The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
nyquist responce theory useless Condenser Microphones
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatz42
Just to be precise, you can't filter out jitter (if you could, life would be fine indeed and we could all use cheap clocks.) You're referring to harmonics above the Nyquist frequency, which reflect back across that frequency (so at 48KHz sampling, a 30 KHz component would show up at 18KHz, or worse, a 45KHz component would show up at 3 KHz.) This aliasing can be used on purpose if you want to do frequency translation (say, a DSP-based radio tuner.)
Reading through your post again .. I think we're both on the same page .. and I think you're right using the word jitter in this sense .. I should have been a bit more careful in my wording as it could cause some confusion.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search