The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 noise problems
Old 29th December 2011
Here for the gear

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 noise problems

First of hello everyone and thank you in advance :D
I bought a focusrite scarlett 2i2 yesterday so i could plug my guitar into it an use it trough guitar rig 4 the problem is that when ever i plug my guitar in the interface and turn on guitar rig 4 i get this loud distorted/broken sound, i can hear my guitar slightly under the broken/distorted sound

I Even tried recording it through audacity without any guitar rig plug in or anything just clean guitar and when i played it back all got is broken/distorted guitar sound :(

at first i though it was my guitar cable but then i pluged it into my amp and it sounds just fine. and other thing is that when i connect to my guitar to the interface and use the direct monitoring switch without any program like guitar rig or audacity i can hear my guitar signal clean and clear

i tried using another usbport
i tried disconecting the power suply from my laptop

please please help !!

THANK YOU
Old 3rd January 2012
Focusrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickydownload View Post
I bought a focusrite scarlett 2i2 yesterday so i could plug my guitar into it an use it trough guitar rig 4 the problem is that when ever i plug my guitar in the interface and turn on guitar rig 4 i get this loud distorted/broken sound, i can hear my guitar slightly under the broken/distorted sound

I Even tried recording it through audacity without any guitar rig plug in or anything just clean guitar and when i played it back all got is broken/distorted guitar sound :(

at first i though it was my guitar cable but then i pluged it into my amp and it sounds just fine. and other thing is that when i connect to my guitar to the interface and use the direct monitoring switch without any program like guitar rig or audacity i can hear my guitar signal clean and clear

please please help !!

THANK YOU
Hi Vicky,

Sorry to hear of your issue. I recommend contacting the support team here so that we can help look into this for you: The Official Source for Focusrite Product Support and Information .: Focusrite Answerbase

Best regards,

Chris
Focusrite Support
Old 3rd January 2012
Here for the gear

hey chris thank you for the reply i already contacted focusrite support and i almost fixed the problem my self
i found that if i startup my laptop without the charger pluged in it works fine most of the time i was able to get 0 buzz i still have some problems though il keep updating this tread.
Thank you !!
Old 28th January 2012
Here for the gear

Focusrite noise problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickydownload View Post

please please help !!

THANK YOU
Dear Vickydownload!
I have the same problem with my Focusrite scarlett 2i2. Please share your solution with me if you have it.

Thank You!
Old 29th June 2012
Here for the gear

Hey I have same issue here!
When I put my guitar directly into inst input on 2i2, I always get clipping easily even I turn the gain knob all the way down to zero.

I've tried contact focusrite but still didn't get an answer..
Old 22nd August 2012
Here for the gear

Am sorry buddy i took so long to reply but the problem for me was that everytime i pluged my interface into my laptop and turned on guitar rig 4 and try to play i would get a lot of cracking distorted sound the problem for me was that i had my laptop charger always conected to my laptop. all i had to do was turn off my laptop, disconect the charger ,turn on the laptop , conect my interface , turn on guitar rig , then plug my charger back into my laptop !! then after that i didnt really get any cracking distorted sound ! hope it helps buddy cya around
Old 22nd August 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by livcsipul View Post
Dear Vickydownload!
I have the same problem with my Focusrite scarlett 2i2. Please share your solution with me if you have it.

Thank You!
Am sorry buddy i took so long to reply but the problem for me was that everytime i pluged my interface into my laptop and turned on guitar rig 4 and try to play i would get a lot of cracking distorted sound the problem for me was that i had my laptop charger always conected to my laptop. all i had to do was turn off my laptop, disconect the charger ,turn on the laptop , conect my interface , turn on guitar rig , then plug my charger back into my laptop !! then after that i didnt really get any cracking distorted sound ! hope it helps buddy cya around
Old 29th October 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystycalFanfare View Post
Hey I have same issue here!
When I put my guitar directly into inst input on 2i2, I always get clipping easily even I turn the gain knob all the way down to zero.
Same problem here. Using a PC, so I don't have the option of removing my power supply cable.

Was suggested to buy a DI box, but I'm in no position for any further investment.

I'm using an Ibanez RGA 7 plugged directly into the unit using standard guitar cables. Also, putting the switch on 'line' didn't work, as the tone felt sort of 'sucked out'.
Old 8th November 2012
Gear Maniac

Just to let you know I bought a Scarlett and it never worked
TEch support couldn't help
Just don't buy those they are not ready to hit the market

just search the forums you'll see many people having issues with Scarlett and FOcusrite null support
Old 16th February 2013
Here for the gear
I know this is late in the game, but I contacted Focusrite about a similar issue. For some unfathomable reason, there is no "off" position on these gain pots. There is always audio going through them, so if you have a hot signal, you are going to have to put something like a D.I. for your guitar or a stand alone mic pre for anything that is coming through a mic that's loud. Or, you can go try going into protools or logic or whatever you are using and bring the signal in through an aux input, use that to lower the gain and then bus that over to a regular track. Then you are going to have a latency issue with the track and you will have to shuffle it over to fit in with whatever you are recording. I'm actually kind of ticked off that this issue even exists.
Old 21st February 2013
Focusrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by propsdon View Post
I know this is late in the game, but I contacted Focusrite about a similar issue. For some unfathomable reason, there is no "off" position on these gain pots. There is always audio going through them, so if you have a hot signal, you are going to have to put something like a D.I. for your guitar or a stand alone mic pre for anything that is coming through a mic that's loud. Or, you can go try going into protools or logic or whatever you are using and bring the signal in through an aux input, use that to lower the gain and then bus that over to a regular track. Then you are going to have a latency issue with the track and you will have to shuffle it over to fit in with whatever you are recording. I'm actually kind of ticked off that this issue even exists.
No gain control really cuts the signal. If it did it would have to be applying -Infinity gain and doesn't really give rise to a practical gain scale/range. The lowest gain settings is always minimum gain, not off. This is the same for any preamp.

You are most likely confusing a gain control with a volume fader which would cut the signal at the minimum position.

Chris
Focusrite Support
Old 26th February 2013
Here for the gear

LOL - nothing goes to zero!!

I just have to comment here:

I bought a Scarlett 18i6 and have the "no zero" gain issue. Audible sound from my monitors/headphones when the gain knobs are at zero is unacceptable.

After a few emails with support, I gave up listening to the "nothing can be zero in a circuit etc etc" nonsense.

Perhaps Focusrite could wake up and start making equipment that does the job properly. I never had these issues even with budget priced audio gear and should not expect it with this product.

"Scarlett 18i6’s two award-winning Focusrite preamps ensure low noise and distortion, whilst cutting-edge digital conversion captures your audio with pristine quality. 16 additional inputs allow you to capture inspired takes, without having to constantly re-patch your studio. Combined with the very latest in USB interfacing technology, excellent routing flexibility and rock-solid driver stability, the Scarlett 18i6 is the heart of the modern recording studio."

Yeah, right!
Old 6th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbass View Post
I bought a Scarlett 18i6 and have the "no zero" gain issue. Audible sound from my monitors/headphones when the gain knobs are at zero is unacceptable.
Well now, as far as the gain issue is concerned I have to agree with Mr.Focusrite. A mic preamp will have a minimum gain so that you will still get signal amplification when the knob is all the way down. It's then up to level controls further down the line - like channel faders - to actually bring the signal down to zero. Having said that, the 2i2 does have a master level knob that should take care of that.

On the other hand though, I had to return two of these 2i2 units because of noise problems. The first one produced a peeping type tone when a cable was plugged into one of the output jacks. The noise stopped if I pushed the phantom power button. The second unit produced some digital garbage noise that was clearly audible on the recording. After returning the second one I just decided to go with the Line6 Ux2. It's too bad because the 2i2 is a cute little box that actually sounds pretty good.

After re-reading your post I have to say that I had that same broken up sound in my setup also. What cured it was to use the interface for recording input only and to use my M-Audio sound card for playback. You may also want to check buffer issues.
Old 12th October 2013
Here for the gear

I have recently had a bad experience with Scarlett 18i20

Clicks and pops straight away (needed an update, and them still happening regardless of internal or external clocks) - and unacceptable level of noise at the analog outs and head phone outs using only DAW routing... really noticeable when you gain up. Compared to a TC Konnekt, which is silent for example in exactly the same setup... I'm returning the unit to the dealer.

Shame, its a nicely designed box on the outside, and the software mixcontrol is good
Old 24th February 2014
Here for the gear

I bought the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and am having an issue where when I use a mic, no problem, but when I use a guitar, through the board via an attenuator, the signal to noise ratio is absolutely unforgiveable (hiss). I don't understand what the difference is as the level into the unit is the same using an instrument or a mic, and the source is the same (mixing board).

I can mic the amp, but prefer to have the option not to have to.

My Mac Mini audio output is shot, will cost 2/3rds of what I paid for it a year ago to fix. Thought this was the solution. Now I'm not sure what to do... is there anything in the $200-ish range to provide USB in/out? I was going directly in to the Mac from my board and monitoring via the headphone out.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Head

Hi jd_234

Can you get in touch about your problem? It would be useful if you could upload a sample of audio and send us the link -> Contact | Focusrite

You may find that the guitar signal is noisier than when played through an amp since there is no low pass/high pass filtering on the input, unlike when using a guitar amp (head/cab). If you can get in touch with more info on your setup, we can check this for you and advise on lowering the input noise. Please also check you are in 'inst' mode on the front of the 2i2 and are using a high quality, screened mono cable.

Best regards,
Old 26th September 2014
Here for the gear

Old 26th September 2014
Here for the gear

Hi,
I've been using a 2i2 for a couple of years now with some of the small M-Audio's. The other day I moved up to some Alesis Monitor One's with the Ra-100 amp. I also just downloaded the current Windows driver (using with a Win7 PC).
When I turn the Ra-100 up full I get a lot of noticeable static noise. It get's noisier when I launch Audition or FL Producer. I managed to reduce some of this noise by plugging direct into the wall instead of into a power strip. The noise fades away if I set the amp at about half, but of course that defeats to purpose of using it. I did not notice this noise with the powered M-Audio's. If I unplug the inputs from the Focusrite there is no noise and my basic thought is it is a power line issue from the PC?
Anybody have any ideas?
Old 21st May 2015
Here for the gear

Try adjusting the Focusrite Buffer Length. Click your Start button, Search for Focusrite and click, which should bring up the audio driver buffer length meter. Adjust right or
left on the meter as you test the sound./ I had to go all the way to 10 to get rid of noise.
Old 21st May 2015
Lives for gear

I have a friend who has a Scarlett 212 and is using it with Protools. The interface constantly and randomly changes its configuration on startup.
Why is this happening? My friend is not technical and it drives him nuts (and then he drives me nuts!). Also the mixer app is not very friendly.
Old 3rd June 2015
Gear Maniac

My 18i20 started to do the same - clicks and pops, all the time, when something conected to its inputs....
Agghhhhh
Old 7th June 2015
Here for the gear

Laptops, Audio Interfaces... like Focusrite Scarlett and others isn't grounded.

A lot of the problems encountered in wiring an audio system are related to ground. Symptoms of ground trouble include hum, weak signal, crackling noises...

Old 1st February 2016
Here for the gear
Not sure if this will help. Try using a shorter USB cable. I just bought the 2i2, connected it to the old (and much longer) USB cable I had from before and got the same crackling sound everyone is describing here. Not necessarily when plugging in but definitely only during audio playback. When there was not audio, the crackling would disappear. I remembering reading somewhere that long USB cables can be problematic and so I changed it out with the one that came in the box and the crackling stopped altogether.
Old 6th February 2016
Here for the gear

Hey guys! I have the focusrite 2i4 and every day i connect it to my laptop, it always works! However, today, i plug it in and a short, loud, static comes through the headphones then silence. i see the green rig lights but no sound. i've switched cable and laptops but the issue is the interface itself. what should i do?
Old 9th June 2019
Here for the gear

I'm having a problem that seems very similar to the original post, it's on a solo not the 2i2 but what's weird is I've been using this device almost every day for the last year without issue and had even used it earlier in the day.

What happens is, guitar or bass plugged into the instrument input produces a hard digital distortion so bad you can barely hear the instrument. It sounds exactly the same on direct monitor.

The same instrument cables (tried two brand new ones) work fine plugged into a regular amp. I can play existing stuff back via the solo fine so I don't think it's the USB cable (it's the cable that came with, short and seems fine)

I did try both with the laptop plugged in and unplugged without any changes in the result but that's where I'm leaning at this point based on older comments here and intuition (having ruled out cables etc and also this started when I took the setup to someone else's house)

I'm going to try some more experiments and will post any results here but I would also love any input or suggestions.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search