The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland VSR880 CF card conversion.
Old 26th January 2012
Roland VSR880 CF card conversion.

The Roland VSR880 is a 8 channel harddisk recorder nowadays aincient history. But since they have allmost no value in todays market they can be of benefit with some creativity.

I have one who is a reverb box in my live rig. (2x stereo fx...).

I have another one wich is gonna be converted to take CF cards instead of the current harddisk. This way I can easily record on it and allso take the card out and plug it into my computer and convert the content.

It can allso be a great 6 channel masterrecorder for those of us who do 5.1. surround.

There is now a plugin for reaper. Wich can open any data made by the VSr880.

More info on Roland VS and Home Recording Support, Tips and Community: VS-Planet Homepage. I am gonna use a STARTECH compactflash to PCi card with pci bracket.

I'll add more info later. So if you use a VSR880 or have one lying around and you are interested in a conversion, stay tuned.
Old 10th February 2012
The card is backordered.
Old 13th February 2012
I got refunded. Now I ordered at Conrad. They let me know it was allready in the mail Hope to get it this tuesday.
Old 14th February 2012
Here is a video of a conversion of the VS880. Wich is a similar device.

I found out I need a cable to make mine work. So that video is still in the pipeline.

Old 7th July 2012
Here for the gear

Hi - did you manage to get this StarTech card reader to work in your 880? It would be good to know as I am going to put a card reader in my 1680 but am aware that not all are compatible - I had to try a few different ones in my old 840 before I could get it to work. These StarTech units are available on ebay right now and if yours worked OK I will order one.

Many thanks!

Dave
Old 30th October 2012
Here for the gear

Hi there, I've just bought one of these little units too and was wondering if you managed to get your CF card conversion up and running ok? If so, please can you let me know how you did it and what parts I would need to do mine. Cheers
Old 31st October 2012
It is working. But not with all flash disks.
There are other people who use other type of disks and have succes aswell. I have a feeling flash disks are simply too different in quality that using a a disk on the vsr880 is a hit and miss affaire. That said. I do have a working flash drive.

With Reaper installed you can use the vs dll and import the data from the flashdisk. This however is not working vise versa... Wich I find quite annoying.
Old 31st October 2012
Here for the gear

Yeah, I use Audacity to convert my VS files, I also have a Boss BR1600 and it's a lot easier than trying to use USB 1 to get them off and convert them to WAV files.

By the way, please can you let me know which manufacturers compact flash cards worked for you? I'm about to attempt this conversion and knowing which cards work will help. Thanks in advance and wish me luck!
Old 11th November 2012
How are you doing with the conversion?
Old 22nd February 2013
Here for the gear

Ancient History?

Those who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it. When it was introduced , the 840EX listed for $1100. Now they go for about $60 on ebay. DON'T BUY NEW!

Both the Roland VSR-880 and the VS-890 are far from obsolete. IMHO, the rest of the VS line is crap and were when then were introduced. Try pricing a new portable eight track recorder. Yes, I know, computers offer endless amounts of tracks but some of us feel computers inhibit the creative flow.

I recently purchased an VSR-880 as well as a card reader and I am interested in finding out which cards and how large (GB) the VSR880 will take.

I would also like some opinions on the VS8F-2 card. Is it worth installing in the VSR-880 or would it be better to get modern effects? I am trying to ease the load on my CPU by using hardware where I can.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 24th April 2013
Gear Head

Any info about maximum CF size working with VSR-880?
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur View Post

There is now a plugin for reaper. Wich can open any data made by the VSr880.
Is this really true? can the plugin handle VSR-mode recordings? I'd like to know!!
Old 5th January 2014
It's an ongoing story.... Ha... A third VSR880 is on it's way to my home...
Old 6th January 2014
Lives for gear

indeed - since posting the message above I discovered that the reaper plugin should indeed handle VSR-mode (24bit) recordings, but (I think) only reads from CD backups or external scsi drives etc - not from the roland's *internal* ide drive, which is what you get if you do a SD-card or CF card internal-drive conversion and then pull the memory card and connect it to your pc...

to read from an internal roland-formatted ide drive requires the VSWE software, and hitherto this could NOT handle VSR-mode... so....

a few code-wrestlings later and VSWE now does indeed play nicely with VSR-mode... anyone interested should find more detail on vsplanet

SD card conversion
Also for info - I converted mine with a 44pin ide to 1.8" zif micro-ide adapter, and a micro-ide ribbon and then a 1.8" zif micro-ide to SD-card adapter. This works nicely with my sandisk SD-cards, and because it's all straight-through it means I can have the SD-card poking out of the front of the VSR for very easy pop-n-swap...

Last edited by mutetourettes; 6th January 2014 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: added bit about SD card conversion
Old 11th February 2014
Gear Guru
Any idea on how big of an SD card it can handle? Also.. is it as choosy as it is with CF cards?
Old 11th February 2014
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
to read from an internal roland-formatted ide drive requires the VSWE software, and hitherto this could NOT handle VSR-mode... so....

a few code-wrestlings later and VSWE now does indeed play nicely with VSR-mode... anyone interested should find more detail on vsplanet
Um.. I don't really see much content over at vsplanet... is there a secret back door? handshake?
Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear

There's a subforum for vs880/890/vsr etc - it's in there if you do some searches, in fact i think there's a sticky about vswe..

the stuff about VSR-mode is mostly in this thread...
Vsr880/890 gurus: vsr mode 24bit why uses less space? - VS-Planet Forums

there's a user called 'bear' who handles the authoritative versions of the software 'vswe' (ie vs wave export) , becuase it triggers off most antivirus programs..

he can send you a vswe that will handle everything except VSR mode files.

The original writers let me have the code so I could add in adjustments for VSR mode - but it still triggers antivirus warnings - I've looked, there's definitely nothing virusy in there. PM me if you want to have a go on that version.

As for max size I *think* it can handle *internal* drives of up to 10gig (always in 1-gig partitions though... sigh). It probably is picky about SD cards/CF cards yes - my sandisk SD cards worked fine, the CF card I tried in a CF adapter didn't work at all as an internal drive. If you're using them as an *external* drive via SCSI then I've no idea about size limits.
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
As for max size I *think* it can handle *internal* drives of up to 10gig (always in 1-gig partitions though... sigh). It probably is picky about SD cards/CF cards yes - my sandisk SD cards worked fine, the CF card I tried in a CF adapter didn't work at all as an internal drive. If you're using them as an *external* drive via SCSI then I've no idea about size limits.
wonder if mutetourettes could still be out there ?

there are some nice-looking IDE to SD adapters on ebay.
but it seems like it would need a ribbon extension to be accessible from the
front bay - without unplugging the IDE connector, which wouldn't like the wear.

anyone else available to advise on fitting SD to a VSR-880 ?
Old 17th May 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah i'm still out there... Though no longer driving a roland vsr880. I think bear has my 'adjusted' code still and is hopefully passing it on to those who need.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah i'm still out there... Though no longer driving a roland vsr880. I think bear has my 'adjusted' code still and is hopefully passing it on to those who need.
hi, sorry, missed your reply.
i have a VSR-880 here, thinking of putting an SD adapter in there, and not
sure which type to go for. or how to go about the connections:
-ideally i'd like to fit something that i can get to easily from the exterior,
without unplugging the IDE connection.

i do have a dual IDE-to-CF here already, i think it could work, as one side of
it seems to be 'master', but it has a molex connector - whereas the small SD
adapters don't appear to - and i can't see where i'd connect for power.
this thing has a dual array of pins; also not sure what i have to dissassemble
to create a connection on the VSR.

i see 2 SD types. this one (nice and cheap)
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Adaptateur-d...YAAOSwE45cqiBN

and this:
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Adaptateur-S...QAAOSwtnpXlzjK

connector looks tricky on that, but the orientation of the SD slot is good.
orientation wouldn't matter too much if i have some kind of ribbon to extend
the connection so it reaches the case opening. but also appears to want power.

any suggestions what the best way to go about this is?
i need to open it up again and have another look.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

ah: there's recent discussion of it on VSPlanet:
http://www.vsplanet.com/ubbthreads/u...Board=6&page=1
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

ok: i had a dual IDE to CF adapter here, with an extra adapter to regular
IDE ribbon on it, including a Molex, that was confusing the issue. realised i could
remove this, and now it fits - with a certain amount of hassle, it's hard to
reach, had to remove the top. will need a solution to bring the CF adapter
forwards so i can reach it from the front panel.

so far so good though. going to dig out a CF card later and try it.
i'm considering a modification of the caddy holder that also holds the adapter
for the ribbon to the motherboard, and shorten the depth of the bay, since
a hard drive won't be going back in there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

extender ribbon ?

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

fitted the thing anyway and tried my 2GB CF card.
VSR starts, skips SCSI, activity LED flickering, but no progress.
inside on the adapter, the little LED is on permanently.
waited quite a long time to see if the card had to be read through,
but it didn't go anywhere.

friend suggested i might need to pre-format it with a PC. but what format?
going back over the VSPlanet, guess i'll have to register there.
persevering because i'm not far off the objective.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search