The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recapping an Eventide H3000 Analog Processors (HW)
Old 16th September 2011
Recapping an Eventide H3000

Recapping an Eventide H3000, is it worth it?
My unit works as should. Only thing that bothers me is that when the led-bars light up, the display dims a little.
I first thought that this might be due to failing caps in the PSU and/or power rails.
I've read that the PSU transformer is underspeced and this behaviour kinda confirms this.
I don't think that recapping will cure the led-bar/display dim behaviour. New caps will hold the needed current a bit longer but in the end the display WILL dim when the transformer is not able to supply the needed current. Or am I missing something?

Now, this unit is rather old, with lots of tantalum caps on the power rails.

What do you people think? Recapping? Or just leave it as is?

Anyone with a similar experience?
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

To correct the flickering, try adding a ground wire between the ground of the front panel and one of the main ground points in the power supply section. This always works for me. (Of course, be 100% sure of your connections before powering up, so nothing is damaged.)

It's not a bad idea to recap the unit while it's open. The 6800UF caps can be hard to find but we have them on our web store: 6800UF 16V 105C Axial Electrolytic Capacitor I think we have the other caps on our store as well.
Old 16th September 2011
Thanks David! That did it...
Old 16th September 2011
Sometimes, usually not. When they blow they emit deadly tantalum fumes, don't breath that!

Newer el caps exceed tantalum's performance, except for leakage current. Try the new Panasonic FR series, those are 1/4 the impedance of tantalums and are rated up to 10,000 hours at 105 degrees for a 40 year lifespan. They are also smaller case sizes so larger values can be fiited. Nichicon VZ are also good for mains caps. I would try and fit 10,000 uf's in there.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Be careful with the traces, they are hard to work on. Cleaning the PSU connector with Kontakt Gold helped with my H3000 to get rid of the flickering.
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann View Post
Cleaning the PSU connector with Kontakt Gold helped with my H3000 to get rid of the flickering.

Yes, I've read your post about this somewhere...so it's the first thing I did :-)
Old 5th November 2015
Gear Head

Awesome info here. Thanks to all...

Old 5th November 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kulka View Post
To correct the flickering, try adding a ground wire between the ground of the front panel and one of the main ground points in the power supply section. This always works for me. (Of course, be 100% sure of your connections before powering up, so nothing is damaged.)

It's not a bad idea to recap the unit while it's open. The 6800UF caps can be hard to find but we have them on our web store: 6800UF 16V 105C Axial Electrolytic Capacitor I think we have the other caps on our store as well.
Hi David,

I'm thinking of replacing the top and bottom panels on my H3000 with PVC or ABS to reduce some resonant transformer hum.

I powered the unit on with the factory steel panels removed, and noticed some flickering in the display after several minutes. When I replaced the lower panel, it went away.

Would this be attributed to a diminished quality of ground between the front panel and the chassis?

If so, and a ground wire could eliminate this issue after I change out the panels, what specific points should the ground wire be connected to?

I see a grounding post on the chassis itself, at the back next to the AC inlet - would this be a good location for one end of the wire?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Last edited by Musicesque; 5th November 2015 at 04:38 PM..
Old 5th November 2015
Lives for gear

Except replacing of native mains transformer by two sepparate toroidal, for didigital and analogue parts - I reinforced powerline of LCD backlit +5V from digital part, by seprate twisted wires, to eliminate this annoying flickeriing.

I.e. flickering not gone, even after replaicing of trasnformer by more powerfull with high current, and yes, cleaning of molex connector pins with special gell, very clean connector.

After connecting directly molex coonector and LCD backlit circuit by separate power line - flickering gone, more than 1.5 years already.

PS. I did not recapping. Just measured by special tester all electrolytical caps throughout, just in circuit - all had 6700-7300uF and perfect ESR respectively.
Attached Thumbnails
Recapping an Eventide H3000-h3000-backlit-circuit.gif  
Old 10th November 2015
Lives for gear

This is where I typically add a ground wire to correct the display flicker problem. These photos show the two ends of a wire I've added, which is light green.
Attached Thumbnails
Recapping an Eventide H3000-dscn7609..jpg  
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

Still can`t undesrtand how two these issues, with buzzing transformer and LCD flickering could be possible, in such excellent legendary device as for engineering of sound part, and processing.
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

Age !!
Old 5th June 2016
Gear Maniac
does anyone happen to have the specs for the current requirements of the individual voltage rails of the H3000 (D/SE) power transformer?
Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear

mart, I think I have a transformer solution for you, will PM you.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search