock and the two xfrmers.
www.shinybox.com
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Lundahl in a 46

I have a basic Shinybox 46, that I'm swapping the stock transformer for a Lundahl.

The Lundahl only cost about $65, but it's not a drop in replacement like the Cinemag -- which costs the same amount. I've got to cut a piece of perfboard to fit it.

- Jim
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Cinemag vs Lundahl

I'd like to follow-up by asking what the sonic qualities/differences between these two makes are? Sure, it's probably application specific, but are there general tonal qualities that can be expected by each make?
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear
As I stated before, Shiny Box has mp3 files of stock, Cinemag, and Lundahl transformers.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

I listened to those mp3s several months ago, and couldn't here a diff between the Cinemag and Lundahl.

That's why I posed the question.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Addict

Hi,

When I found that I would have to do some fabricating to get the Lundahls to fit I decided to use the same Cinemags that the ShinyBox dude is using. They should be here pretty quick so I will post when I have some results. Maybe a shootout against an R84.

And no, I could not tell much difference in the Cinemag and Lundahl clips except that maybe the sound is a bit rounder at the bottom, or more tube-like (dare I say even "Toob-lyke") with the Lundahls.

M
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

TapeOp review

The Shinybox 46 mics are reviewed in the current issue (#53).

Here's what Thom Monahan had to say about the Cinemag and Lundahl transformers.

"As for the tonal differences, the Cinemag seemed to bring out the sweeter and more resonant qualities of the 46, while the Lundahl had a much more extended top end that really provided a suprising amount of detail. The Cinemag transformer was a bit more musical, and the Lundahl was a bit more accurate ."

He also states that the Lundahl puts out slightly higher gain than the Cinemag.

- Jim

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search