The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Repairing CAD m179 Condenser Microphones
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Repairing CAD m179

Hi,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I dropped my CAD M179 LDC and now it's emitting static (white noise) any time I try to use it.

Are repairs possible? If so, where might I send it for repairs? What are the chances of me being able to fix it myself? (I know a bunch about computers/electronics but definitely more on the software side than the hardware side)
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

I'd say if you're even slightly technically inclined, as it sounds like you are, you'd be safe to at least take it apart and look for anything obvious. It's possible that it's something simple like one of the (very tiny gauge and frail) capsule leads broke off from its solder point on the PCB. It could be a very simple soldering job that you or a buddy or any kind of tech could pull off.

If you do take it apart and can't see anything out of place, then clearly your next recourse would be to find a respectable tech, but you won't know until you at least do that.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Oh definitely have a go at it, but is it not still on warranty?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search