The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
nyquist responce theory useless Condenser Microphones
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

Name a transducer that comes close to half of what you're talking about.
Name a conductor.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Head

With all this said, lets all remember this stuff will end up on an iPod as a low res mp3 that the consumer will listen to while mowing the lawn. Are we splitting hairs on some of this stuff or am I crazy?
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR
Name a transducer that comes close to half of what you're talking about.
Name a conductor.

name??, what am i talking about?

b&k mics

earthworks

many preamps.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Head

BRAINWAVE RESONATIONS

[/SIZE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunofason
With all this said, lets all remember this stuff will end up on an iPod as a low res mp3 that the consumer will listen to while mowing the lawn. Are we splitting hairs on some of this stuff or am I crazy?

lets remember how approx 99.9% of music played on ipod does not require a high level of transperancy. as we all know that mics and all the other sluty gear make the tones of the actual instruments sound better for popular music.

let me put it to you this way.

low level perception resonates better with lower frequencies. as lower frequencies contain less information in time.

there are not to many people who wish to speed up there awarness beyond the limits of what they are already physically capable of.

Most only wish to learn how to exlude the perception they dont like and remain in the perception most pleasing to them.

higher frequencies contain more information per moment, they become of little value to those who are to slow to percieve them.

when people resonate with higher frequencies they become very sensative to the environment.
they include as much as possibible in their awarness in order to
reach beyond, percieving the unkown.

in most recordings you can hear drummers thinking about the timeing,
and feel how tired the guy is who is playing that lead break for the, how many times this week.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Head

First there was the sound.

then it got faster because it was combining with everything else.

who put the wall at 20khz.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Nut

teen wolf can hear that stuff too.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
who put the wall at 20khz.
Everyone who isn't a 4 year old girl.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

I'll be damned, he/she was right about the transducers.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Head

assemblage point

Quote:
Everyone who isn't a 4 year old girl.
that may be truer than you think. a very young child does respond to higher frequencies better than most adults. especially girls. (not only hearing).
there world is more open, they don't need to shut certain parts of themselves down because they don't need to conform to mass consciousness. that is why a childs world is so imaginary. they can see the unknown because they havent yet learned to put those walls in place. and when they do they cannot remember what it was like when they where young.

when adults manage to put these walls down at times throught there lives they experience a high, joy and bliss. they then go about there lives trying to repeat the circumstances that produced that bliss, not realising that it is within themselves that the bliss was allowed to take place.
this high is always present around you and all you need to do is accept it. put the walls down, and watch how the adults around you try to shroud you in a wall of their dissonant fear. fear of the unkown.

most humans do not respond harmonically to their environment/world. they shut it out in order to be more connected to achieving circummstances that will lead to circumstances (very limited conecetion). and to think a childs world is imaginary when in fact they are trying to respond thier immediate environment.

even if we cant explain it doesn't mean we don't have to live it. even if we cant see it does not mean it is not there. even science tells you that.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Head

evolution begins with the creation of a sound.

Our evolution depends on it.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

per·ceive (pər-sēv') pronunciation
tr.v., -ceived, -ceiv·ing, -ceives.

1. To become aware of directly through any of the senses, especially sight or hearing.

If you cant hear / see / feel it, you are not perceiving it.

Feelingsat24khz - Your posts sound like you are a acid head.

All equipment that we use to record music is designed and developed by scientists. They have DEEP knowlege of the theories and application thereof.

You are an airy fairy anti-science bull****ter hippie troll with too much time on your hands and not even a basic schoolroom physics grasp of the concepts.

I hope you 'perceive' what I am saying!
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelingsat24khz
evolution begins with the creation of a sound.

Our evolution depends on it.
Killin' me here dude.

Pissing my pants.... I mean ****TING my pants....

This is too funny.

Einstein on Acid, haha!!!!!!

Keep 'm coming, killer, my daily portion of laughter!
Some more of that eveloution theory of yours, please....

KILLING meheh heh heh heh heh

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB

Einstein on Acid, haha!!!!!!
No, Einstein on acid would be far far far more enlightening and entertaining than this guy.

Let us address his initial statement: "Nyquist response theory useless" - well considering the practical and extremely relevant application of this theory, 'HIS' theory that shapes our lives and contributes to our creative endeavour at this moment in time, I would say this:

Nyquist response theory...... Very F*ckin' USEFUL!

yes we could all philosophise about frequencies until the cows come home - I mean if we wanna get deep, let's talk Quantum Physics, lets talk psychic energy, the minute electrical impulses given out from brain waves, subtle powerful, Unseen Cosmic forces emanating from us at every second.........yadda yadda yadda.

This ain't the forum for that stuff.

Everytime I bounce a file, record a singer, convert some audio, listen to some music I think:

Now let's leave this crazy thread to evapourate into the universal ether........
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz
per·ceive (pər-sēv') pronunciation
tr.v., -ceived, -ceiv·ing, -ceives.

1. To become aware of directly through any of the senses, especially sight or hearing.

If you cant hear / see / feel it, you are not perceiving it.

Feelingsat24khz - Your posts sound like you are a acid head.

All equipment that we use to record music is designed and developed by scientists. They have DEEP knowlege of the theories and application thereof.

You are an airy fairy anti-science bull****ter hippie troll with too much time on your hands and not even a basic schoolroom physics grasp of the concepts.

I hope you 'perceive' what I am saying!
everything we percieve is directly through the senses even the unknown. what is your point?

if my posts SOUND like anything to you it is becuase you have a big imagination.

ive got nothing against scientists or their theories or the equipment. again your imagination got the better of you.

i love science! but i do not concern myself with predictability or absolutness.
it becomes very tireing living in predictability and absolutness.
the more you live that way, the less energy you will have.
the more energy you have then better music you will create.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw

Everytime I bounce a file, record a singer, convert some audio, listen to some music I think:

do you really ...ooohhhhh im touched.

not easy to integrate information that is 180 degrees in the oposite direction.
just like phase cancellation you would be empty. the only way around it is to have a 360 degree overview.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
everything we percieve is directly through the senses even the unknown. what is your point?

if my posts SOUND like anything to you it is becuase you have a big imagination.

ive got nothing against scientists or their theories or the equipment. again your imagination got the better of you.

i love science! but i do not concern myself with predictability or absolutness.
it becomes very tireing living in predictability and absolutness.
the more you live that way, the less energy you will have.
the more energy you have then better music you will create.

"To become aware of"

is the important part.

If you can hear 24khz, let us know.

I mean that both ways.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:

"To become aware of"

is the important part.

If you can hear 24khz, let us know.

I mean that both ways.
so how do you become aware of silence? i suppose you hear it.

i do not hear 24khz but can precieve it and yes directly throught the senses i become aware of it.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Addict

If you figure out who on this forum is either a lenghty journalism major or
someone who worked on a government project involving dis information, then
you'll figure out the culprit behind this thread.

You're choice of words, while responding to my comment,
called out your ploy, miss/mister "feelings".

This game is boring.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
so how do you become aware of silence? i suppose you hear it.

i do not hear 24khz but can precieve it and yes directly throught the senses i become aware of it.

Silence is the ABSENCE of sound, (!). You become aware of it because there IS NO SOUND. This is such a simple concept, that having to explain it to someone who is a supposed sound engineer is distressing.

Tell me how you perceive 24K then... you don't hear it, what sense is it you use to "become aware of directly". Smell? Touch? Sight? Taste? Explain what sensation happens to you.

Maybe you are 'special' and 'gifted' and should be studdied so we can all benifit from your perception of the cosmos.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Silence is the ABSENCE of sound, (!). You become aware of it because there IS NO SOUND. This is such a simple concept, that having to explain it to someone who is a supposed sound engineer is distressing.

Tell me how you perceive 24K then... you don't hear it, what sense is it you use to "become aware of directly". Smell? Touch? Sight? Taste? Explain what sensation happens to you.

Maybe you are 'special' and 'gifted' and should be studdied so we can all benifit from your perception of the cosmos.
when you are PERCIEVING NO SOUND you are not hearing it seeing it ect.
but still becomeing aware of it directly through the sense of HEARING.
i thought you where saying that if i cant see or hear it i am not percieving it.

we percieve sound that is above the hearing threshold because that vibration/frequency is haveing an affect on the sound that we can hear.
what you cannot hear or see can be percieved and interpreted directly through the senses in the way it is effecting that wich you can see hear or see.

how do we see the white paint used in the painting where we can see no white colors at all. i cannot see the black dot on a black surface.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

£u(k off, troll.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
how do we see the white paint used in the painting where we can see no white colors at all. i cannot see the black dot on a black surface.
ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Keep 'm coming .

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:

You're choice of words, while responding to my comment,
called out your ploy, miss/mister "feelings".

This game is boring.

the game you are playing is your own. if you are bored, its your own choice.

its up to each individual to see for themselves the many games within the game, and the games that are playing them.

if you know of any ploy........... it is an illusion.
the strings that pull on us, extend outward and inward forever.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Wow... Trying so damn hard to be philosophical that he (Feelin'@24) is letting the very life he is trying to understand slip right past him.

Good job bud.... thumbsup Way to waste a finite amount of time... (though i suppose this post is). How bout u put a cork in it now and go spend some time with friends, family, the dog, or Johnnie Walker Black Label.

-Bye bye thread.
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Addict

So, in other news. I really like Digidesign's Venue.
It sounds hella nice and is hella convenient.
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, in other news. I really like Digidesign's Venue.
It sounds hella nice and is hella convenient.
If anyone out there is interested : Regarding the Digidesign VEnue - I spoke to a nice technician who was given a 'VenuE' by a friend who is a licenced digidesign dealer (including of course the venue) for the sole purpose of taking it apart to see if it is any good inside. Of course this was just a loaner peice so he couldn't keep it, but sure enough he stripped it down and found out this juicy peice of info :

-THE PRE amps ARE Stellar... Put it this way, he told the retailer not to comment to digi on the excellence of the preamps for fear they may realize how much profit they are actually loosing due to the cost of the exceptionally high grade components in the preamps.

Sorry I don't have any real specifics, but some food for thought anyway.

Peace guys, G.S. Rules.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000
...So you apply a 20kHz brickwall filter and those steps disappear - what comes out at the end is actually going to be a really close approximation of that original wave - with an ideal filter, it'll be identical.

Of course, there is no such thing as a realtime ideal filter, so you're going to have artifacting up there at the limits of hearing. But the actual theory part works really well. This stuff is covered in a lot of university level digital courses, it's worth hunting down info on this (I've seen it on a oscilloscope, and it works).

Btw, this is the best reason to be working above 44kHz for regular recording stuff - you can move the D/A filter up much higher so you can have a gentler slope and less degradation.

--dan http://remaincalm.org/
You are the man .. you need the brick wall filter (or as close as you can get one) to get rid of any little jitters in your signal that too high for your sample rate (so you don't have high frequency bumps goofing up your wave sampling) ..
And since filters cause distortion around the cutoff freq (and don't drop off quiite like a brick wall in the real world) you can move your filter to a higher cutoff when using higher sampling rates and therefore lessen the distortion.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Thumbs down fwiw

very poetic... discussing what you cant hear... but frank z covered it all in analretentive caliopee music.....
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush
you need the brick wall filter (or as close as you can get one) to get rid of any little jitters in your signal that too high for your sample rate
Just to be precise, you can't filter out jitter (if you could, life would be fine indeed and we could all use cheap clocks.) You're referring to harmonics above the Nyquist frequency, which reflect back across that frequency (so at 48KHz sampling, a 30 KHz component would show up at 18KHz, or worse, a 45KHz component would show up at 3 KHz.) This aliasing can be used on purpose if you want to do frequency translation (say, a DSP-based radio tuner.)
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Maniac

Not clock jitter .. small variations on a wave .. tiny little bumps if you will .. think of a large perfect sinewave .. big and smooth .. now add to that signal another sinusoid with a very short period .. picture the new sine wave a a sinewave with lots of little bumps on it. If the period of the wave causing the bumps is too short you will have noise (if your sampling rate is too low and you haven't filtered out the little bumps with a lowpass filter).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search