The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
VCR's and LDR's
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

VCR's and LDR's

Hi All

Just wanting to know your thoughts on resistor replacement in audio circuits when multi gang pots are not an option. Say for example you wanted to make a variable 24dB per octave high pass.

LDR's require a fair amount of additional circuitry to linearize their resistance taper and to compensate for ambient temp changes. Also matching is an issue.

JFET VCR's seem to be a better solution (ie: VCR2N) if feedback is used but is the typical distortion figures you would get acceptable?

Has anyone had experience with both?
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I did.
I used FETs in guitar effects, and LDRs in anti-clipping limiters of power amps. I would not use them vice-verse.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Nut

Hi Wavebourn

I should have mentioned that I was referring to line level pro audio devices only.
Old 19th September 2011

You could use FETs and several resistors to create a stepped potentiometer.

"Digital Potentiometers" are pretty good these days, but I don't think you can use most of them to +/- 15v. http://www.analog.com/static/importe...ets/AD5222.pdf

Or, you could use a FET with a PWM gate drive to vary the effective resistance at audio frequencies.

-tINY

Old 19th September 2011
Gear Nut

Yeah. I guess the LM13700 would be a good candidate.
Old 20th September 2011

Can you still get OTAs? They were really hard to find in the mid 90's.

-tINY

Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's hard to get decent audio quality from OTA's, even the latest generation with linearizing diodes. I don't think you'll want to go there.

Why not simply use a VCA like the THAT2180 family - or even a multiplying DAC controlled from some PIC?

Jakob E.
Old 20th September 2011

I like the VCA idea - just need a control voltage....

If using it to adjust the corner frequency of a filter, the OP must remember that the output is a log funtion of the control voltage. If using one in a filter circuit, you may have to change your topology radically (as it's not really a variable resistor...). http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/dn130.pdf

-tINY

Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diezel_addict View Post
Hi Wavebourn

I should have mentioned that I was referring to line level pro audio devices only.
You should read my previous posting like for line levels I prefer LDRs because other methods like FETs and LTPs give worse distortions. On mic levels FETs may be fine in terms of distortions, but noise-wise I would not attenuate mic level signals.

But for filters (EQ/Crossover?) I would rather use stepped approach, either rotary switches, or FET switches with multiple resistors or capacitors.
Old 22nd September 2011

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search