The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DISSERTATION ideas. music Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

DISSERTATION ideas. music

Hi there everyone, I have just started my finale year at uni studying music production, its dissertation time and i need some really cool ideas,

previous times when i posted a thread on this it has been highly successful, so I am hoping this goes in the same direction.

i have to do 5000 words and a practical. previous student have done stuff such as build a compressor, distortion pedal, visual effects to live performance etc.

if anyone can give me ideas on what maybe you have done or cool ideas you heard about i would be much appreciated

many thanks
Tom
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Are you an undergrad or grad student? Do you have electronics skills? I would definitely recommend building something that you are interested in and that would be useful to you after you graduate. For a senior class project my group built a few guitar pedals, then for the paper and presentation went into the technical details of how they worked. Lots of potential projects depending on what you like and are good at.

Compressor - could do an SSL or 1176 style clone
Mic Pre - Classic API would be good if you have a lunchbox
Summing Box - could compare OTB vs ITB summing
Acoustic Panels - compare recordings with treated and untreated room
Guitar Pedals - tube screamer, fuzz, delay are all classics

Or you could do something fun with psychoacoustics like examining how distortion (type and amount) affects perception of music quality (you would need test subjects for this though).
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search