The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar wiring confusion
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Guitar wiring confusion

I know not everyone will like the way I'm wiring this.
But I have a Slight issue as I think I wired this backward and may modify the circuit.

2 humbuckers, hot goes to individual volume knobs ( left out tone knobs, I don use them.)
Hot is on lug 3, lug 2 is output and lug 1 is grounded.
Lug 2 on each volume goes to center-common lug SPDT 2-position switches. One wire from each switch goes to the tip on the output jack.
One lug connects to ground.

I believe the problem is that when both are on the volume knobs behave weirdly. I believe cause the 500k pots are technically wired in parallel? When both are on the treble pot could kill almost the entire sound when rolled back, and when the rhythm pickup is rolled back all the way to sound gets flubby but doesn't entirely cut out.
How can I connect these so it's not problematic?
Should I just wire so they o to the switches and a master volume or tone?
Or should I wire the tip output from one switch to the output on the other switch and run one single wire to the tip on the output jack ?
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwaldvogel View Post

When both are on the treble pot could kill almost the entire sound when rolled back, and when the rhythm pickup is rolled back all the way to sound gets flubby but doesn't entirely cut out.
How can I connect these so it's not problematic?
?
Hello,
with this volume control arrangement, you are effectively shorting the output when one (or both) of the volume controls are turned off.

If you want some measure of independent control of the pick-ups when both are selected, connect (in your terminology), Hot to Lug 2 and Output on Lug 3.
The diagram on this link shows it clearly (in your case ignore the Tone controls).
Standard 2 Humbuckers Wiring Diagram

Dr F.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Guitar Wiring Diagam w/ 2 Humbuckers/3-Way Toggle Switch/1 Volume/2 Tones

you might also consider reading the torres engineering site, the parts about 1 and 2 meg pots and the parts about tone controls. GUITAR PARTS

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search