The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
amek classic power supply
Old 6th May 2006
amek classic power supply

Hi,

I'm looking into buying a amek classic console but the power supply was mistakenly tossed as it was part of an estate sale.The buyer claims on can be built for a few hundred dollars and was wondering if anyone here has any ideas about this matter.I've emailed amek to see what they have to say.Any other tech info about this board or opinions on sonics would also be appreciated Thanks,

Mike
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have no idea how many Amps the desk would draw (and on how many DC rails), but a "few hundred" bucks might be on the low end of reality.

Bri
Old 6th May 2006
Hi,

Thanks for the reply Brian.Have you ever worked on one of these boards and do you have any opinions on the design and reliability? I've read so far that they have worse build quality than the amek Bc boards.Thanks,

Mike
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Nope, never saw one besides in brochures or studio CR pictures.

Bri
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hi
The AMEK Classic was the older sister to the BC2 and even uses the same master boards for the monitoring and aux outputs.
They were all different and so it is not possible to generalise about the amount of power required. Most were supplied with the AMEK MPS15 which supplied about 12 amps at -18V, + 18V, 25A at 5V and 1A at 48V. The MPS15 used 'Power one' equivalent modules in an AMEK built chassis. Depending on size of the desk there may have been 2 supplies originally. It is also possible that 2 supplies were fitted as parallel redundancy as most were involved in broadcast.
If you PM me with more details as to what you have it would be possible to assist. A replacement MPS15 from AMEK (contact via Soundcraft UK spares) was last about £2000 but I don't think they are prepared to make any more.
any supply capable of these power rails should be OK although the 5 Volts does not need anything like 25 Amps, more like 6 Amps, possibly less. The MPS15 supply was 'standardised' to capable of worldwide sales and suit several desks.
Matt Syson
Old 7th May 2006
Hi Matt,

Thanks for all the details- this gives me a good start-I haven't seen the board yet as it's a couple of hours away and I wanted the research the power supply before making the trip.I could send you a pic if you like-I think it's a 32 ch 8 bus with the middle section empty I checked out your site-nice stuff! I really like the layout of your headphone mixers.Do you make them for 110 by any chance? Thanks,

Mike
Old 29th November 2007
Gear Nut

Hey Woofhead,
Did you get a power supply?
Old 30th November 2007
Gear Nut

You better find someone that can make it for you. 2000 is waaaaaaaaay too much for something like this.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search