The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need Otari Radar II Formatting software (OS)
Old 11th January 2012
Lives for gear

Need Otari Radar II Formatting software (OS)

Hey guys,

Is there anybody out there with a Radar II that can help me? I'm getting the message "primary hard disk fail" on startup.

I called the guys at IZ. It seems what I need to do is replace the internal hard drive that hosts the operating system. I downloaded the OS 2.54 onto a floppy disk, so I have that but I don't have the original formatting disk(s) that came with the unit, which they said I need as well.

I'm willing to send someone a few bucks if they could make a copy of these.

????

Let me know.
Jon
Old 15th January 2012
Lives for gear

Bump!

It's a bummer this is such an exclusive situation. All I need to do is figure out how to install (the firmware?) and OS on what I imagine is a fairly cheap hard drive.

IZ wants $395 for the hard drive w/OS and firmware installed.

Anyway, if anybody sees this who has the original Radar II install discs I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 14th March 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonk View Post
Hey guys,

Is there anybody out there with a Radar II that can help me? I'm getting the message "primary hard disk fail" on startup.

I called the guys at IZ. It seems what I need to do is replace the internal hard drive that hosts the operating system. I downloaded the OS 2.54 onto a floppy disk, so I have that but I don't have the original formatting disk(s) that came with the unit, which they said I need as well.

I'm willing to send someone a few bucks if they could make a copy of these.

????

Let me know.
Jon
Hi Jon,
Just wondering if you got your Radar-II 'IDE/System Drive' issue worked out
since your post?
Dana Hathaway here w/Access Audio Services. I am a factory trained, veteran Otari Tech from 1999-thru-2005 and also the iTASC (iZ service center) for the West Coast.
Otari Radars, vintage Otari Tape Machines & Consoles are my specialty.
I have the parts and the chops to service your Radar or assist you to take care of it yourself if you'd like. Let me know.
Old 6th April 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccessAudio View Post
Hi Jon,
Just wondering if you got your Radar-II 'IDE/System Drive' issue worked out
since your post?
Dana Hathaway here w/Access Audio Services. I am a factory trained, veteran Otari Tech from 1999-thru-2005 and also the iTASC (iZ service center) for the West Coast.
Otari Radars, vintage Otari Tape Machines & Consoles are my specialty.
I have the parts and the chops to service your Radar or assist you to take care of it yourself if you'd like. Let me know.

Posted April 06, 2012 08:54
I have a RADAR II that works perfectly. I bought 2 new drives that are the exact same drives as the one that actually mounts and another drive that is the same except it is a Cheeta 18Gig drive The 9.1 gig is a Seagate Cheetah ST39103lW 9 Gig SCSI. The 18 gig is a Seagate Cheetah ST39203lW 18 Gig SCSI. None of these drives will mount in the exact same carrier that the working drive uses. The two 9.1 gig drives are brand new sealed in the static bag units.

So, is there some secret to using a new drive OR is the working drive the only one on the planet that will work?

Thanks for any help.
Old 21st February 2020
Here for the gear

OTARI RADAR II - Missing operating system

Hi, I'm also looking for help concerning a RADAR II system:

During bootup I get this error message:

"Missing operating system"

I have the original OS floppy disk but I can't seem to boot or install from it because I'm stuck in the error message during bootup.

Any hints or help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Marcel

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search