The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
nyquist responce theory useless Condenser Microphones
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsfarm
Organ.

Ok, name another heh

Fair enough some pipe organs might, but that doesnt effect my argument.

Just out of interest, whats the name of the stop that has a fundamental higher than 10k? How common is it in organs around the world?

Skygod you sound very confused.

M
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelingsat24khz
if we are perceiving a sound at 20khz is is because our responce is at least 7 to 12 times higher.

it would be usless to hear a 20khz frequencey if our hearing responce only goes to 20khz as that sound would not have any information to tell us how it is interacting with it's environment.

our brain acts like a filters that removes frequencies that have no deffining charachter.

If only the lower overtones exist it would be like haveing a past but no future. and without a future the sound dies right there and then. and it will give no life or indication of anything. just confusion and emptiness.

Dude you dont have a fking clue what youre talking about. I know it makes sense to you, but your theory is incorrect. Do some more reading on this subject before you waste any more server space.

M
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygod

Excellent! Your gung fu is very perceptive, but the truth is that it goes beyond audible perception. The entire body chemistry is involved.
-------
yes even the attributes of the rock, wood, mountains and water around you contributes to the overall intensity of the vibrational creation.
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogus
Dude you dont have a fking clue what youre talking about. I know it makes sense to you, but your theory is incorrect. Do some more reading on this subject before you waste any more server space.

M
thats what they said to the guy who told everyone the earth was round.

are you going to accept what our science has to say. do you really believe that we cant make cars cheaply and run them on virtually nothing.

audio/frequency is a very powerfull tool......... do you think any goverment will give you that power. you can kill someone with a sound!!!! ...u can program the brain with frequencies or at least distort many of its functions.
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
you can kill someone with a sound!!!!

Yes I saw that movie too. What was it...Moonraker?

Anyone?

Old 7th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
thats what they said to the guy who told everyone the earth was round.

are you going to accept what our science has to say.
hmm let's see, science or Feelingsat24khz ......

actually bad analogy- you are the Flat Earther in this discussion

before you attack a theorem for being wrong, you should take the time to actually learn what it says. If nothing else, it would allow those so inclined to take your argument seriously.
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:

Our ears can respond well above what we hear in order to differentiate that which we can hear.

Kind of a wasted post, but I just wanted to make sure this statement got the attention it deserves....

this place is great!
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yes I saw that movie too. What was it...Moonraker?

Anyone?

I think it was the bird on Shrek that the future Mrs. Shrek was humming at, sort of a memorex tape moment.
Old 7th May 2006
Rep
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes even the attributes of the rock, wood, mountains and water around you contributes to the overall intensity of the vibrational creation.
Wow ... this Troll is OUT to LUNCH ...
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Addict

Cool

I hope everyone understands that I was being sincere about my first response.
Regardless, I think I have been bamboozled as well.

Feelingz, may I ask? Do you represent the software company from London, England: "Signwave"/"Signwave UK"?
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq

before you attack a theorem for being wrong, you should take the time to actually learn what it says. If nothing else, it would allow those so inclined to take your argument seriously.
that would be too easy.
Old 8th May 2006

The "kill someone with a sound" movie was DUNE. The best movie ever!
Old 8th May 2006

so at 11k we can only hear sine waves?
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

That's why we have filters. Your 44.1k signal is beling sharply filtered at 20k, so those xtra harmonics that create the square or trangle wave at 20k are filtered out and you're left with a nice sine wave.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Firstly, I am damn surprised no-one has mentioned my second statement yet.

Secondly, Walters?
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yikes! Walter's offspring?
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berolzheimer
That's why we have filters. Your 44.1k signal is beling sharply filtered at 20k, so those xtra harmonics that create the square or trangle wave at 20k are filtered out and you're left with a nice sine wave.
exactly so in other words we do not hear any definition at 20khz because all we can reconstruct is a sinewave. it would be pointless to just hear that singwave at 20khz because it has no defining properties. that 20khz signwave is only usefull to frequencies at half of that and below. There would be no point in hearing that frequency as it would only be able to give us one sound and one sound only. and if we could only hear one sound at a specific frequencey there would be not point in hearing it at all as it would sound exactly like every other 20khz sound.

We cannot hear 22khz or 44 khz but we can hear how that 22 or 44khz effects the character of a signal at least half of that.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
just confusion and emptiness.
Sorta like what's between your ears.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefcasemanx
so at 11k we can only hear sine waves?
rain

we never just hear singwaves unless that is what they are.
it would be a pointless waste of perception and would only confuse you.

so if you are hearing something i am shure that it contains information that you can interperate above that frequencey even if you cannot hear that frequencey.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscoleman
Sorta like what's between your ears.
the value of emptiness you have overlooked.

The more u know the more there is to know. And if you are never confused you will never propel yourself to a higher octave of understanding. the less you think you know the more knowledge that you have room for. stay pure.

yes i am empty. yes i am confused.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Is that you Walters? You seem to have the same english comprehension and spelling difficulties. (Or maddening troll techniques as the case may be).

Taken from a childrens science site:

Quote:
Sound waves cause the tympanic membrane (eardrum) to vibrate. Humans can hear sounds waves with frequencies between 20 and 20,000 Hz. The three bones in the ear (malleus, incus, stapes) pass these vibrations on to the cochlea. The cochlea is a snail-shaped, fluid-filled structure in the inner ear. Inside the cochlea is another structure called the organ of Corti. Hair cells are located on the basilar membrane of the cochlea. The cilia (the hair) of the hair cells make contact with another membrane called the tectorial membrane. When the hair cells are excited by vibration, a nerve impulse is generated in the auditory nerve. These impulses are then sent to the brain.
You simply can't hear any frequency higher than the shortest cilia in your ear.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

The more u know the more there is to know. And if you are never confused you will never propel yourself to a higher octave of understanding. the less you think you know the more knowledge that you have room for. stay pure.

Ok, two options:
1 you are (the new) Walters and deserving an Oscar here
2 you know just enough about sine wave physics to be dangerous, which basically means that other, more knowledgeble people on the subject, can identify your lack of knowledge long before you can yourself.

I hope it's 1 and then you definetely punked me, but I fear it might be 2, which makes it kinda funny anyway .
Keep punching, sport!

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
We cannot hear 22khz or 44 khz but we can hear how that 22 or 44khz effects the character of a signal at least half of that.

Nope, you can't. If it's outside the audible range, you won't hear it. Simple as that. Where are you getting this stuff?

Do you sell PT HD systems maybe? A 192 pusher?

44.1kHz is it for me.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
So youre saying that a sound we cant hear can change our perception of a sound we can? Where is your evidence for this?

M
the evidence is all around you. nature will tell you that you cannot see or hear something that does't have a refference point. it would be out of this world or morphing constantley or just plain invisible. there is no perception in this world without the present moment wich must contain a past and future to be deciphered.

if there was nothing beyond a certain point and you existed at that point your existance would be pointless. or impossible, ro just plain delusion.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger
Is that you Walters? You seem to have the same english comprehension and spelling difficulties. (Or maddening troll techniques as the case may be).

Taken from a childrens science site:

You simply can't hear any frequency higher than the shortest cilia in your ear.

Get it right people you can percieve those frequencies not hear them.I never said you can hear them. you can hear the difference it makes to frequencies below.

Popular science may have you all believing in it. it's easy to just believe what science tells you. I know nothing. only the distribution of energy to my perception. Science can only look at something that can be repeated every day.

I have nover repeated any twice the same way. neither has the universe.

there is more to it than figures and determanistic calculation.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
the evidence is all around you. nature will tell you that you cannot see or hear something that does't have a refference point. it would be out of this world or morphing constantley or just plain invisible. there is no perception in this world without the present moment wich must contain a past and future to be deciphered.

if there was nothing beyond a certain point and you existed at that point your existance would be pointless. or impossible, ro just plain delusion.

Dude, you need to lay off the hippie drugs. Here's a test for you. Listen to a 10khz sine wave and a 10khz square wave. The first odd harmonic in a 10k square wave would be 30khz, well above the human threshold of hearing. If you can hear a difference between these two waves, then you're theory is correct, you can perceive freq's higher than 20khz without "hearing" them.

But since your theory is dead wrong, none of this matters anyway.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDrive
Dude, you need to lay off the hippie drugs. Here's a test for you. Listen to a 10khz sine wave and a 10khz square wave. The first odd harmonic in a 10k square wave would be 30khz, well above the human threshold of hearing. If you can hear a difference between these two waves, then you're theory is correct, you can perceive freq's higher than 20khz without "hearing" them.

But since your theory is dead wrong, none of this matters anyway.
you want me to tell you if there is a difference with speakers that only go to 20khz.

I can hear the difference between a sine wave and a square wave on my analogue synth at frequencys around 10khz. .
Old 8th May 2006
Rep
Lives for gear

Quote:

I thought you were just playing around,

trying to Bate others with YOUR Stupid concocted theories. tutt

But it looks Like you really Do believe your own ****,

...I guess you really ARE this Stupid ...
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
How many speakers do you know that go to 40khz.

this is unfortunatley almost impossible to test this without the right equipmet that goes tiwce as far as the hearing threshold. and that test would only determine the harmonic an octave above. to determine the exact position of that 1st odd harmonic in the correct relationship with the fundamental we would need at least 12,24,48 times sampling rate. it may respond to 30khz at 60khz recording but it will only be a guess as to where exactley the realtionship of that 30khz is with respect to the 10khz. that 30khz signal could be anywhere along the length of the 10khz wave harmonically or not and could actually be in infinate different places between the rise and fall of the wave.

Lets say you have an orange board made up of red and yellow dots.
you cannot see any of the yellow or red dots seperatley but if you take one away it will not be orange any more.
even though we cant see it doesn't mean we do not percieve it with the same cognative instrument.
Hilarious!

Go slugger, kill 'mall .

Pissing my pants here.

Thiss will be a classic, better than the AC cable thread.
Sticky?

heh heh heh

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideByZero
You must have some pretty fancy microphones if you're concerned with picking up harmonics in the 40k range. This is truly the High End forum in every sense of the word.
Earthworks QTC40's and QTC50's

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search